I was hooked.

Gunnar

Squire
What was the moment you knew you were hooked on this crazy game?

I was out on the loop with Squire Scarn, and Storm, and all three of us were doing a loop once around when all of a sudden we heard howling from about 3 people in front of us. 15 build me readied my sword and two spells, until we heard 4 howls behind us answering. Scarn grabbed me by the scruff of my belt and threw me in the woods. We hid, and I watched people walk right by us with my heart pounding in my ears (which then had the 7 werewolves meet up with the rest of town and the wave battle began)

-Ali

I was hooked the first time PCing.

I was playing my fox scavenger (now Wlyderkin) Semaj at an event where there were people from alternate timelines entering into Ashbury. Being a new player and a new character, I didn't know who I could trust or exactly what was going on.
At night I was in the Commoner's Guild at Camp Lindenmere. Suddenly we saw an evil version of Findrth and several lizardmen attacking the town. We realized that fighting these creatures was impossible, so we would grab anyone who lay injured in front of the cabin into the cabin and healed them.
Then the ward was drained and our cabin was surrounded. Findrth then came and said, "You have a choice. Throw down your weapons or die." Needless to say we dropped our weapons.
Fortunately the lizardmen and Findrth rifted out and our cabin wasn't slaughtered.

This was a great moment as it showed the danger level in the game and a taste of a combat setting for the first time.

When a late night mod battle had gone all the hell, we were scattered over 1/4 of a mile, several people were raised as undead and I was hiding behind a dumpster as a tapped 4 or 5th level Celestial guy. And one of the templar's runs up to me and says "healing arts, are you under the affect of fear?" Now I know that's not a legit question (sometimes people get them wrong) but my answer was. "No I'm terrified for real!" ;)

My first event. I was playing Draugr, my Barbarian (now defunct). I was a little over-cautious through most of the event, not wanting to perm my first time playing. That made me feel like I wasn't roleplaying my Barbarian properly. That changed on the final night when we split into a three-pronged attack force.I was with the group of "lesser experienced adventurers". That battle just clicked for me. Looking back on it I wasn't consciously keeping track of my Body points, I just knew when to fall. When I would be healed I popped up immediately and just charged into the fray. It was great.

I can't quite pinpoint an exact moment when I realized that I was hooked on Alliance as it were. Maybe it was that time Marce switched bodies with a human man named Whytrid Fieht. Maybe it was that time I got turned into a dog and roleplayed that all weekend long. Maybe it was the epic battles, the crazy role play or the friends that I've made since...whatever it is that makes it so addicting, I don't really care. :p

It was Memorial Day weekend, 2001, at Nero Central Illinois (International), and my friends and I decided to NPC for our first event. The king's daughter (Played by the chapter owner, Marissa) had a penchant for sneaking out at night to explore the lands, and we took on the role of her loyal bodyguards.

The whole time as we skulked about the woods, she taught us about roleplaying our characters, that we should keep out silver duct-taped swords low and covered to avoid the reflecting the moon light, and how to hold a glowstick so we could see the path, without being seen or losing our night vision.

When we came to the edge of the woods, she signaled for us to drop low to the path. We covered our swords like she taught us, and stared out into the field, lit up by the full moon. I had never spent so much time in the dark before, without any lights from the city, and for the first time I found my "night vision". It was amazing! I couldn't remember the last time that I had seen so many stars, without the dull orange haze of civilization to obscure them. And when the entire town of PC's (About 20 people) walked by, less than ten feet away. I realized how much of a crutch the moon had been to them as they stuck to the open paths, not to mention that they had just come from the tavern, nothing more than a picnic shelter with tarp walls, and a bright, burning firepit in the center.

I couldn't see her smile, but I knew it was there. "Don't make a sound, don't run. Just walk quickly, and follow my lead." With that, she stepped out from the shadows, and walked right up to the trailing PC's without saying a word, and we obediently followed. I would say that she got about 2 feet away when they finally noticed her. The scream I heard couldn't have been simply surprise or roleplay. It was the scream of someone who had suddenly been confronted by an apparition that couldn't be reconciled with what he thought he was seeing. And in that brief moment, I saw what this game had to offer, what no video game or book or movie could ever truly accomplish; A REAL, total, and visceral emotional response. His fight-or-flight response truly kicked in, and I felt a very real sense of accomplishment from this small, simple act. In fact, for the rest of the night, my friend Lyle and I were positively giddy with ourselves.

