IG: Brotherhood of the Star List of Known Ritual Catalysts

Alavatar

Baron
If you venture to the Brotherhood of the Star's Celestial Circle in Tarndale you will most likely see Alavatar, a tall elf with straight brown hair that falls just past his shoulders and wearing a red silk robe, pouring over a stack of papers, some books, or examining something strange.

If you ask if the Brotherhood of the Star has a list of known Rituals with Catalysts and what they are he smiles and rummages through a drawer before producing the below list. "This is what I know at the moment," he says. "Let me know if you find anything more or if you find something that needs correcting."

Known Ritual Catalysts
Code:
Scroll Name                                     Catalyst 
Banish to < Other Plane >-----------------------Portal Stone
Conjure Artifact--------------------------------Ornately Jeweled Skull
Construct---------------------------------------Silvery Red Alloy
Controlled Spirit Store-------------------------Spirit Bottle
Copy Formal Scroll------------------------------Gryphon's Talon
Create Permanent Circle of Power----------------Ruby of some quality
Destroy Magic-----------------------------------Arcane Solvent
Expanded Enchantment Ritual---------------------Tears of a Fae Noble
Haven of the Living/Domain of the Defiled-------Sapphire of Deep Hue
Master Construct--------------------------------Coppery Blue Alloy
Obfuscate---------------------------------------Eye of a Hidden Mage
Obliterate--------------------------------------Essence of Hatred
Permanent Duration------------------------------Vial of Sparkling Fairy Dust
Planar Gate-------------------------------------Portal Key
Proscribe---------------------------------------Moon Dust
Racial Transformation---------------------------Feather of a Phoenix
Regeneration------------------------------------Bottle of Time
Spirit Forge------------------------------------Ephemeral Hammer
Stable Foundation-------------------------------Golden Pebble
Summon Elemental (Foundation)-------------------Stone Bowl of Burning Water
Summon Elemental (Magistarium)------------------Salt of the Earth
Summon Extra planar Creature--------------------Balefire
Summon Extra planar Creature, Panthergast-------Blood of a Permanently Dead Member of the Target Race
Transfer Magic----------------------------------Emerald of Extraordinary Clarity
Transform to <Greater Undead Spectral>----------Dying Breath of an Innocent Man

Rituals that require unknown catalysts
Code:
Bountiful Harvest
Copy Formal Permanent Scroll
Enchantment Ritual
Eternal/Blighted Forest
Gift of Life
Greater Obfuscate
Greater Spellstore
Ownership
Spirit Home
Summon Magical Creature
Transform to < Greater Undead Corporeal>
Transform to < Greater Undead Skeletal>
Universal Speech

Catalysts to Unknown Rituals
Code:
Diamond of Legendary Value
Topaz of (something something)
Magical Vortex

Re: IG: Brother of the Star List of Known Ritual Catalysts

Alavatar:

Can't you identify the mystery catalysts, being that they are innately magical objects?

And in other lands I've traveled in, Haven of the Living no longer requires a catalyst, unless that's particular to this place. I'm looking through my ritual book to try and note what other rituals I've seen or heard of require them, I know the list is fairly extensive (and includes a few Necromantic catalysts, which should probably be known so they can be destroyed).

<added later>
I've found note of the following rituals that I've either seen or heard of that have required catalysts in other lands:

Bountiful Harvest
Construct
Eternal/Blighted Forest
Gift of Life
Greater Obfuscate
Greater Spellstore
Stable Foundation
Enchantment Ritual
Expanded Enchantment Ritual
Universal Speech

Does anyone have any information on those?

Alavatar: A Golden Pebble is required for a Stable Foundation ritual in Andar.

-Polare

Greetings Phedre!

Identification using a Permanent Celestial Circle of Power only confers Ritual effects on an item. Determining what ritual a catalyst is for would require ritual investigation using a Lore or Vision, for example.

I haven't seen a Haven of the Living scroll for some time. The last time I saw it a catalyst was required so I am not certain if it still does in these lands. If anyone happens to have a Haven of the Living scroll to look at I would appreciate it confirmation.

The rest of the rituals you have listed I either have not seen or have not been informed of. I was unaware that Gift of Life and Bountiful Harvest required a catalyst. I had heard of some of those other magical effects, such as Greater Spellstore, Enchantment Ritual, and Expanded Enchantment Ritual, but I have not seen or heard of there being ritual scrolls that produce those; this is the first time. The rest are relatively new to me.

I have added your list of known rituals that require unknown catalysts to my list.

Is Construct the new name for the old Minor Construct scroll?

Thank you, Polare, for the information. I have added it to the list.

Regards,
Alavatar

Alavatar:

What I've been told, as I can't read the Gift of Life scroll myself, is that it's like the catalyst option for Destroy Magic. It adds another layer of power onto the ritual, allowing you to destroy both the spirit bottle of a bottled undead, as well as turning the undead person back into one of the living. Without the catalyst, I believe you'd need multiple rituals to restore someone to a living state. Someone more learned in Earth magic can give you far more details than I can.

As for Construct, it is what makes everything from a Scarecrow to a Quicksilver/Mercury golem, with everything Obsidian Golem or more difficult requiring a catalyst. (I believe where the old scrolls differentiated between Minor and Major constructs are the same guidelines for what needs a catalyst and what doesn't.)

Next time we see each other, remind me to show you my formal magic notes, we may be able to fill in some blanks for each other. I've come close to getting information on all the more common scrolls, but a few I know only by name and reputation, like the Greater Spell Store and Greater Obfuscate. If anyone ever comes across one of those rare scrolls, I'd be willing to pay to obtain the particulars of how they work.

The catalyst for construct is Silvery Red Alloy. If anyone happens to have it I'd like to buy it.

-Arkelos

Back