July Event Review: Nature Calls!

mythic

Baron
Okay, home, unpacked and almost dry. Why does it rain in Calgary always when we have to unpack?

At any rate:

We want to hear what you thought about the event such as:

Highlight
Low point
Things done well
Where we can improve.

Let us know and the IBGA emails fly!!!

One thing I would like to add, this is for comments. NOT DEBATES. Please post a your comment, do not reply to other peoples comments. If there is something you want to debate, make a new thread please.

Thank you.

Highlight/Things done well -
Had a lot of fun! The festival wasn't as 'intense' as I was expecting, but that's a good thing in a lot of ways too. I didn't realise until the end how few NPCs there actually where (I had heard 15 were registered)
The best part was the added layers of suspense the Dark Elves added. Our cabin decorations were sabotaged many times, and the lock on our door was picked a few times (nothing appeared to be taken though), and a few other things happened with circumstantial evidence pointing towards the Dark Elves. That and the whole thing with them trying to claim Nico's money which set of a whole 'nother chain of events (that we were JUST getting to a good part in when the 'end game' horn sounded - I'm hoping some of that can play out over the IG forums!)
NPCs were great. Props especially to the two new players on their characters.
(Math has developed a secret crush on two characters... shhh!)

I love how much of the plot and management of the campaign setting is player-driven and it all comes together so nicely allowing Logistics to focus more on 'big picture' storytelling. This somewhat came to mind when Frederek rezzed me, they have the log book which helps log track player deaths, but was further highlighted near the end of the event. Today (sunday) Math's mischevious 'white feather' streak kicked in (which is why I was hitting people for '0 normal' out of the blue, and poking dead NPCs with my staff) and so when the Magistrate mentioned the 'Slander' law, I immediately began to scheme ways of writing nefarous things, with the defence that it wasn't Slander, but Libel... but then my dominant black feather kicked in and went "No, teetering on the law of the land is probably a very bad thing." so I went to Mobius to say "It might be prudent to add "Libel" to the Slander law." At which point Mobius suggested I 'vet' the local laws to make them more logically consistent as well as concise and better understood for the citizens. (Something suited to both my OOG temperment and math's IG temperment)
That plus Lorant and Tess joining the Guard and Garnet joining the ... town watch, was it? made me clue in how much of local law enforcement and process was handled by the PLAYERS, and it definitely kicked this whole concept up a notch too. (Now that I think about it - Math *might* be interested in the town watch, but hasn't heard much about it - maybe he'll ask Garnet since he's a member...)

Low points -
Low points were extremely minor - nothing grievous! However things that should be pointed out nonetheless;
* This morning, JP broke character to scold someone for shoving their shield in his face. While that was fine, I had a hard time knowing when the scolding ended and when he 'resumed' character and we could continue fighting. There was a bit of a pause, and then he went back to fighting while we were respectfully not attacking, catching us effectively 'off guard' and getting hits in before we knew we were back to fighting. Calling a HOLD would have been appropriate, or even just saying "Lay on" so we knew to resume attacking. (Dave Sutton pointed out that they are used to something called 'Red Armband' fighting, where a lot more body contact is allowed, so our ruleset is a bit of an adjustment)
* After the mod in Cabin 1, we were wondering about the value of the gem (with 2 merchants in the group - Ithota and myself). Abbey told us we would need to take it to Logistics (which was closed). While this would normally be fine, the item in question was the Sapphire of No Value needed for the hunt, and we had no way to find that information out until after the hunt was over. The marshal adjudicating the module should have been able to tell the merchants this upon examination. (Though I recognize untagged items generally have no value - and I used this to appease the fire ant tamer not to sic his ants on Lorant after being bribed with a gold chain, apparently there are exceptions, because the blue gem we tried to turn in has 'minor value' even though it was also untagged - apparently there's a marking on them that a geologist can read that merchants can't. When we took it to a Geologist, he interpreted the lack of marking as meaning it was 'unique' or of 'exceptional' value, rather than no value, and that we needed to take it to Logistics - so we did try other in-game ways to get this information.)
* Horn sounded right as some RP was getting really good (around the legal issues between Nico and the Dark Elves). :( I know there's probably some time constraints with having to be out of there and site inspected, but it was a real downer. (I think at least 1/2 dozen people all said "Aww!" or something similar.)

