Journal of The Time Caves

Shen [he/him]

Scholar
Chicago Staff
Marshal
As many have heard or themselves discovered, west of the yet unnamed Tavern, is a cave.

This cave is of time and from my observations seems to have instinctual impulses of its very own. Which is not entirely unrealistic or unsurprising considering Time is a fundamental aspect which constructs this new Mist Shard/Shere..

Thus far, these Caves seem to be very dangerous if you are without plan, resources or generally Cavalier of the risks. They seem to be entirely "natural" forming however we have discovered humanoid construction elements in larger open caverns within.

Inhabited within are anracnids we have affectionly named for seemingly obvious reasons "Time Spiders". They are hostle to anything which enters the cave system.

Detailed Information regarding Time Spiders
  • Seem susptible to spells, weapons, and poisons.
  • Capable of using their limbs to deliver weapon, spell, and poison attacks as well as strikes in equal measure.
  • Specific Spiders Encountered
    • Blue & White, with also "larger" version
      • Fighting them is equally exhausting and invigorating as their attacks are capable of manipulating the flow of time within your body.
    • Orange Striped across its body
      • Seems to be a sub commander of the colony. Upon its death, all nearby blue and white Spiders beserked until killed.
It is not yet observed that the Spiders have exited the cave. Rhough we did discover a Time Touched Sylvan Born Seer who shared that it has happened in the past and likely will in  our future. A future very possible should a Orange Stripe Spider die, until such a time as the colony regains control of a section of the Caves. As noted above, such is a potential should one venture close or nearby the Caves within the next few gatherings. Though we have no exact knowledge of how far they may venture away from the cave.

The Cave System
Fanatical things have been discovered within - but seemingly more important is that the cave system has other entrances. We do not as of yet know the distance of one cave entrance to another, though those who have exited to explore that entrance area report that it is far enough away that nothing within line of sight seems familiar. I personally suspect that as people were able to travel through these Caves and explore foreign areas and travel back with only a total of hours passing - that this cave system has potential to be an ideal form of travel and trade should we secure entrances as well as relocate the Spiders to make such trafficing safe.

The Time Spider Queen

All in all, what I have been told thus far is that the queen exists and the Orange Stripe Spiders are presumed to be a shadow of her power & ability.

To my knowledge the Orange Striped is the most powerful we have encountered and the mentioned Sylvan Born Seer informed us they were not the Queen's Generals but overseers of different caves.

Incomplete Makeshift map included, in need of adventurers to explore for more detailed information and also perhaps proper cartography.

Attachments

• 20221001_192129-1.jpg
    20221001_192129-1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 7
Um, hi.

We also encountered skinnier versions of the blue and white spiders which would often evade blows and also the larger versions did not use sapping or recovery attacks but rather used some kind of raw time magic on their claws to fight. Negotiation also mentioned that the time spiders have been known to leave the time cave in the past but usually only when their habitat had been thoroughly disturbed.

Also, the vault of Celestial magic contained some sort of device capable of transporting us to Elemental planes for a short time. I have a sort of key for the device but there may be others that lead to different planes.

Elfy

Due to recent events, I don't believe many beyond the Aviary ventured into the Caves this past Market - however wanted to touch base for what anyone may have learned or mapped which may be of communal interest/need/value.

I personally held Discorse with a visiting Dark Elf from the Kingdom of Night. The Caves were confirmed to be a method of exceptionally expedient travel and allow the sturdy, powerful, dedicated, questionable sane - few.... travel anywhere within Kaida Sanu. Some trips may take only minutes, some a few hours - but you could get anywhere from anywhere. The Time Spiders however are an ever present danger throughout the entire network and is more dangerous the deeper levels you traverse.

This said, there are some Kingdoms or people's who have mapped out their own little area, much the same as I suspect that we have been trying to do. Of note, there is a trading Caravan who has a steller reputation and is known to travel the Caves frequently and all over the world. However jealously guard their knowledge of the network.

The original map posted is not valid as I believe ultimately there was some temporal confusion, which is completely understandable.

The aavery have been working on a map thus far and have a small working directional knowledge immediately surrounding our nearest cave opening.

This market, we also took a large group of people to simply explore the Caves and see how much we might be able to further expand on this map for the community. We spent a great deal of time in the Caves and "put your left hand on the wall and keep going left" was a solid if not hilarious method but very valid and successful.

In those travels we found markings and a threshold that leads to the Kin Protectorate, as well as numerous other caverns & nests.

Hanging Silk sacks were discovered - but it is as of yet unknown if this is reproduction, hibernation/population control, or "food".

Another Orange Stripe was successfully killed, this new group of front line fighters learning that the last front line fights were not exaggerating their experience.

The Discovery of a Purple Stripe spider which is (somehow) even larger and fearsome than the orange and seems as if it is the next step in the hive mind chain of command. We rightfully fled from this spider and the Orange who attempted to intercept our movements, marking its location on the map. As the Purple was not engaged, there is no knowledge of its abilities or defenses - only its observeable discription and size.

Isabo, Hudson and myself discovered new spider type at our current progress. They are...heavily... armored and can endure hundreds of dagger blows and even more armor. It is theorized that this is a "Warrior type" of the colony, as it is less "drone" like and seemed to have purpose and tactics until it beserked at the death of the Orange.

We three also learned through some creative catch and release that the Armored Spider was capable of reproduction but no evidence that it was preparing or recently had spun an egg sac. It is also has the biology to spin a large amount of Silks.

We were able without combined knowledge of Alchemy, magical creatures & spider mastery, interact peacefully, examine, and harvest silk from the spider with little risk or danger, and without greavously wounding it.

Thus our future needs of harvesting silk is possible without more Killing of the creatures than is legitimately nessecary.

Additionally, it's armored shell is equally harvestable without grievous harm, and Hudson & I plan to explore this material over the winter with other Avery assistance.

I will update the info sheet as I acquire time.

-
Shen

Back