Leather armor

Pokethulu

Fighter
Public Relations Committee
Hi everyone,
I am looking for leather armor that is well priced for my barbarian. She is Aztec/Mayan themed so it is kinda tough. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get some armor? I am open to any suggestions.
Thanks,
Amanda

small leather pieces sewn together like scale male but instead of overlapping the are side by side.

I'd say check out Ebay. Else you can also buy some scales from Tandy directly - they're finally selling leather scales - although they're a bit pricey:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/sear ... 3&kw=armor

Thing to remember when making barbarian armor though - You need to cover at least half of the area to get the points - so tattered barbarian armor that covers only two-thirds of your torso is still worth the full points AND looks very thrown together.

That is a tough one, if you're going for accurate mayan/aztec they rarely wore much in the way of armor, mostly ornate headress that served as helmets, some would wear, skins much like the animal their group identified with but that woudl be expensive to try and pull off.

If you just want a more basic barbarian kinda look with some aztec flair many craft stores sell little bags of leather scraps. Riviting or sweing those onto belts can create some pretty barberous armor, add in a headress and some feathers or faux fur and you can have some armor at a decent price that woudl capture some of the look you want.

watermark.php

La!

I would suggest getting a leopard print cotton body suit and adding a leather scale breastplate over that. You could cut the scales to resemble feathers or leopard roesettes, depending on whether you were going for Eagle Warrior or Jaguar Knight. Throw in a really cool animal headpiece helmet and a nice Macahuital boffer, a couple of javelins for oomph, and go to!

the easiest method to construct your armor is to create a base and then decorate the armor from there. I have a few suggestions. Armor...leather or not is especially difficult to construct specifically for the female form. However there are some tricks you can do for Leather.

Below is several pictures of the best way to handle a leather breast plate for woman without causing discomfort "upstairs"

Breastplate6.jpg

Breastplate3.jpg

Breastplate5.jpg

Breastplate1.jpg

Breastplate2.jpg

Now if your looking for matching leather greaves then I'd suggest learning a technique called
"Wet Forming" which is soaking leather until its like a heavy clay then you mold it into the shape you want. This will accomplish what your looking for in regards to any motiff your going after.

below is some Links and pictures of a very simple way of constructing leather greaves.

ok, so this is the basic template http://www.armourarchive.org/patterns/greave_cad/
the pictures below you can see how its since been modified and given some more flair.

also, keeping in mind if you choose to harden the leather either via water hardening or via wax hardening to make sure you have all your stuff done carving and the like.

Greeves2.jpg

Greeves3.jpg

Greaves7.jpg

Greaves2.jpg

Thanks so much guys, I was thinking of using some kinda of body suit eventually with leather armor over some body parts. Like leather greaves, bracers and a leather collar. FrankManiac thanks for the drawing, I think it will help! :D Any more helpful websites on leather working?

Amanda

Back