I think that guy who played the Vampire on Saturday night, what's his name, Andreas? Going out into town and scaring the poop out of everyone. He was awesome! Highlight of the event!

And when his brother showed up, another Vamp (I think that was Cory), the duo really scared the padidle out of everyone. Epic!

No bias here whatsoever. :shades:

Fing great event PERIOD
Great work plot. Great work by npcs, Abbey, pcs, everyone. Many thanks to Edmonton crew. You taught me alot and I made a bunch of new freinds.

had alot of fun hope i can make it again. The green fairy was beautiful XD I think my biggest high light was near the end when myself and angus got into a good rythm during a fight. His swordsman ship keeping the enemy occupied and making openings for my arrows. Another high light was more of an OOG one but I gotta say I really appreciate the concern several others showed when I wasn't feeling well. Thank you everyone. I really really hope I can make it too the next event.

Well done players far and wide as well as plot for making this a memorable game. The festival was a lot of fun, and I had a lot of pride myself for being the logistics officer for setting props (lots of compliments :thumbsup: ) and team of the Imperial Spellblades (While it IC ticked me off that we were sabotaged 4-5 times in the colors side by our cabin, I took it as an ooc thing we did quite well that it was needed attacked kekeke. :watsup: )

As for outside the events themselves, the nights proved to be a tense moment. Quick on your feet, and really wanting to get the laser eye surgery from JP's ambush attack at the cabin haha, well played it was! The fire ants game was a fun one, if a bit pricey, and the modules were epic. Massive props to the cabin traps, if holy crap to how much 10 feet can be deadly haha :sweat: .

The only low point I really can think of my feet in the race, where both the bridge and front of my feet were injured on something trying to bounce past the six monsters. Keep up the good work, and can't wait for August!

Highlight - House Brutii! Great having that many new faces, and I was totally impressed with how they played. I need to do some serious thinking about finding my characters "voice" and being farther in character more of the time.

Low point - Watching an old bald guy with one bind spell being chased by two Celestial Mages! <grin> The Tourney was great but picking spells to keep my party alive (I used 15 of 16 heal spells and 3 of 4 heal potions!) did not leave much for combat at the tourney.

Things done well - pacing. I was kept involved the whole time (no time for or interest in a nap!) but I did not get the feeling that things were just being thrown at us willy nilly.

Where we can improve - I know the numbers are tough to predict, but having more folks for breakfast that there was breakfast was awkward. What there was was good! The numbers just seems a little short for food and drink in a few places. The cut off of the role playing that was going on at the end of the event was also unfortunate. I was VERY curious how that was going to come out!

Hello all Mark here and I have to say I had so much fun and planing right now to be there in August, High point well getting to go out and be as flamboyant as possible as the Fire Ant Trainer, it was great to let loose around people that are doing the same and Ding Dong Death. looking forward to August.

Well, I have nothing bad to say about this event. Except maybe getting hit with 3 Terminates over a span of something like 5 minutes on Fri night. Plot really seems to have it out for Garridan, lol. I think they just want to see me in the 10% club. :grrr: That said when JP approached me and started to talking, I didn't recognize the voice at first and thought with the dark face he was Saeryn (sp?) the sneaky Dark Elf. Then I got Terminated and what I had on me was lifted, so I assumed it was a Dark Elf at first and the shenanigans had started. :hahaha:

The Underworld crew really brought their "A" game and showed us how immersed they can get. The two Soldiers standing guard at the Dark Elf cabin all weekend was a sight to behold. I find it draining enough and am still trying to recover from the lack of sleep and all that running around. I know that when I finally bring my Dark Elf out to play, I'm really gonna have to up my game to keep up with those guys. I know some of the other players and I were talking about trying to count coup amongst the dark elves just like they were testing to see who they could sneak up on. Half blind guy? Check! I find I am still looking over my shoulder for Saeryn.

One of the highlights of the weekend has to be NOT DYING!!! :D I thought for sure I was gonna be 3 for 3 and pull a stone, but luckily I managed to get healed or only knocked down to zero. I was glad I wasn't the first to 3 Deaths. Luckily for Brook, and especially Mike's character, that she pulled a white stone.

