Light (the spell, not in general)

A.mungo

Scout
Marshal
Atlanta Staff
So the spell *Light* in the new book states that it produces a glowing light *and* allows the person activating the effect to kindle a light wand. The light can then be used by anyone.

The part that I have a question about is the next paragraph that states the following

This will not work without a physical representation. You cannot cast a *Light* spell at a person or tree and have the person or tree glow. There must be a flashlight or other out-of-game light source provided.

Does this mean that if I have a light source on a lanyard or something else that is a OOG phys-rep of the light itself that I can make an in game person glow?

(Supporting information from under magic on pg.90, unless Eldritch power and Eldritch Force are intended to be two separate things
Eldritch Power: This is a type of energy that only affects beings that are alive or animated)

I believe that you are correct.
If you have a light stick on a lanyard & you hit someone with a Light spell, you would have to give them a light rep to put on.

Note, though, that you are making the light stick glow, not the person. It's perfectly reasonable for the recipient of such a light to pocket it and hide its effects.

Yeah, that wording is explicitly in there to prevent forcing people from not being able to hide in the dark. Someone tried that on an NPC I was playing a few events ago. They threw me a light stick, and I immediately stuffed it in my packet pocket.

Though if I remember correctly you can still paste of stickiness a light to someone correct? As long as it follows safety of course.. Obviously no charging someone in combat to smash a glow stick onto their chest =P

Vanyal Anarion said:
Though if I remember correctly you can still paste of stickiness a light to someone correct? As long as it follows safety of course.. Obviously no charging someone in combat to smash a glow stick onto their chest =P

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. A Light spell is just eldritch energy, the solid object is an oog rep. I don't see how a Paste could adhere to light all that well.

Draven said:
Vanyal Anarion said:

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. A Light spell is just eldritch energy, the solid object is an oog rep. I don't see how a Paste could adhere to light all that well.

Page 121: Bold by me. Light is basically cast on someone to blow a spell shield/reflect.

Light
s c
Eldritch Force 5 Days
This effect produces a glowing light and
allows the person activating the effect to kindle
a light wand.
The light can then be used by anyone.
This will not work without a physical representation.
You cannot cast a Light spell at a
person or tree and have the person or tree glow
There must be a flashlight or other out-of-game
light source provided.
If using a flashlight for this spell, the lens
of the flashlight must be covered by a cloth,
tissue paper or a gel to diffuse the light. Do not
shine the light in anyone’s face.
This spell (like all spells) will remove a
Spell Shield or Reflect Magic.

You couldn't do it with a Light, but you could do that with a liquid light. Since it takes 5 seconds to adhere, you'd have to incapacitate the target first, which usually defeats the purpose.

Back