Libram Arcanus

JordarAd

I've been applying what I teach in my Calligraphy classes to create a spell book for my celestial caster - so far, I've only got a few pages done, but I'm using these nifty little glittery paint pens for the "Read Magic" text, and simple translations from Viking Runes to English. You can find them on my FB art page in the link below. I'll have more up periodically and will have individual pages available for Prints from me directly or through my Saatchi Art Page, saatchiart.com/jordancbrun

https://www.facebook.com/pg/ArtofJCB/photos/?tab=album&album_id=796816590490852

I welcome any criticisms and suggestions!

Binding Diagram copyright.jpg Circles of Evocation Summoned Force Command and Eldritch Force copyright.jpg Circles of Protection Enhancement and Binding copyright.jpg Disarm copyright.jpg Fortress copyright.jpg Light copyright.jpg Planar Web copyright.jpg Protectives copyright.jpg Shatter copyright.jpg Title Page copyright.jpg

Your art is fantastic! I love your page for the Protection school.

I had an artistic friend help me on making a spellbook. He would make the art and I would do the script. For the script, I used a mixture of vinescript (because my character is an Elf) and a Greek Cypher (since that is what Ritual Scrolls use). Since I am an engineer by trade I also had my friend use various mathematical concepts as inspiration (such as Mohr's Circle for a Circle of Power, Ohm's Law for Lightning Bolt, Rayleigh Scattering for Light, etc.) and he would use artistic license to "enhance" the concept graphically. Sadly, we only did about 10 pages before life consumed us so we couldn't finish the project.

I found that using the book with a Greek cypher makes teaching Read Magic much more engaging. On the surface it looks complex, but once you start getting used to the symbols, since they are a straight substitution for the Roman letters, people pick up on it pretty quickly giving the player/character the satisfaction of actually learning something without much time investment. It looks like your Futhark translations are similar in concept.

I guess a suggestion from me (more of 'this would tickle some science nerds') is if your spells included some scientific phenomena in addition to the mystical.

I can't wait to see your finished project. Are you planning to create a fully bound book?

Your art is fantastic! I love your page for the Protection school.

I can't wait to see your finished project. Are you planning to create a fully bound book?

Short answer: Yes. My current primary character is a Scribe and artist, and he sees his spellbook as an extension of his “art” - I have a bound book I’ll be adhering the pages to, including any ritual scrolls I accumulate over time.

Short answer: Yes. My current primary character is a Scribe and artist, and he sees his spellbook as an extension of his “art” - I have a bound book I’ll be adhering the pages to, including any ritual scrolls I accumulate over time.

As for diagrams of magic effects, yes, I plan on doing quite a few.

This is awesome! I'm also currently working on a similar book that's mostly about the IG theory/philosophy behind magic. It's still in it's infancy and will likely be very wordy but hopefully the art I plan to add will be able to keep up with yours!

Holy good golly want buy now!

Haha your work is incredible man! That's really inspiring!

More pages complete!

1 Stone Bolt copyright.jpg 2 Lightning Bolt copyright.jpg copyright.jpg Pyramid Collumn Diagram copyright.jpg

Bra-vo.

3 Bind copyright.jpg 3 Ice Bolt copyright.jpg

Attachments

• 3 Lesser Investment copyright.jpg
    3 Lesser Investment copyright.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 3 wall of force copyright.jpg
    3 wall of force copyright.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 6
These pages are beautiful! I especially enjoy the alchemical symbols and chakra points on the human figure. I use those often in ritual casting myself. Bravo.

Amanda

Back