I have NEVER seen a human being so frightened in my whole life, and I'm a guy who frightens easily. In fact, before Nero, I was terrified of the dark. It's just the thought that there's something out there, and I won't see it until it's too late. It never occurred to me that someday *I* might be that something in the dark.

After the entire train of PC's raced back to us and the Princess explained why she was there, I realized that while everyone was focusing on her and her voice, not everyone could see the two guards immediately behind her. Whenever someone realized that there were more of us, they took a sudden step back in surprise. But we never said a word. We just looked on, as if materializing out of the shadows was perfectly natural for NPC's like us!

That event revealed to me what Nero and larping could be. After the weekend ended, we all had stories. Turns out, the PC's loved that experience as much as we did. We had helped give them a fantastic memory and story that they told over and over again. And when they took the time to thank us for it, I just couldn't have felt better.

I was hooked.

That weekend was full of incredible memories, and most of them didn't involve combat or gold or loot. It was making an emotional impact on a group of people, and giving them those stories that they'd never forget. And in the events that followed and I finally began to PC, I remember performing my first resurrection as one of the few town healers, and roleplaying my heart out. I felt like I was really making a difference as I attempted to convince the dead player to return to life, as if I were grasping at ethereal straws, desperately trying to hold onto a confused and wandering spirit.

I can't tell you how sad I was the first time I saw a healer just sit in a circle with a dead player, and after ten minutes announce, "Resurrection Complete." Or even worse, the first time I witnessed a "Field Rez."

As an NPC:

I was sixteen at my first event in Syraandor, the old NH chapter, and it was very much a "Holy sh*t I'm hitting people with things I have no idea what's going on here but this is awesome I am going to go hit that guy again!" sort of thing.

When I moved over to Caldaria, I was eighteen or nineteen. I knew I was going to stay when the owner, Jesse Hennessey, ran out into a river in thirty pound scale mail (and full green make-up) to avoid leaving a trail, got torn up by barbed wire that was in the water, and came back to NPC camp like this was an everyday occurance. To this day, one of my favorite quotes from Caldaria was when Karl was helping to patch up Jesse's war wounds and said: "That's not blood, that's hardcore juice!"

Yeah. It's really no shock I've only missed two events since Caldaria reopened and now I am their plot minion. :p

As a PC:

Having NPC'd for a full two years, I finally decided to hop the fence and play my dumb wild elf. It was very chaotic for me because NPC camp was lacking resources and I kept darksiding, but I had one really good moment that I will probably always remember. I was sitting in my cabin, ready to go to bed, when someone came knocking on my door looking for a wild elf. She explained that there were boar and an old stag in the wood that looked like good hunting. Me, being the NPC I was, assumed this was for Tiana, a wild elf who was there every event (it only occured to me later that the NPC who hooked me was her player, durr). It was a huge shock to realize they sent this out for me.

Even better was the hunt itself. We literally hunted -- we stalked, we used bows instead of blades, and in the end, we bagged us some damn pigs and finally took down the stag. (Chazz Bender wearing stag horns in the middle of a field? Freakin' sweet.) After we took it down, we had a minute long debate about whether killing the stag was even the right thing to do -- and then we decided that was a good time to begin first aiding it.. and deer-Chaz flopped over dead. Whoops.

And then we lifed it.

Watching deer-Chaz frolic into the forest like Willy leaping into the sea, I realized that I liked PCing a whole lot too.

