Lightweight Clay

Gunnar

Squire
Hey guys,

I was wondering what recommendations were for super lightweight clay (lighter than sculpy) to make MWE horns with?

thanks,
Ali

Crayola's Model Magic is really good for making horns that will last a few events; just remember to seal them after painting. Also, I do not recommend using spirit gum to attach them; it tends to degrade the foam much more quickly than liquid latex or other adhesives. They're incredibly lightweight, though, and one package of foam is enough to make several sets of horns.

I've always favored horns made of playdough. They're relatively lightweight, easy to sculpt, and are damn near unbreakable. Mine are painted and sealed with nailpolish, and there are holes drilled for the string to go through at the base.

Crayola's air dry model magic is what I made Dan's horns out of. I have a few extra pairs I just made to use it up that are different sized than his. :!: If you're not allergic to latex, I highly recommend it as a way to go that doesn't involve tying them onto your head. Form them, let them dry, then you can carve if you want with a sharp exacto for a more bone look, or just paint them that way. Acrylic paint (like the craftsmart stuff from michael's) works very nicely, and when sealed doesn't bleed or run.

Back