IG Conflicts - OOG Fun!

MathGwyson

Artisan
Brought up in the review thread, and creating a new thread for discussion as requested;

Garnett said:
While it IC ticked me off that we were sabotaged 4-5 times in the colors side by our cabin, I took it as an ooc thing we did quite well that it was needed attacked kekeke.

I was just trying to explain this to my roommate earlier today, when I told him how our cabin got sabotaged. While it was 'mean' and 'griefing' and created a LOT of In Game tension, OOG I totally think it was fine and acceptable. None of the dark elf players were rude or ill-mannered towards us OOG, so there is no sense of 'bad sportsmanship'. It created another layer of IG tension that was good OOG, but 'bad' IG.

It is so hard to explain how something 'bad' can be 'good' at the same time... but I hope others get my meaning? Any other people want to share their take on this?

I personally think that anything that intentionally causes damage to a person’s belongings is not acceptable behaviour in a larp.

To my knowledge none of the Dark Elf players did anything to “sabotage” any of the cabins decorations. I have contacted the Brutii group and asked if anyone knows of any such behaviour by members of our group, so far I have heard back from all but four of our members and they did not take such action against the houses (it would not have been honourable), as well they did not see any of our number do such things.

If I find that one of the four people I have not yet talked with did this I will encourage them to apologize for the action. I suspect however that the “Dark Elves” were not the culprits in the mentioned “sabotage”. Having stood sentry for the Brutii house (even during quite times) I had the members of Brutii in my sight pretty much the whole game except for a three hour window of time early Saturday morning. Friday night during quite time I slept on the deck against the door to make sure no one tried to enter (I was unaware that PC’s could not engage other PC’s in that time frame and as such was guarding my masters). The only people that left the house during that time were Amy and Lisa, who went to the washroom and then came straight back.

Were the damages to your decorations something that the weather could have done? I know the wind kept blowing over our banners.

If you (or anyone else) saw a member of House Brutii damaging the decorations of any of the cabins, I would appreciate a private (and to be kept anonymous) email to be sent to me at xgallowglassx@gmail.com

Nothing was actually damaged so it was all cool. And no one is taking it badly or actually upset. Justin ws just pointing out how things had been moved or tossed aside as "sabotage". It was all cool with us.

I have some out of game knowledge of exactly what happened, but won't share it, as IG none of us should know and it's easier to keep the intrigue when you actually don't know OOG.

It's all cool, and any worries or nervousnes about the Underworld crew coming in and murdering and stealing from all of us were quickly put to rest. But the tension made the IG nervousness that much more effective. I find myself still looking over my shoulders for Saeryn or The Ghost as he'd become known amongst us.

Aye. While there was a couple things I wasn't exactly happy with, it was more knowing the prop might have been damaged on the second attempt. The others was a neat folding or just hiding somewhere. The second time however I was told one of the heavier curtains was just tossed in the woods. All in all, it was the unfortunate IC that several folks recalled seeing dark elves around cabin 4 every time we inquired on it, hence the IC tension. You are correct on the wind, and we weighed down most of it to male sure it would minimize damage.

Yes, to my knowledge nothing had actually been 'damaged', which is why I say the whole thing (weather or not it was the Dark Elves) was in good sport OOG (If things had actually been ripped or damaged that would be different!). However, things like the one time that 5 dark elves (apparently 6, 'cause I didn't see the one behind us that Garnett told me about after) approached us and claimed that Laront had told them we were planning to ambush them was a huge tension moment (especially since Saeryn was on one of the decks with a glare at me that looked like he was about to jump over the balcony and slit my throat - great RP there, but IG very scary!)

I do not believe the wind was strong enough to do that to these particular items (which were somewhat heavy - tarps and heavy banners attached to cardboard 'shields'). Also I do not know for certain it was the Dark Elves (which is why I say 'circumstantial' evidence points towards them - they had been spotted around the cabin or behind it in the woods by other people around the same time things got moved - but I don't know that they weren't lying although the characters that said this are not known for duplicity)

(I was unaware that PC’s could not engage other PC’s in that time frame and as such was guarding my masters)
Not quite accurate, but as far as the cabin area goes, yes. Between 2am and 8am is 'quiet time' around the sleeping areas as a safety thing to ensure there is a dedicated window where people can definitely get some rest (barring specific notification from staff for certain events). AFAIK this is a LCO rule, and not an alliance-wide thing, described in the LCO campaign document.

Honestly, though, the tension was so high we actually forgot that too and were ready to jump out of bed if someone broke into our cabin. Again - 'good' tension OOG that made the event more fun.

