I'm New to New Acarthia, Sell Me On Your Organization!

GBurton

As it appears that there is truly strength in numbers here in Acarthia, decisions must obviously be made on which organizations and guilds (baronies?) to commit my unique and valuable skills to. So, what really makes Tiatar so different from Warchester, or Riverfail from Lamplight? What is your organization, what do you stand for, and why should you be a new adventurer's desired group?

Unnamed Poster,

I presume that you have merely made an inadvertent slip of the pen with naming "Riverfail." If not, and you are a person of honor, I invite you to name yourself, and own your words.

In service to Acarthia and the people of Rivervale,

Dame Katherine Albright
Knight of the Ducal Court of Acarthia

Oh! My mistake, a bit of a mismark on the page I assure you! Perhaps I should have named myself in the beginning anyway though, all who read this may call me Griff, and since I am in a generous mood, all those who are NOT reading this may also call me Griff. I am one of the few Biata to be seen around here, and am currently Unaffiliated and independently employed.

There is always the knowledge found in the telling, and the knowledge found in the experience.

I would highly recommend in this situation, experience. Ask to speak with, work with, and adventure with each group. Get to know them as people, individuals and a group. Decide from there.

There are many choices of established groups. However, there is nothing wrong with, nor anything against forming your own group as well. I know of several whom are looking for a group, or have serious interest in starting a new one.

The choice is yours, I merely suggest an informed choice based upon experience.

Frank
Squire in service to Baron Eldred Morningtide of Tiatar

Eadar,
You appear to wear the colors of Tiatar, what is it about Tiatar that led you to join them? The members, the ideals, the perceived "strength" of Tiatar, or something completely different?

Vira,
Perhaps you may speak of the benefits of remaining independent and unaffiliated?

Honey if you dont know the bennies of being your own boss and looking after your own business, I got nothin : )

You'll know people worth dealing with when you meet them. Aint nobody going to tell you anything that isnt biased.

Griff,

Just Frank is fine. The dream realm communications of these things assign strange names at times.

Rork and I made our way north and had heard about our brother Sir Osborne being a Knight of Tiatar. The three of us follow a code from where we come from, similar to but different than Chivalry. For Sir Osborne to be willing to swear to Chivalry and another person, they would have to meet the standards we ascribe to and seek to uphold. Rectitude, Honor, Respect, Wisdom, and Valor. We looked into the situation, along with Baroness Elavir and then Sir Morningtide. We found that her Excellency had an extreme focus on education, and seeking that all are provided for, even at cost to herself. Then Sir Morningtide was an example of the ideals of Chivalry, and most importantly living it.

Upon speaking with Sir Osborne briefly to confer with our brother whom had been with the court of Tiatar for quite some time, we pledged our duty to Tiatar through the Baroness. In this case, the trust of our brother Sir Osborne and our investigations is what convinced us. Our further experience has shown us that what we learned was not only true, but only a portion of the greatness of Tiatar.

It was also quite pleasing to see that Tiatar enjoys it's sarcasm in the appropriate situations when things are in a momentary relaxed state. Levity is good for the spirit.

Frank
Squire in service to Baron Eldred Morningtide of Tiatar

Greeting Griff,

I think for many of us, there is this intangible feeling of "home" that we have found with our respective groups. It's not that they are all that different in organization or purpose, but our personalities click with other personalities within the group. Do we trust each other? What goals do we have and do we feel like our respective groups will help us achieve these goals? Do these people make me laugh, do I care about them when they cry?

I myself am a member of two groups. I am a squire of Rivervale but I am also a founding member of the Scions of Valarion.

I equate Rivervale to being that tavern in your hometown where you like to sit down and have an ale at the end of the day. You always want to go back to it and it's your favorite place. One of our traditions that we pride ourselves on is "snackie time". Every gather, on both Friday evening and Saturday evening we gather late before bed and Brooke Blaine breaks out the best of her baking experiments for us to taste and sample while we all sit around in our pajamas and talk about the adventures we have had that day. We have members in the group that are very busy with court throughout the weekend, as well as members that enjoy adventure. We have a strong ties to the heritage of Rivervale and understand the importance of tradition. We believe strongly in "the group" to the extent that most of us are paupers individually, with our spoils of war going to the greater group. We are a close knit family at our core and love each other (but not in that way). We are proud and awesome.

The Scions of Valarion was born out of those of us that were fleeing from the destruction of our land. We bonded in times of healing and recovery as we reconnected in this land. Last year during the Ducal Tournament we were able to field a team to show Acarthia our "kai" (best described as honor). We believe in doing the "right" thing, even if it is a hard road. We challenge ourselves, strive to be better. We don't mind taking the harder path. Our bonds are forged in fire and through combat. There are no better battle breathren I could choose than the Scions of Valarion. These are my spirit brothers and sisters, they understand who I am at my core and where I have come from. We support each other to be excellent and for the Scions to be the best at whatever we try and do.

