[.11] Intercept

jwconvery

Spellsword
"The Intercept skill allows a character to take the damage or effect of any attack that successfully resolves on another target. "

What defines an attack, the source or the target? Is that non-touch cast? Is that a list of effects? Is it a "Spirit of Intention" grey area?

If Flame guys throws Flame at a flamable friend, and I'm healed by flame, can I Intercept that and be healed?

If Flame guy throws Flame at his 'Healed by Flame' friend, can I intercept that?

Touch-cast Healing/Lifes? They were previously Spell Parry-able.

Can I Intercept, someones Intercept? Does that cap at some point?

Joe

I suspect the intent is to Intercept things that cause a negative condition, but realistically...a Spell is a Spell. If you could intercept a Drain, I can’t imagine why you couldn’t Intercept a thrown Cure spell, too.

I don’t think it should apply to touch-casts, though, or to other Intercepts.

What about other Spell Parries?

Thrown Cure Spell -> "Spell Parry" - >"Intercept" haha healed anyway.

I basically wouldn’t want Intercept to trump any defensive calls.

Down that path lies madness...

I am not sure I would call an effect that has been defended against "successfully resolved".

So do you think the recipient would have say 'got it' or something to imply they've taken the effect first to then allow interception? The acceptance verbal, is generally not as required as a defensive call, which generally has a time limit.
If you allow the lag time of the first defender, then presumably the lag time to the interception, that can be a bit of time passing, with potential back tracking.

<Large Damage thrown and hits> ... ... .... ... "Joe??" ... "Oh, that hit? Got it, Resolute"... .... ... "Intercept, Dodge" ... ... ... "Do I get the Resolute back?" ... .. "I dunno let's ask on the forums"
or
<Large Damage thrown and hits> ... ... ... ... .... ... ... ... .. ... ... ... "Intercept ?? Did that hit your foot?"

I see your thought process, still feels wonky, but I could work with it. I'd really like it clarified officially.

Do you have thoughts on intercept-ing Healing Spells? Or touch-casts? Since they can be spell parried.

I am not sure I would call an effect that has been defended against "successfully resolved".

You would when it’s your defense. ;)

In all seriousness though, effects exist in two states, “Active” and “Closed.”

I throw a spell, it’s active. It hits a spell shield. It’s closed.

I throw a spell, hits Polare. He reflects, I bane, he banes, hits me and I take the thing. Now it’s closed.

If we allow intercept to interrupt a defense, that’s going to be confusing as heck.

I throw a Cause Spell at my Undead buddy. Hits his spell shield cuz I’m a doof. The guy near him calls intercept, and then Banes it.

On paper, no big deal, but in the thick of combat, a spell that was dead is now alive and bouncing again. That can get really weird, and more importantly, I think it’ll redefine how Intercept is intended to exist as, and that really bothers me.

Once something has either been taken or had an active Guard, No Effect, or Reduced defense called against it, it's been successfully resolved and can no longer be Intercepted.

-Bryan Gregory
ARC

Does that apply to parry and such as well? Because it is pretty common for someone to take a hit, start to drop. And a near by fighter or templar call a parry and they get back up.

I feel like this encourages slow rolling of defensive calls, in order to allow time for others to response.

Once something has either been taken or had an active Guard, No Effect, or Reduced defense called against it, it's been successfully resolved and can no longer be Intercepted.

-Bryan Gregory
ARC

Thank you for your answer. I do have further clarity questions with it.
Your response: "....it's been successfully resolved and can no longer be Intercepted."
and the wording in the packet: "The Intercept skill allows a character to take the damage or effect of any attack that successfully resolves on another target."
Are contradictory.
You state the attack cannot be intercepted after it resolves, the packet states it has to resolve first.

<edit removed a dumb question>

as a followup, referring the original post.
Do you have a ruling on what constitutes an attack? Can I intercept everything?

Also, as a side note. I am questioning clarity, not balance. I don't care how it works, you guys have worked on that far longer than me. I just want the rules to be clear to everyone.

Does that apply to parry and such as well? Because it is pretty common for someone to take a hit, start to drop. And a near by fighter or templar call a parry and they get back up.

I feel like this encourages slow rolling of defensive calls, in order to allow time for others to response.

In practice, there's often a moment in play where someone will go "Oh! Uh... got it." when hit by a swing, then someone nearby will say "Wait! Parry!". We expect the same sequence to play out with Intercept. The core takeaway here is that you can't have a defense go off *AND* Intercept it. You can have your buddy say "Weapon Shield", then you can say "Wait, Intercept!" just like you would with a Parry today. But you *can't* have your buddy say "Taken, healed", everyone tacitly agree that it's been taken, and then go "Oh, cool, you healed from it. I'm also going to Intercept it so I can use a Retribution with it to Bane it." If someone takes it, it can't *also* be Intercepted. If someone Intercepts it, it can't *also* be taken. No double-dipping when everything is said and done.

-Bryan

Back