Latex Swords

evi1r0n

Baron
I want to start attempting to make latex weapons. I thought I would start with a sword. I have no idea what I am doing so any tips that you can provide would be appreciated. A materials list and good brands is a big help too. I have cores already (carbon fiber golf shafts).

I have had the blue camp foam pads(available at walmart) reccomended to me, with w/e open cell foam(I get mine at joanne fabrics) with the coating being "plasti dip spray color: black", then painted with acrylic paint to your design then some layers of "plasti dip spray clear" (both plasti dip sprays available at lowes I've heard). I have not yet attempted it, but this will be the method I use when I do try it.

I would also be interested in what kinds of tools people use to shape foam. The cheaper the better. Also what kind of glue should I use to glue camp foam together?

modeling knife works well for detail work. serrated steak knives for larger work.

I've heared a few things about the adhesive. Liquid nails is what I was considering for my first attempt.

evi1r0n said:
I would also be interested in what kinds of tools people use to shape foam. The cheaper the better. Also what kind of glue should I use to glue camp foam together?

That was the hardest part for me. I still can't figure it out right. Heck I even have trouble cutting in a straight line. I think its more of where I am working (a small a$$ apartment). I have used a hot wire cutter as well as a dremil to get a bit more closer cut. I just can't seem to keep the damn thing even and straight with out messing up the foam. I know that sandpaper will help smooth it out when your done, other wise the latex will look bubbly.

Gilwing said:
That was the hardest part for me. I still can't figure it out right. Heck I even have trouble cutting in a straight line. I think its more of where I am working (a small a$$ apartment). I have used a hot wire cutter as well as a dremil to get a bit more closer cut. I just can't seem to keep the damn thing even and straight with out messing up the foam. I know that sandpaper will help smooth it out when your done, other wise the latex will look bubbly.

Same problems I had. The hardest part of making a flat-bladed boffer, in my opinion, was getting the angled "edge" just right. I bought one of those hot-wire foam cutting boards for (I think) $30 from Hobby Lobby:

61829-1001-1-3ww-l.jpg

But I realized that I would need to clamp on some guide-boards to keep the sword perfectly straight, replace the cheap plastic knob that secures the swinging arm at different angles, and tighten/replace the cutting wire. The loose wire kept throwing off the straight lines.

What we REALLY need is someone in the states to make these: http://www.dein-larp-shop.de/product_in ... cts_id=294

If I knew that enough people would buy them, I'd consider making these "blank swords" in the future, when I had some sort of dedicated workshop and not just my dining room table.

Instead of having a pointed tip, they could have a flat end where you attach your own open-cell foam thrusting tip, cover it in duct-tape or cloth, and BAM! You got yourself Alliance-friendly boffer swords with significantly improved aesthetics. You could still have latex and foam for the cross guard to the pommel, and you'd have a really nice balance between looks, safety, maintenance, and cost.

I wonder how much people would pay for these here in America. $15? $20 for the largest size?

I can't remember where, but I saw a guide for making your own flat blades once where the guy took a metal trowel and sharpened the edge of it for cutting. It seemed to work decently well for cutting long straight lines since it was so wide.

You guys are made of win. Thanks for the tips. If anyone comes up with any others please keep them coming. Thanks again!

If I was going to consider mass production for foam swords, best place to start is building a jig.

You can make one out of c-clamps, wood base or table top, and use another PVC pipe clamped down as your guide.

They're staves, so I think plasti-dip will be okay, but for most weapon, I suspect it might be a bit too heavy.

Also - just bought one of those foam-cutters for Oregon. Thanks for the suggestion, GunFodder!

Probably my favorite tools for cutting foam remains, to this day, an electric turkey carving knife for large pieces and a simple fillet knife or Xacto knife for detail work.

jpariury said:
They're staves, so I think plasti-dip will be okay, but for most weapon, I suspect it might be a bit too heavy.

Also - just bought one of those foam-cutters for Oregon. Thanks for the suggestion, GunFodder!
So far there's this one guy who uses plastidip I suspect for his weapons. An dthey look pretty good. Almost like Euro larp quality latex weapons. His company is called Wynar's.

Here's a link for ya to check them out. http://www.wynar.com/for-a-beatin-good-time.html

He used to have a tutorial on how he builds his stuff, but now that he's got a real business on it not sure if I can still find it. My former Head of Props used those techniques to make some weapons, and they are indeed awesome. And yes I'm 99% sure it's plasti-dip.

Wow, I haven't been here in a while. Anyhoo, ChrioLA posted a fantastic tutorial a couple years back, apparently from the same Wynar gentleman, right here on these very boards.

http://www.alliancelarp.com/forum/viewt ... x+tutorial

I DESPERATELY want to use his techniques to make some weapons, but it's going to have to wait until I move into a bigger place.

Hope that helps!

Edit: Corrected the source of the tutorial.

Back