Kukris?

Sheakhan

Adept
Just curious on the weapon rules for kukris? Are the allowed? Do they require special construction? Is it a case by case thing?

So, I am not experienced enough with kitespar/carbon graphite to consider whether or not there is a way to curve the core safely.

So I can't direct you towards a way to construct a kukri.

That being said, I found this.

https://zombiesplayground.com/p-1297-ra ... kukri.aspx

I saw nothing inherently dangerous in the description. Mind you, a weapon needs to be cleared as safe at event, and some latex weapons use extremely stiff foam, like Calimacil, and won't clear.

Being a kukri-style isn't what will disqualify a weapon. Being outside the guidelines in the rulebook for construction, or just being ruled a weapon that will hurt someone by striking them with it, that's what will disqualify a weapon.

You can safely curve PVC, or use joints if they don't affect the weapon's safety, that is.

Draven said:
Wow, only 18" long. That's not even long enough to be considered a small weapon (minimum is 20").

I recommend against kukris even if you do find a way to make some longer than 20". While they are cool looking they are too small to be practical in Alliance as a primary weapon where people and creatures will be using weapons that are 36" to 48" for one-handed weapons and up to 72" two-handed weapons.

But, as a secondary weapon or a backup weapon for a scholar-type character it could be cool as long as it meets the minimum standards.

Evan is right, though, that what makes a weapon "not allowed" is (a) not meeting the specs for it's category (see the rulebook page 81), (b) not being "safe". The fact it is curved may be taken into account, but isn't a disqualifying feature.

P.S. All weapons must be checked by a Rules Marshal every game to ensure that the weapons we are using are safe.

To some extent, all weapons are a case-by-case thing. Every weapon has to fit within the guidelines laid out in the rulebook. Every item is classified into a group and must fit the specifications of that group. If the linked items were a little longer and were approved on-site, they'd be daggers because most of the melee classifications are entirely length dependent.

Evan is correct, you can't bend kitespar, but you can bend pvc relatively easily. Some players still use PVC weapons, and for shorter weapons there isn't much difference. That said, we generally don't allow joints in weapons, with the notable exception of bows because they're blocking only.

On a related note, while curved weapons are entirely legal, there's a good reason that most people don't use them. They tend to be fairly ineffective and tricky to fight with well. You can, of course, play with whatever weapons fit your character, but you may want to consider playing with some bent weapons for a few games before spending a lot of money on latex versions.

My major issue with the latex weapons is the uncertainty about thrusting/stabbing tips and waylay pommels. I would rather have an ugly PVC weapon that is a utility weapon, than have an awesome latex one and also have to carry around a waylay widget, for some reason that always bugged me I guess.
How can you determine the stabbing/waylay potential for expensive latex weapons before you actually have them in-hand?

Sheakhan said:
How can you determine the stabbing/waylay potential for expensive latex weapons before you actually have them in-hand?

By default you may not thrust or Waylay with a latex weapon.

In order to do so, they must have an approved-by-a-marshal thrusting and waylay tip built in/on.

So even if you get a Latex weapon with a built-in Waylay or Thrusting tip, it still has to be approved by a marshal before you may do so with that weapon.

-Adam
OR/SEA Marshal

So, I'm not a crafter of foam latex, but we know people who can make custom latex weapons to your specifications, and some people even have foam latex customs with squishy Waylay/thrusting tips built in.

So, if you're willing to drop a pretty penny on it, maybe someone could make you one. I'd imagine a something with a core up to the bend, and then possibly a few inches of coreless blade at an angle. I don't think this would be an unsafe construction, as you'd be hitting people with the cored inside angle. But I'm just speculating, I'm no expert.

You could definitely do a PVC variant, I just hate PVC for my personal use due to weight. I love me some ultralight.

There is a local foamsmith who specializes in making waylay safe latex weapons. I used one the other week and it blew my mind how nice it was. I can put you in contact with him, if you like.

That would be pretty awesome, though once I get my orders of gaff tape I can make some fairly sturdy boffers. Duct tape is mediocre, but it'll hold me over until I can get ahold of decent materials or some reasonable premades.

Sorry it took me this long to chime in. I actually own a latex set I bought offline for $70 each. True you can not waylay or thrust with them, but i have had no issues will this. If you would like I can dig the Link up for where I got them.

Renner

Back