Laws of The Wildlands Request

Darkcrescent

Baron
Chicago Staff
Marshal
Mr. Crane,

Would you be willing and able to read off a list of the laws of these lands, as provided by his Grace Duke Albatross?

I think for those who could not attend the last gather, it would be beneficial so we do not accidentally cause an issue in our new home.

With thanks,
Lord Asher Oakheart

Yea and it was kinda hard to hear cause there was a whole lotta hootin and hollerin once he said the part about da sanctioned necromancers...and how day had a mark like Peter Doogins sorry is I spelled dat wrong as we know reading and writtin is hard.

Yep....there are people that are allowed to do Necromancy in these lands and have a feather mark on their arm...mark of the Duke I believe...

I believe anyone is allowed to use necromancy, but the marked people are somehow more allowed to use necromancy? The difference between the two wasn't particularly defined.

- Sarvenius

Yes, if I recall, anyone who is marked is to be allowed to do as they wish unless they are found to be too unregulated or something.

To add, just because you are marked doesn’t mean you have cast necromancy or been part of a necromancy ritual; I can say that Peter hasn’t done either.

Cass

Im, sorry, I wasn't there to listen to this firsthand, but does this means those with the mark can create those half-undead berzerker... things... unchecked, as long as it doesn't interfere with those in power? That the corruption of the Fey' s glade, is borderline acceptable? That, as long as you have the mark and the blessings of the ruling power, one could make an army of the damned to crush those who oppose you? Maybe my mind went to the worst case scenarios, but this is very disturbing. It is one thing that the times have changed, but another entirely if one is allowed to use necromancy unchecked as long as it isn't "too unregulated," whatever that means. Who decides that? A council? Local peers? Solely the ruling power?

-Gerard Elderweiss

As I understand it, the three guilds that surround the Duchy of Ravensong are extremely hostile and would see the Duchy destroyed as soon as possible. I have not met any envoys from those guilds so I cannot give a first hand account of their motives. I am led to believe that the bloodied berserkers are one of the tools that one of those guilds is using to attack us, and are one of the reasons for the use of necromancy magics in Ravensong.

It has been relayed to me that Ravensong uses undead soldiers to defend itself against these outside forces. If I have the right of it, it is either the law or custom of these lands that when a citizen dies their bones are given to the Duchy to be raised by "sanctioned necromancers" as soldiers for this undead force. The remaining remains of the citizen are returned to their families to be taken care of as fits the family's custom.

The justifications given for the use this undead force are many, and flawed. The undead need no food, shelter, or medicine and are thus more affordable than standard troops. Using the undead as soldiers allows the living to work skilled trades and live further away from the frontlines. These undead soldiers are immune to the berserk effects that Ravensong's enemies are using, they have no fear, and few of the other weaknesses of the living.

As I understand the situation these "sanctioned necromancers" are tasked with the maintenance of this undead force. Each of these mages is tied to an anchor, someone or something to remind them of the importance of their task, of what they must protect. It is believed that this anchor will prevent them from delving too deep into the dark arts, or straying from the path that is for the greater good.

If one of these "sanctioned necromancers" begins to stray from that path, begins to give in to the evil that is inherent in the use of that magic, the state will apprehend them and determine whether they can be redeemed, or if they must be put down.

I am sure that I have gotten some of this wrong, as I am working on second and third hand information.

I know that I do not now, never have, and never will support the use of necromantic magic.

These lands that we find ourselves in are in a truly dark place. We will all have to make choices about what we value and who we are. I find myself thinking of Sir Victor Von Gryphon when he charged us all to "Walk with honor"

-Baeleon

Never even considered you would approve of Necromancy my friend,

Can we agree that between us adventurers, marked or unmarked, use of necromancy of our own free will should be punishable by resurrection, as it always has been.

To any other, we may not have authority as it comes from His Grace, but I will not tolerate the use of necromancy in my presence.

Asher

I cannot overstate the sheer hubris of using the undead for soldiers. I can see it now, some jumped up fool of a vampire like Targus waltzing into town and finding a ready-made conquering force just awaiting his commands. Idiocy. Suicidal idiocy.

-Nikolai

Lord Asher, while His Grace may look the other way should we slay our own, those that are Marked may be under His watchful eye. As far as I can tell, we are surrounded by enemies. To them, we may even be the "bad guys" here, with our "backwards thinking" and "persecution" against what is apparently tradition here for an untold amount of time. I feel that we should not do anything to rock the boat, as it were. Remember, we were thrust forward hundreds of years, from a time that was considered legend. It may do us well to tackle this politically, rather than with stubbornness.

That being said, I think I would like to see some historical documents, at some point, to see what led to this kind of radical change. If we could find what drove them to necromancy, barring laziness and financial gain, maybe we could remedy it.

-Gerard Elderweiss

Asher is still Lord of Horizon. He says necromancy is illegal dere, it's illegal dere. Prolly goes witout sayin', but you ever see me do necromancy, you make sure I never come back tru da circle. I'd do da same fer any a you if ya wanted. Prolly if you didn't want it too.

GRONK

If I am ever labeled the “bad guy” for my views against the corruption of the land with the use of Necromancy then I fully welcome the “good guys” to make me change my mind.

It doesn’t matter if I’m stripped of what his Grace, Duke Jullian Idden granted me from King Talon Gaden himself or if I am to walk as any other, Necromancy will never be tolerated. That view I would hope goes for each of you.

Lord Asher Oakheart of Horizon
Druid of Serenity Among Discord
Healer of the once Earth Guild of Gaden

Im, sorry, I wasn't there to listen to this firsthand, but does this means those with the mark can create those half-undead berzerker... things... unchecked, as long as it doesn't interfere with those in power? That the corruption of the Fey' s glade, is borderline acceptable? That, as long as you have the mark and the blessings of the ruling power, one could make an army of the damned to crush those who oppose you? Maybe my mind went to the worst case scenarios, but this is very disturbing. It is one thing that the times have changed, but another entirely if one is allowed to use necromancy unchecked as long as it isn't "too unregulated," whatever that means. Who decides that? A council? Local peers? Solely the ruling power?

-Gerard Elderweiss

I do want to inform you that the people who are berserked are not Undead they are living people and they have nothing to do with Necromancy and are not under the control of Ravensong it would be silly to attack ones own Citizens. The Duke has tasked me to find the cause that is berserking people, to keep the citizens safe and to stop it. From My understanding something is driving them berserked, and is causing them to attack indiscriminately.
-Keranna Cupbearer to his Grace

Back