Latex axes/maces.

SomeGuy

I know some people have had bad experiences with latex axes and maces. Personally I haven't handled any, but I'm considering some for a character. Has anyone handled or bought a latex axe or mace that they were happy with?

jpariury said:
Bought? No. But Bryan G has made a couple for Gurv that were pretty rockin'.

I haven't personally had any issues with the latex hammers and maces I've used (and I've purchased and used a decent number of them in different games), but have stayed away from pick-like structures.

I've heard some are hard as rocks, but others have soft squishy heads almost on par with what we're used to in boffers. Depends on the maker I guess. But yeah, staying away from ones with pointy bits on them is good. :)

One problem with axes and maces is that they have more mass behind them than other weapons. It means that the person wielding it needs to be in more control of their swings and not simply throw a shot and let the person getting hit stop the blow - absorbing all of the kinetic energy behind the shot. You have to place/pull the shot when you hit the person. Again, it goes back to the wielder being responsible.

Baligan said:
http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/p-5161-dwarven-larp-axe.aspx

Sean

Thanks,

I'm thinking about getting one of those little daggers for cutting out friends from entangles. $25 isn't much to help upgrade my costuming.

markusdark said:
One problem with axes and maces is that they have more mass behind them than other weapons. It means that the person wielding it needs to be in more control of their swings and not simply throw a shot and let the person getting hit stop the blow - absorbing all of the kinetic energy behind the shot. You have to place/pull the shot when you hit the person. Again, it goes back to the wielder being responsible.

I just want to second this. I got hit in the face with a mace at the last event with enough force to bend the nose piece on my eyeglasses all the way in and cut the bridge of my nose. The player wielding the mace was not swinging particularly hard, it was just the energy it gained when coming down from the back swing and misjudging when he pulled the shot.

Sunnfire said:
We had a number of latex weapons at our opener.

One was a latex axe.

Nobody exploded when hit with it.

Even me! Yay! Whatever weapon Albert was using, I approve it.

Back