The breakfast issues sucked, but **** happens and I am sure we'll all be better prepared next time. These hiccoughs are gonna happen.

And congrats to all the fighters in the one on one combats great show you guys put on especially Ulfgar (Chris) and Cruxis (Josh IIRC), that was truly an epic battle.

Highlight: The tall elf (sorry I can`t remember the character name) that took a dislike to the Dark Elves and stuck to his guns the whole game. You were a big part of the game for me, and your character interactions were always consistent and great!

Aengus, may he find vengeance for his fallen clan. I foresee this character becoming a major factor in the goings on of House Brutii.

Honour met with honour, between the house of Burtii and the Biata Brigade. We actually considered withdrawing and conceding victory to your group in the 3vs.3 tournament as a show of respect, but honour (and a Domina left in the sun without shade) would not allow such an act.

Low point: Getting into character takes me at least 30 minutes, if I get snapped out of character it takes me another 30 mintues to get back into my character mind set, nothing snaps me out of character faster than being spoken to about OOG things like computers, cars, science fiction, etc. Now that being said I am fairly practiced at avoiding OOG areas and ignoring the actions and words of players in white head bands (or with fist on head), but when I am around or approached by a person that seems to be completely IG I am not mentally guarded for OOG interaction or topics.

I would appreciate considerably that any person wishing to talk to me about an OOG topic place their hand on their head and let me take in the fact that their OOG and place my hand on my head before conversing about OOG things. Also if an OOG conversation is going to, or seems to be getting to the point where it`s going to take longer than 10 minutes, it would be appreciated if the interaction was moved to an OOG area.

Things done well: I really like how the law is for the most part over seen by the PCs themselves, any part of the day to day goings on of the game that can be placed in the hands of the PCs will benefit the game.
I also liked that even though the major NPC characters in the game were active in the town, they didn`t steal the spot light from the PCs.

Most importantly I was happy to find out that the NPCs were not afraid to put a PC into their bleed count.

Where we can improve: You really know your customers and that shows in the game you deliver, it seems tailor made to accommodate the expectations of your player base. The last minute loss of a fair chunk of the NPC team was felt, but it was not something that could have been fixed at game (the NPCs that were at the game did an amazing job).

The only thing I would change is to create a designated OOG (Out Of Game) area (other than the parking lot). It seems players would like a place where they can hang up their character for a while and decompress for a time, and eat some hot food without fear of having to run at a moment’s notice. The fire pit seems like an ideal place to set up an OOG spot. Here players can cook some food and eat while chatting about the OOG things that they are bursting at the seams to discuss, and NPCs will not have to worry about fighting near a fire area or what to do if PCs are at the fire during a combat.

High Points
As a spectator (doing the photography thing), the festival seemed to run fairly smoothly. I know there were down times while npc's were getting ready and facilities were being set-up but I was impressed to see how pc's made use of this time, with RP and plot development. The festival was so much fun to watch. The combats were epic; the mages circling each other was hilarious; the inventive ways pc's solved the scavenger hunt was brilliant. Next year it will be even better!

Dark Elves -- OMG what a great bunch. I won't lie -- in some circles, there was apprehension about this group joining us but OOG I don't think there was any problems. The storyline these DE have added to our plot was great, will continue to be great and will be felt for many events to come. They also helped develop our towns fledgling legal system and militia force.

Personally I've learned a lot from these folks both IG and OOG. Because of them I can see ways I can be a better player and better RP'er. Thank you!

Low Points
I died and lost all my money and potions :(
[But then I rez'd and got a little "charity of friends" and don't feel so po' anymore!]

My toon had prepared a story (She is Profession Storyteller) for during the entertainment portion of the festival but once the King and Grand Nagus (I mean Magus LOL) left, everyone just dispersed. I think this could have been a great opportunity for folks (including myself) to do some RP. I should have been more vocal that I had a story to share -- and when have you known me to be backward in coming forward HEHEHE! So I missed the chance just as much as anyone else. We need to do more during tavern and meal time. RP drinking and being bawdy, etc.