The End.

as a pc

my first event last year back in may.
my friend tim said "ready to go in game?"
me and albert, it being our first events ever said a nervous "yeah."
i was so nervous that first night. i didnt know anyone, nor was i tottaly sure of the rules or what to expect. tim led us into the tavern where we met jena and mike for the first time ever. they were super friendly. after chatting a little bit and tim offering his cooking services to the tavern keeps (something i wasent to happy about as i work in a cafe and wanted a break from it that weekend.) sean comes in the tavern wearing a white headband but carrying an eye ball on a stick. i of course look at the dam thing and he says two words "arcane fear." then walks away. i put my hand on my head and whisper, "whats tht doo?" jena said "run around the tavern screaming." so i did.
that was also the night where i almost attacked sir orin, cause i didnt know who he was when he first came in. and i was all like in my head saying "omg! i almost attacked a noble! nothing like being obliterated my first game ever."
that whole weekend was just amazing.

as an npc

now thts a hard one to pin down as my hooking moment.
but i think its the fact, i can go into town with some other crunchies and not worry about dying. ill put up a good fight but still, im not concerned with going to the rez circle and having a stone being added to my bag of lives.
but a couple things stand out for me npcing, one is throwing this spell packet over everyone and hitting a mwe who was casting earth storm during a wave battle.
going out as the breakfast king's bacon golom and being there for the rp that was going on.
taking down a pc Amaranthus, who for some reason decided to walk across the field, at night, alone. with out anywords, and signals to each other, the 5 or 6 npcs of us who were making our way sneakily to the healers guild saw him walking and just knew, "oh what a perfect target." and running up behind him
playing as a poltergiest and just wreaking the tavern, over turning tables, scattering cups, moving doors, people, brooms, anything i could get my hands on and then almost getting banned from jena and mikes tavern. lol
oh and getting to consume as a shark, tinker during an underwater adventure involving the whole town. that was really cool
and wave battles, i absolutly love wave battling as an npc. its so much fun.
and npc camp in general is also a lot of fun.
but i think one of the other main things i like npcing is that i can be like 10 different things in one weekend. though my face hates me after but thats okay.
and i will be npcing this up coming season. unless im making a trip to conneticut, then ill probably play my rat scavie. see you all in game!!

I was hooked when I rounded the street corner in that old Brooklyn neighborhood, curious about this "NERO" thing I had read about online...and saw just what they meant by "live action role-playing", all at once, a full blown faire right on the street, elves, magic, monsters...the very first thing I saw was a battle between some PCs and undead. I went down into the basement site, Mike Ventrella showed me around, I bought a rulebook...I hadn't intended to actually try it at that point, but I went back home to NJ, read the book...and came back the next day to NPC. :) But really, they had me with that first battle, when I saw all the D&D and computer game battles of my youth, in actual living reality.

I miss that basement, a lot. In fact, I miss NERO/Alliance in general (it's always gonna be "NERO" to me, heh)...I need to come back to it. :)

Trent

TrentD said:
I was hooked when I rounded the street corner in that old Brooklyn neighborhood, curious about this "NERO" thing I had read about online...and saw just what they meant by "live action role-playing", all at once, a full blown faire right on the street, elves, magic, monsters...the very first thing I saw was a battle between some PCs and undead. I went down into the basement site, Mike Ventrella showed me around, I bought a rulebook...I hadn't intended to actually try it at that point, but I went back home to NJ, read the book...and came back the next day to NPC. :) But really, they had me with that first battle, when I saw all the D&D and computer game battles of my youth, in actual living reality.

I miss that basement, a lot. In fact, I miss NERO/Alliance in general (it's always gonna be "NERO" to me, heh)...I need to come back to it. :)

Trent

Two words that hooked me.....Candy Land

Played in another LARP for 15 years and got very tired of the sketchy activities; such as violence, long streams of cursing, screaming, and vulgar behavior, harrasment of other members, and much, much more. Then I looked into another LARP- Alliance. I read that you have a no drugs and alchohal policy and if you are disruptive at an event the officials will kick you out. Then I was hooked :).

B~>

My first event - Tourny '99. Everyone was super nice, helped me stay in character, never thought my questions were dumb, and I got so into roleplay at the end that when Baron Agnar killed me on the stage in front of everyone for a Living Chess game, I burst into tears once revived and John Finnegan and Patrick Von Raven felt so bad they came up and made sure I was okay. So many nice people in such a dynamicly imaginative enviroment has me hooked forever.

My first weekend PCing I rezz'd 3 times (a vampire or something swinging 30 death will do that when you're only wearing a 15 suit) and Baelemar's story began there. I love this game, it's just so unfortunate I've been away for so long. But I'm back. And thanks to the Ohio crew for making it so much fun.

Back