kite spar

Jevedor

Fighter
New Hampshire Staff
Crossroads Staff
Im trying to find kite spar. I found this link in an old thread

http://www.kitebuilder.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/33_55?osCsid=8e9112623b869aeb4912c3009bd484f1

dreamingfurther posted it a while ago. but what i dont get is the measurements listed on the page.

Epoxy .418" x .505" x 64.0"

is the pipe not circular? what is the .418 for? i assume the .505 is the thickness. Also is there any store i can get the stuff from I hate ordering stuff online if I can avoid it.

- Jeremy

I believe the .418" is the inner diameter.

I've also never really found a store that sells the stuff. I too prefer buying from a store rather than online but I've always had no trouble getting kite spar from these folks.

so .418 is how hollow it is? and .505 is the full thickness... is that good? seems like it would be brittle, or is that standard?

nope, that is the standard. Kite spar is extremely strong and in my experience that thickness is not brittle at all. You do have to either build out the core a bit. Or have a "fat tip" sword because if you cut your foam to wrap directly around the core your blade will have a (legal) diameter which is smaller than 2" and thrusting/waylay tips must be 2" minimum.

intothewind.com is good too. I orderd from there a lot

Gilwing said:
intothewind.com is good too. I orderd from there a lot

I was looking around that site. Is it correct they only have the .505 kite spar? Or was I just not finding their biggest diameter pieces?

huh, for some reason that page won't load for me. :?

FYI: If you're a CT player, you can actually purchase kite spar and foam from us and save yourself shipping and handling.

i use .505 OD for the short stuff
and .745 OD for the two handers and the wepons we made all passed. we made 2 claws, a spear, a glaive, 2 swords, an axe, a mace and a few others

youthculture said:
FYI: If you're a CT player, you can actually purchase kite spar and foam from us and save yourself shipping and handling.

wow i wish i had read this sooner. already ordered stuff. oh well I will know for next time. who would i email at caldaria to make that order for future reference

If you want good core materials w/o shopping online, graphite golf clubs and fishing rods can be obtained rather easily. Just keep the fishing rods out of Jesse H's hands. You just have to prep them a bit more before you make your rep. ie take the last eyelet of the rod, and cut the foam bottom to get to the core to counterweight it.

Will

Back