By my hand,
Squire Kendrick of Rivervale
Member of the Scions of Valarion

OOG - I'm sure you have already done this, but there is some great information about some of the groups in the players guide if you haven't read it.

Last edited:
Goodman Griff,

The Duchy of Acarthia holds a multitude of opportunities for adventurers, merchants, and commoners alike. There are a great many organizations to explore, each offering different flavors, structures, and areas of expertise. I will echo what has been said regarding exploration - take the time to get to know each group and their people as they in turn get to know you. Do not underestimate the power of being an individual either though, or starting your own organization for that journey is also an exciting one which can be rewarding.

The Four Baronies within the Duchy of Acarthia: Bayenna, Tiatar, Rivervale, and Warchester
The Guilds: Healers Guild, Mages Guild, Loremaster's Guild, Merchants Guild, Guild of the Cerberus, and the Lamplight Guild
Orders: The Vigilant

Additionally, I would also add the communities of the Freemen as well as the Scions of Valarion (which I may be mis-spelling). The Scions may be an official Guild but I would not speak for them on the matter as I'm sure they'll chime in shortly. They also manage the TATH fighting school.

There may be others which I am unintentionally forgetting.

If you have a specific question about one of the various groups, consider seeking them out personally though pen or in person that you might get to know the individuals that make up the many organizations of our great Duchy. My only words of wisdom would be to consider how one presents ones-self. First impressions are a unique and precious thing for all of us.

Safe Travels,
Baroness K. W. Elavir of Tiatar.

Last edited:
Your excellency,

You are correct, the Scions of Valarion are now a chartered organization. And it is the Tath Fighting School.

By my hand,

Kendrick :)

Griff, no harm done with but a slip of the pen; it happens! Thank you for the rapid correction.

I have the honor to serve directly Her Grace Duchess Ilianna Tiberion of Acarthia. The ducal house is vast, and our duties are spread geographically throughout all the lands of our fine duchy. Thus, we do not meet centrally in numbers in the same manner as the noble court of a barony. Twenty-eight nobles serve Her Grace in the ducal court alone, alongside countless more courtiers, guards, and others in her direct service. Few of our number travel to court in New Acarthia. Among those whom you may see often are Sir Victor Blasdel, Dame Audrianna Ketteridge, Sir Bayzil Locaman, Lady Heather Tiberion, Lord Brandon Tiberion, Constance Whitehall, Lagarde Rhoade, and myself.

As the duties of the ducal house are so widespread, it does not maintain a central household which travels and adventures together. It is a great honor to serve the Duchess, and the multitude within her household are always keeping our eyes open for those enterprising and brave spirits with love for our duchy and loyalty to our Duchess who might one day be of excellent service to this court. In the course of time, especially as peace affords greater opportunity for more ducal nobles to travel to court in New Acarthia regularly, it is certainly my hope to see a future which contains a more organized traveling household of Acarthia.

I admire you spirit in making this open inquiry, Griff, welcome you to our lands, and I bid you good fortune in your adventures!

In service to Acarthia,

Dame Katherine Albright
Knight of the Ducal Court of Acarthia

To the original question, there is definitely strength in numbers, but "joining" a group is something that can always come later. It's harder to leave a group than to join one, so that's something to be well thought over. More important than joining groups is finding people who you trust to have at your sides, regardless of affiliations. Work to foster those relationships first and worry about all the nonsense with the noble courts and organizations after.

That said, since everyone else named who they are with, I'm with the ducal court and assigned currently to work with Bayenna.

-- Captain Lagarde Rhoade

My group isn't for sale... such a strange thing to say. As for your skills... that can be taught. Drive is what matters to me. Either you are driven to destroy the undead and those who make them or not. We rid this land of them, no matter the cost. You? What do you stand for, wanderer?

I'd encourage you to spend time with all the groups. The vast majority of them are very friendly to new travelers to town. Warchester is a Baronial group so it's leadership is bound to the Code of Chivalry like the other Baronies. Warchester is different from the other Baronies in that it has been rebuilding its court for the past year. Ever since His Excellency, Baron Manko and Sir Osborne joined Warchester after the Ducal Tournament of 414 we have been trying to rebuild from the destruction caused by Pike.

The former court of Warchester was turned into undead and attacked New Acarthia last year and the Barony has been reeling since that loss. We are finally starting to recover from the tragedy, but Warchester is a place where an individual's contributions to the group are very much noticed and appreciated. We'd love to chat with you more in Death's Isles and spend some time with you.

-Squire Wolsey of Warchester

Back