Other thoughts
Guys, speaking as someone who assisted in Logistics, you have got to do more about being prepared when you come to Log on Friday nights. I won't be there in August and Tracy will be on her own. It's really hard if you come with missing bits of armor/costume, missing spell books, you didn't double-check your pre-reg character sheet, you didn't select spells, you loose your armor tags, etc etc etc. You should pre-reg. You should check your character. COME TO GAME PREPARED!!

Tracy does an amazing job. She gets you through Log but she also handles all the npc character sheets; she makes sure people (and the game) are on time and heading to the right location. She keeps npc's feed and watered, and tells them when to rest. She is the person "behind the curtain" keeping the machinery running. So when I say she can be helped "bribed" with milk chocolate and gluten-free snacks, and that she'll kick your butt when your cabin ain't clean -- I mean it. She works just as hard as the rest of the crew.

[love ya babe!]

{she did not pay or bribe me to say all that!}

So be prepared and be nice.

So say we all

Well lets see it has been a while so I need to check my notes.

High Points:

Seeing how the town reacted to a large new force of Dark Elves. They were a source of plotting both with and against. Having played with most of them before I knew they would bring something to the game.

Having to place odds on the festival. Did mean I sat back and watched others fight the whole time. I still like someone put money on something that even if their bet won I made coin off of it. And carrying around that much coin with me had me worried.

Having to kick a character out of the cabin I was in. He took it like a champ, but you really have to realize some deals have other effects. Getting kicked out of the cabin was just the first point. And seeing his new master help him get what he wanted in the end. I can't wait to see the waves that it will cause.

The new players in my cabin, For their first event they sure jumped in with both feet and didn't look back. Even though one wasn't feeling well, I made sure he was check on.

Heck my cabin was awesome and stressful, because of the "escaped" or "free" indentured servant of the Dark elves. I later found out one of them was hiding under to deal with him. Glad he didn't attack me as I sat writing in my journal at the end of the night.

Keeping an in game journal that I am writing by lantern light at the end of each night. It helps me remember what is going on my character thoughts and more. A fighter with read and write really seems to be stranger, but I am making it work.

Bribing npc and players with cookies.

Spending time in Burin tent. Enough said.

Low Points:

It all kind of flows from the same place. People going out of character. I didn't spend much time at the fire pit because of it. I know that I was told as I walked by at one point game was over on Saturday night, while that might have been true for some people I still have IC thing that I wanted to get done. It really breaks game and character if you are walking about and a loud voice yells "Hey come over, Game is over for now".

Also if a player in a white headband starts to ask me questions about what has gone on and I put my hand on my head and tell them to go away. I am not being rude you are out of game and I am still in game, If you want to ask find me later in Character and ask, I am more likely going to give a better response.

Other points:

Neither good nor bad. I did get a talking to by one of the plot members for my shield work. At the time I backed away and stopped fighting that NPC. But I should have told him to stop trying to rush me and push me back. I was set and wasn't going to back down from him, which is what caused the issue in the first place. We talked about it after the game, and it was a mistake on both our parts. Live and learn.

Ways to improve the game:
Some kind of single group minor plots to follow up. Everything seems to be focused on every group having the same experience. I know that player action caused some group issues. That only members of one meta organization got involved in. I know this event was more pvp full, but some of the npc could have come out with notes and rumors for single people or groups. That may or may not lead to anything in the next game. It may have happened when I had my walks to figure out who was competing in the contests.

Things done well:
The NPC core was good for fights and I enjoyed switching up who I was fighting. Also the dominate spell hitting me that last fight could have gone differently. Letting the npc play non combat roles, I know that they had some good minor roles that seemed unimportant, but I know we will want them back.

High Points:
The tension and role-play the group of Dark Elf's brought to the game was great, so many new story arcs and drama kept me busy all weekend.

Low Point:
Much of Saturday and Sunday morning had built up to a trial we were about to have and then the horn went to end the event as we were walking over to have it.

Other Points:
I know we are having some issues with staying in character but every event at Sunday morning after the 2-8 quiet time has started there are about 10-15 of us around the fire OOC sharing our favourite moments from the event so far, its been a great experience and one that I look forward to happening every time we go.

Okay now to see things from an Imperial view point.

