In regards to the Apsuudi

Dom

Scout
I have a basic understanding of what it is and how it works

I am looking for any information regarding specifics on how creatures of nightmare manifest, gain power, travel or communicate.

Any information or examples of nightmare corrupting other beings or rather emulating other beings.

Specific instances are preferred over theories or opinions. However, theories and opinions will not be turned away but should be labeled as such.

Many thanks
Dr. Crassirostris

Dr. Crassirostris,

There is a book called A Guide to Barran that is updated by the Sages guild you can purchase that has a basic explanation of the Assuudi. I will not be at the gather until the afternoo . Of the second day. If you still need information I am sure I will have my copy of the book.

Sapharia Barran'i

We have already spoken a bit on the subject, Dr., but if you have further questions feel free to contact me privately. I do not know if I will be in attendance of the upcoming gather. I find myself... unwell... since last we spoke.

Please travel safely, my friend, and I look forward to speaking with you again.

Sefid-in-training Rayna Satrysbane

Crazy howlbears show up when I'm around.

I don't know if that really applies to what you are talking about as I don't consider them nightmarish, but lots of other people whine about them and they do have big scorpion tails.

-T

I find the discussion of the function of the dream somewhat... troubling, given its persistent ambiguity with regard to its manifestations. There seems to be little rhyme nor reason, and often what appears as a dream to one may take the shape of nightmare for another.

You may find yourself benefited by speaking with Hiwa Steelclaw or even my son, Tvard; the former will possess some insight into the nature of dreams I think few of us have, while the latter has done extensive research into the Elosdi which, coincidentally, are manifestations of the dream.

I can otherwise offer only information gleaned from personal experience. I have seen at least one of my kind attain curious power through the Apsuudi: the ability to travel vast distances in the blink of the eye - even with others in tow; the ability to transport others to the Apsuudi itself, and so on. Nothing extraordinary for a dream, but remarkable for one who was not born of it.

I have also witnessed the corruption of the dream itself by... I do not quite know myself, actually. A certain darkness, born perhaps of the nature of terror and nightmare? The details were... vague. I shall peruse my notes and offer any additional information I find.

I have also successfully translated most of the Suudic alphabet, and shall contact you privately to discuss the details thereof. I am sorry to offer little which may actually help you, but I shall be in touch should I learn anything else.

-Vær'lux of Lordaq

Thank you all who have responded so far. Being from Barran myself, I do have the general knowledge of the Apsuudi that is available through the travelers guide.

Perhaps I was too vague, originally. What I am looking for are the more personal experiences of the adventuring populace. Much like that of which Madam Vaer'lux has shared.

Lady Rayna, I will be traveling around Icenia and in contact with you as I feel this situation I am researching pertains strongly to your interests.

Unfortunately, I do not know when I will be able to return home to meet with any of you. My current research into a situation in Synvia of Icenia is demanding my presence here. If and when I am able to return, I will seek any out who have information they wish to share.

Again, thank all who have so far responded and all who may respond in the future.

My apologies for assuming your ignorance. It has been my experience that those who ask questions such as you have do no know much about the Apsuudi.

Sapharia Barran'i

I must preface any of my discussion with the explicit statement that all of my knowledge of the Dream, the Nightmare, or the inhabitants within it, is based entirely upon observation, cobbled together facts, and the assumptions I must make where those two intersect. In short, I guess I simply can't say anything with much firmness or assuredness.

I myself was taken away by a Nightmare into her Realm, beyond the reach of my allies within the Dream.The two aspects of Dream and Nightmare must be separate then, if they are unable to interact. Within Barran, the Dream and Nightmare seem to permeate all places where creatures sleep, dream, or perhaps even think. Magical wards are of no use much of the time, because they rift through the realms through our very own minds. A Blissful Rest is the only means by which I know a Nightmare may be kept at bay. I am unsure if a Blissful Rest would operate similarly with a Dream. It should also be noted that once created, both Nightmares and Dreams are creatures of their own agency, not necessarily bound to the sentient being which brought them into creation.

We also must know that Dream and Nightmare are certainly DEFINED terms; though a Dream my be frightening to an observer, it is still a Dream, just as a Nightmare might be a source of great joy, it is still a Nightmare. They are beings of different realms, and of different construction. I myself would say that I am on quite pleasant terms with one or two Nightmares, and on poor terms with one or two Dreams. However, Nightmares can generally be considered to be the more aggressive, violent and offensive of the two, and the amicable of their kind are a minority.

As mentioned before, the Apsuudi is a somewhat physical place, such as a plane, which can be visited. In my experiences, it seems to be divided into at least two areas: The Dream and The Nightmare. There may be some neutral place between these realms, and there may be even more aspects of which I am not currently aware. Dreams seem to be incapable of entering the Nightmare Realms, and I would assume the same of Nightmares attempting to enter the Dream. Perhaps this is what prevents a Nightmare from entering an area where Blissful Rest has been cast, but I am unsure.

Elosdi, to my limited understanding, are those creates which originated in the Nightmare but have evolved to exist primarily in the physical plane. They breed through living beings, and in doing so, they have gained some element of physicality that other Nightmares do not share. I am still working on defining their creation or their true nature.

I know of two other times which the Dream and Nightmare have corrupted the physical form of living beings, both as part of an experiment within C'Naeus.

I will continue to think and attempt to recall specific cases. If you have any more specific questions, I'll be happy to help.

Tvard Sendall, Tradesmen of the Sage's Guild

Tvard,

Rest assured, Blissful Rest will not keep a Dream away, or at least I've never witnessed one to do so. Perhaps it would do so to one lesser than myself or Chloe, but I have cast that particular ritual in the past so take from that what you will.

Dr. Crassirostris,

Perhaps if you are about during the next gather I can sit with you for a few minutes and attempt to answer a few of your questions.

Cadeis

Back