Logistics wait times

Chazz

Artisan
I pose the following question for all Logistics staff members in the Alliance:

What is the proper amount of time to wait for an update? Or even a confirmation of receipt of an update request?

I have worked logistics for several chapters. Pulling tags, doing updates and generally just trying to get people into game as fast and accurately as I can. I understand that we are here doing this as volunteers and that out of all the positions on any given staff that this is the one with the least amount of gratitude but yet requires the most detail oriented work. But it ain't rocket science. It doesn't take more than 10 minutes to do an update (provide you keep your DB 'relatively' clean and up to date) and it doesn't take half that time to send a reply saying the request was received.

Some chapters I have characters housed at will send me a confirmation immediately, as in they get their email on their phone and will reply saying it was recieved the moment they get it. Some chapters give me a once a month update even in the off-season and without a request. Personally, I think that may be a little extreme (although I am VERY thankful to those chapters) and that 1-3 days for confirmation and 5-7 for the udate is not unreasonable by any means.

So, what do you, Logisitics staff person being questioned, think is an acceptable amount of time that a customer should wait before expecting a reply to requests?

Warning, and I hate to put it buntly (no I don't), if you don not work on a logistics staff please do not reply. Its good to dream about what things "should" be like but I am more interested in what actual staff members think is reasonable and attainable level of service.

--Chazz

I try to get to it in a couple of days. If I'm busy it may take longer, but I don't like to make people wait longer than a week.

Chazz said:
I pose the following question for all Logistics staff members in the Alliance:

What is the proper amount of time to wait for an update? Or even a confirmation of receipt of an update request?

I have worked logistics for several chapters. Pulling tags, doing updates and generally just trying to get people into game as fast and accurately as I can. I understand that we are here doing this as volunteers and that out of all the positions on any given staff that this is the one with the least amount of gratitude but yet requires the most detail oriented work. But it ain't rocket science. It doesn't take more than 10 minutes to do an update (provide you keep your DB 'relatively' clean and up to date) and it doesn't take half that time to send a reply saying the request was received.

Some chapters I have characters housed at will send me a confirmation immediately, as in they get their email on their phone and will reply saying it was recieved the moment they get it. Some chapters give me a once a month update even in the off-season and without a request. Personally, I think that may be a little extreme (although I am VERY thankful to those chapters) and that 1-3 days for confirmation and 5-7 for the udate is not unreasonable by any means.

So, what do you, Logisitics staff person being questioned, think is an acceptable amount of time that a customer should wait before expecting a reply to requests?

Warning, and I hate to put it buntly (no I don't), if you don not work on a logistics staff please do not reply. Its good to dream about what things "should" be like but I am more interested in what actual staff members think is reasonable and attainable level of service.

--Chazz

Chazz,

I'm saying what I'm saying as both a database monkey, as well as the general manager for Alliance LARP Chicago, in addition to being a player. Alliance LARP is a business. Each chapter is a franchise of the national chapter. As such, each chapter should be treated as such, and that professionalism should be maintained by the logistics team. Part of running a business is responding to customers (players) in a timely manner. I personally believe that three days is more than adequate time to get back to a player, to at least acknowledge that the email has been received and a reply is forthcoming. This was a topic brought before the owners this past summer. If a chapter is not replying to your requests in a timely manner, the national chairperson (Renee Iovino) should be notified of the situation. Running a chapter in a way not befitting a business is not allowed, just as much as breaking treasure policy is allowed.

Just to give you a background on myself - I've run LARPs that have met on a weekly basis, with playerbases as large as 120 people per week in attendance. My working experience is very centered on customer service and sales, and that through exceptional customer service, one can grow a player base in huge amounts.

Robert Sachs
General Manager
Alliance LARP Chicago - "Where Customer Service Comes First"

Back