High Points

Nice to see Laurent and the Imperials starting to make their own unique mark, and the appearance of the Darkin seems to have been IG a great push for it. This was the event where through Roleplay they finally became "accepted" as fully contributing members of Parson's Breach, rather than outsiders with their own agendas. Oh sure I think the other characters now accept they have agendas, but now also see they will put the citizens of Parson's Breach first.

The battle in the night when that giant creature ordered some of the elemental creatures to attack the cabins. Laurent realizes Tess is helpless recovering in there and concludes that "someone has to go deal with it", ends up linking up with Angus...and then it dawns on them they are pretty much the only two facing two of the creatures. Time to get deadly serious and clear the cabins...no more "leading from the rear" for Laurent and time to show what being an Imperial of the Blood really means. :noway: That was some epic battle there in character and has become a new defining moment for the character with others in the town.

Sharing drinks and a comrade's walk back from the fields. Sometimes it is the little things... :funny:

Low Points

>KLANG!!<< ****=coo...thud! Yeah having my bell rung...sucked. And I for one completely support it was an accident by the NPC as the only way was his trident clocking me was my turning and deflecting his attack away with my own sword. When he pulled in just as I twisted to score another hit...BLANG!!! Oh yeah that feedback was like having an Orc mate with a Drow...twice...with sub-titles. Even Twilight doesn't suck that much... at least I stopped myself from puking on the Game Owner. Vertigo to a deaf man really is an experience and I still get surprised on what can suddenly "who turned off the gravity" without warning.

However let me add to that the concern and respect from the crew was wonderful. Poor J.P. didn't know I'd gotten rung so badly, and must have thought I was drunk or something...heck for about an hour I did walk pretty lop-sided. Well at least people understand the wide tri-horn more, as it does help protect from MOST of those kinds of accidental blows. It was a fluke, and I made sure that was known. :shades:

Overall

The Low point to me was an accident, so that's easy to hand wave and just tell myself to be more willing to call "hold"...mind you world spinning and kissing ground I think I forgot if I was even wearing pants at the time. :shock: That heat made me have to "step out yet stay in game" to adjust to dehydration and vertigo, which meant I hated missing some priceless moments. Trade off though, that same thing led to Epic memorable moments thanks to others feeling the heat and dehydration.

Memorable Point

LLLLEEEEEEERRRROOOOOOOYYYYYYY JJEENNNNKINSSSSS!!!!

Laurent even has the same initials as Leroy Jenkins, love it! LOL

Loved the comic relief I just had from reading your post, Laurent. :funny: We'll try to keep trident wielding orcs away from you on the next event.

Ok my turn.

Highpoint: So many to chose from, It was such an awesome weekend that its hard to pick a fav. I really, really enjoyed the fight between Ulfric and the dark elf wanna be. The back and forth hits, and hearing JP reminding them to call their breaches, and then they both just fall over! Priceless! And when i learned that the "Calanda sunrise" was an intoxicate elixer, i just had to give it to klang for his fight. It made it all the more while to see him fight....and then throw up, on the feild. :funny:

Everyone did a great job this weekend with keeping themself busy and getting in to the RP alot. Yeah Dark Elves for the constant entertainment both incharacter and out. Watching the Gypsy during the Saterday morning training was almost to much to handle and i had to walk away or die laughing. and my Little Test later that night was super intimidating!

Lowpoint: The Trial that was stopped because of the "game off" call was a bummer, I would have liked to see the out come of it as there was a big leadup to it....but now this gives me Aengus time to prepare, and make a few inquires which will be helpful. A not a total bad thing, but it would have been a great end to the weekend.

Things done well: The tournament was fantastic! I liked the way it was run and how the events were evened out through out the day, but i do think that a little less down time for the others could have been made. Maybe a few more random monsters out stalking the woods for those that were careless enough to travel alone. The lizard men were a nice distraction, but not enough, in my opinion.

Where we can Improve: Because this weekend was something completely diffrent then our past events its tough to say were things can improve. Maybe in a year when we come back to the tournament then we can get a better Idea. As for the OOG conversations I think most of us are doing pretty good. I have my lapes somtimes where I will break character sometimes, but i do try my best, even around the fire. I for one am still pretty new at all this so it will take me some time to get in the feel of it all, but we are doing good.

Back