[IG] From the library of the Office of the Exchequer...

jpariury

Duke
From the library of the Office of the Exchequer, in the tome "Mineral and Ore Rights Across the Kingdom", indexed under Whistler's Pass

excerpt from the Scouter's Log of Whistler Thistlefoot

4.25.965 - My company of scouts and I have discovered a pass that looks promising. Some campfire smoke was visible above the treeline. We plan on entering it first thing tomorrow. Jebl dug up some really neat roots that he made into a tasty stew. They kind of look like tiny little dark elves, actually.

4.26.965 - Note to self, Jebl does NOT get to cook for us again. He almost got me killed, 'cuz my tummy was extra rumbly today. We approached the edge of the pass and met up with a group of gnolls. They weren't a happy lot, and so we had to dispatch them pretty quick. They apparently wanted to keep us clear. We moved in a bit more slowly, and found that the floor of the pass was covered in the dogfaces, actually, so we're working our way along the walls of the pass. That also means no fire tonight. Cold dinner... blech.

4.28.965 - It looks like there's a sizable encampment. By our headcount, we tallied up two and half centuries of gnolls, and about three score breedingpit tents. They look like they have a couple of circles there, too, at least one of them is earth, based on the resurrections we seen them performing. The other one, we're not too sure. Elder Smythe might have been able to identify it, but all we know is that they had feathers, rocks, twigs and stuff bein' waved around. Circle-magik, is our guess. They also seem to have a working mine, which is of interest to the company, but it would take some work to clear this place out. The leashless ones don't have any siege weaponry around, so it's not a war camp. I did have to restrain Sir Kaliphe from rushing headlong into that mass, though, when a few bodies of women and children were thrown in a big pot. Disgusting creatures with horrible habits, for sure, but no sense in the five of us taking on that many, especially for permanently dead folk. Bad as it is, it ain't necromancy, so he calmed down. Even I had a while before the sour taste of bile cleared my mouth. Almost makes me miss that damned stew.

4.29.965 - Heard some wolf calls in the night. Given the mutts below, not surprising, but these came from walls around us. We've started double-up the watch.
4.29-965a - Moved further along the wall and had a fortunate encounter. Met up with a tribe of barbars called the "Hapali". Turns out that this used to be their homeland, and they were kicked out a couple of years ago. They're hear to reclaim it, but have only two-score warriors among them, the rest being womenfolk. Apparently they never met Lauriani... she might teach them a thing or two. Anyways, they said they might be amenable to working out a deal with the company. Staying the night with the camp to work out the details. At least we'll be able to sleep a bit safer.

5.14.965 - We've finally hammered out the details. The company and the Hapali tribe will work together to clear out the pass of the gnolls. Once the region is secured, the company will have exclusive rights to the mines that the gnolls started, and the right to establish a town and trading post. In return, the pass walls, not including the entryways to the north and south, are the exclusive dwelling of the Hapali. Two other concessions: no long-lasting Celestial magic may be cast on the ground or air of the pass, and any Hapali artifacts that are recovered or discovered will be turned over directly to the tribal shamans. If anyone doesn't do as agreed, the Hapali get to put the poor soul through their Rite of Atonement. Not sure what it is exactly, one tribewoman with a nice set of goblets said that even if you survive it, it can "unseat a man's loins". Not sure what that means, but it doesn't sound good. In any case, my feet are itching again, so it off to the next assignment: something to the south, apparently. It'll be nice not to constantly smell wet dog hair.
-end excerpt

*Addendum, 7.3.965: Crown affirms the treaty and the Company of the GoldenHorse as its agent in this matter.
*Addendum, 8.6.965: Township of Whistler's Pass named and established
*Addendum, 4.2.983: Company of the GoldenHorse sold to Finnegan's Fellowship
*Footnote, 2.15.998: Whistler Thistlefoot was Master Scout for the Company of the GoldenHorse, excavation and discovery group, founded 8.24.957, received writ of approval on 9.1.957.

Back