Impromptu Armor for newbies?

The rulebook lets you know how much of an area needs to be covered to qualify for armor points.

As an SF marshal, I'd have to tell you no, that wouldn't qualify for armor. Now, if you took that leather and cut it down to strips long enough for your forearm, then glued it down to some fabric underneath with as little space in between strips as possible and put that on as a bracer, you'd be getting there.

Old leather coats from thrift stores generally make good piece-meal first armor pieces. You can use the forearms for bracers, the upper arms for greaves, and the body as a vest with some slight modification.

Do you guys think this could net a point of armor? Constrictions definately on my mind, but with good padding, caution, or maybe even gluing/sewing it onto the shirt will alleviate it.

I'm not a marshal, but I am certain you wouldn't get any armor points for that. My suggestion to you is to borrow some armor for this weekend, and then take the time to get some good stuff afterwards. Failing that, Inaryn's suggestion *may* net you some armor depending on the marshal.

Think about it this way- armor is intended to stop or dull real sword blows (even if we don't have hard sword blows in game). Would you trust those laces to protect you? Do you feel they at least look like they would? If the answer to both is no, they probably won't count as armor.

I also really don't suggest gluing or sewing your armor to your shirt, you want to be able to wash that stuff sometimes. Is the shirt in your picture the one you're planning on wearing? I have a more... in genre shirt I can give you. (it's even black if you want to be in black!)

Daaarn, that's what I thought. I suppose I could see about borrowing some armor, or go iron man and head in there naked. xD Rogues aren't super tanky anyways, especially for level one. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Is the shirt in your picture the one you're planning on wearing? I have a more... in genre shirt I can give you. (it's even black if you want to be in black!)

Nope, that's not the shirt, just the undershirt. There's a lot more, I was just testing it out, thanks! ^.^

Daaarn, that's what I thought. I suppose I could see about borrowing some armor, or go iron man and head in there naked. xD Rogues aren't super tanky anyways, especially for level one. Thanks for the advice everyone!

You get a free re-write after your first weekend event ever. And, even so, at first level, there's typically not much difference between a fighter and a rogue. I would look at which one nets you the best build/lets you do the most 'stuff' over the weekend, and just go with that.

I am a huge fan of using a talbard made out of suede (or brushed cotton style fabric that looks like suede) with pieces of leather riveted to it. It's fairly flexable, moves with you, and looks decent. You could also probably use linen for the foundation but it may not be worth as many points. Stalk thrift shops for the pieces. That said, my first set of IG armor was a brushed cotton lined in what looked like sherpa wool. It came already lined from JoAnns and I had a 60 percent off coupon, so it wasn't that expensive. I put it together in two days since I could just cut and hand sew the peices. Max scholar armor with a vest, skirt, hood, bracers, and greaves. I still use bits of it today along with my super shiny LeatherStorm armor.

If you have a good amount of the leather lace you could box or some other flat braid a bunch sections. Then attach them together by weaving fishing line through the braids sideways to make a panel. Attach the ends of the braids around your forearm and there you go. Should net you a point atleast.

I just saw a chain shirt and coif on amazon for a pretty good price. It looks to be butt-joined (as opposed to welded, like ringmesh, or riveted rings).
It is also zinc-plated steel as opposed to stainless steel so you will want to take special care of it during and after events to reduce rusting. You will also want to eventually pick up some extra rings to replace the ones that inevitably will fall off, since the rings are butted.

If you have means and a little bit of time, what ive done that is relatively easy and cheap is I use a thick plastic rain barrel. I cut out the shape I want, mold it with a heat gun, and rivet it together! Hella easy and hella cheap. The rivets I think are the most expensive. Well those and the belts for straps...

Is thick plastic allowed as armor? If so which category does it fall in for armor points?

You can get a pack of leather scraps at Joanne's or Michael's and it usually comes with a few large pieces that you can use as bracers. And if you don't want to sew it then you can just use those leather laces you have to tie it to your forearm like in your picture but just with a piece of leather under it. Kinda like the left one in this pic.

Last edited:
2 points depending on how it's constructed.

Pg 77

2 points: Light Metallic Armor or Heavy
Non Metallic Armor. This level is awarded for
the following types of armor coverage: leather
10 oz. or heaver, a material with a minimum of
¼" wide metal studs 1" apart or less, a material
with at least 14 gauge metal rings spaced 1"
apart or less, chain mail, non metallic plate mail,
light metal scale mail, and light metal plate mail.

Back