Locks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cúangol

Artisan
I cannot find much on the current lock rules (I have ARB version 1.0), so maybe someone can help.

For example:
1) Does one need to pay IG coin to buy a lock?
2) What happens OOG when a lock is shattered (does a key need to be in the marshall notes for the room?)?
2b) Can a lock be strengthened via the blacksmith skill? What kinds of locks do you recommend getting?

Thanks!
Patrick

P.S: If these questions are chapter specific, I play at HQ and am hoping to also play more at Gettysburg.

1) No, a lock is not a tagged item.
2) The lock shouldn't ever actually be attached directly to what it is keeping shut. The example in the book is using a key ring between the lock and the latch so that it can be 'unwound' or a tag ring that can be popped open when the lock is picked/shattered. If the lock is actually part of the box/door/whatever, then including a key in the marshal notes wouldn't be a bad idea, but keep in mind that a Shatter or Destroy will blow up the whole box (but not the contents) which sets off any traps in the box (which might then blow up the contents).
2b) Not explicitly, though I've seen many chapters allow it.

~Matt,
SEA/OR Marshal

Oh, and I recommend those cheapo diary locks. Most of the IG work that goes into picking locks is done by the the legerdemain skill, not the actual player. These locks you can pick with a paperclip and always pass a marshal's check of "can it be picked." If you can't pick it, you can't use it. There are lots of locks that are disallowed (anything warded, MasterLocks, etc), but there's not really a list of what's good and bad. The idea is to provide a puzzle, not security.

These are all essentially accurate in Gettysburg except in regards to strengthening - our answer to that is that you need to find out IG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back