But returning to the subject of IG conflict... I love it! In-game conflict between player characters is one of the things that has always brought me back to LARP over and over... Being able to act as if we hate each others' guts during an event and then laughing about it afterwards lets us explore other sides of ourselves that may not necessarily manifest themselves in day-to-day life... and, assuming that all parties involved understand that the conflict is merely roleplay, it doesn't have any real negative effects on our real OOG friendships.

It is important to keep this in mind, though: when your character is having an intense IG conflict with another character it is good practice to talk to that character's player out of game after the event for some kind - any kind - of friendly interaction or conversation. This is especially true if you never see that person outside of game.. If your entire relationship with another person is based on your terrible in-game relationship, things can easily go sour unintentionally when someone takes something personally. However..! That said, I was really impressed with the ability of the Alliance players to come forward and do this immediately to ensure that there were no hard feelings about any in-game bitterness that occurred between them and the Dark Elf players! (I played Severa)

I was very happy to be able to play with such a friendly, welcoming crowd, and I hope I can come out again soon so that we can trade suspicious glances and accusations once again!

In regards to "Quiet Time". You will actually find most chapters have this rule. I know Catskills and HQ do.

You can still putz around but do not disturb anyone. If you feel like chatting, hit the tavern. Just don't wake Artii! :shock: No one wants a grumpy cook in the morning.

You can head down to the fields, walk the smuggler's highway etc. If you start a combat, better make sure you don't wake up anyone at LOGISTICS. You are on your own! :ninja:

In regards to "Quiet Time". You will actually find most chapters have this rule. I know Catskills and HQ do

Yes! I recognize that a lot of concepts and local rules are adopted from other chapters. My earlier comment doesn't preclude it, but it's not exactly a 'universal' thing obvious just from reading the Alliance rulebook, is what I meant :).

@Lisa - I actually didn't learn the names of most of the Dark Elves... Sevra was the female who was NOT "Domina", yes? (That was the only way I could tell people apart since I never heard or remembered names - Domina, 'other female, 'big sword', 'cloaked brother', 'older brother', and 'ghost' <- actually I called him the 'skinny one' until Belinda called him ghost after the warrant got put out, so that stuck. Oh and 'Domina's Brother' - who helped me with painting my feathers, but I never saw much of in-game.) I really appreciated a few of our interactions, both IG and OOG.

MathGwyson said:
None of the dark elf players were rude or ill-mannered towards us OOG, so there is no sense of 'bad sportsmanship'. It created another layer of IG tension that was good OOG, but 'bad' IG.

It is so hard to explain how something 'bad' can be 'good' at the same time... but I hope others get my meaning? Any other people want to share their take on this?

Also, please remember that AFAIK, there is no "proof" that the Dark Elves were involved in any way. Stating that is was them without proof is akin to saying that someone is guilty before a trial can be held.

Heh, OOG I know what happened, IG I have no idea, nor is Garridan overly concerned.

I LOVED the IG conflict!! As a MWE we really only hate 1 thing - dark elves (or at least what they represent :funny: ) Ive been telling everyone about how these people came in and played some super hated characters and how great it was! You guys did AMAZING!! I dont think my hubby will be able to play one now - hes nowhere near serious enough hahaha.
I hope everyone can just take what happened IG as IG stuff, I yelled lots of hatefull things about the dark elves..... but I dont REALLY think your all a bunch of assholes!! Hahahaha ><
I think I particularly liked causing all sorts of drama behind the scenes for everyone with you guys because I knew how untrusted you all were, I will say though that I never saw anyone actually do anything untrustworthy, made it all so much better!
All in all it added a huge spin on our RP I feel, we were all so friendly and lovey dovey with each other - easy when we're all friends outsode of their, and have to really thank the Edmonton crew for adding that spice! - AWESOME!!

And knowing what happened all around makes it all so much more delicious!! :twisted: :whistle: ;)

mythic said:
Also, please remember that AFAIK, there is no "proof" that the Dark Elves were involved in any way. Stating that is was them without proof is akin to saying that someone is guilty before a trial can be held.

This is an OOG tread - my intention here is to say that IF the Dark Elves were involved in this, then OOG it added to the fun, despite that IG it was a point of contention.

There were a few moments of actual tenson between the Dark Elves and Garnett and Myself where I actually thought they were going to attack me (they had heard a rumour that WE were going to attack THEM and were confronting us.) - so that's a FACT that I can discuss that's in the same vein. OOG it was a lot of fun - IG I was like "Oh god.. I'm going to die (again)". Actually on that note, at this time the body language on the one that got nicknamed 'Ghost' was perfect. I actually thought he was ready to leap off the balcony and slit my throat. *very* tense moment that fortunately got handled diplomatically.

Anyways, regardless of the specifics, the point here is that it was a lot of fun, even though it was very 'tense' for the characters, and the thread is about how something can be 'bad' ingame, but 'good and fun' out of game, even though that's very weird.

Back