Longbows and short weapons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dar'nath

I am wondering if an archer has two weapons can they use a longbow and a short weapon or is it only useable the other way around?

Thank you

Per the ARB -

If an archer has the Two Weapon skill and is using a short bow, then they may use it with a Long weapon or with a one handed.

The ARB seems specific, so I'd actually disagree with Mike (otherwise, why would it say short, and not just bow?). So unless there's an ARC ruling elsewhere, I'm going to state you're limited to a short bow.

Upvote 0
I think you are reading too far into the rules. The line just before the one you quoted (pg. 83 ARB) is "The bow phys rep can be used for blocking defense with one hand." That implicitly defines it as a one-handed weapon for blocking. Since it has been defined as a one handed weapon and not a short weapon, the next line, the one you quoted, further clarifies that a short bow counts as a short weapon for the purpose of the Two Weapon skill. There is no other place in the book (except for the Two Weapon skill description) where a short bow is defined as a short weapon. So, without that clarification, a short bow would have to be paired with a short weapon when using Two Weapon skill.

The line you quotes specifically allows short bow / long weapon, but it does not disallow long bow / short weapon. The first line of the Archery section (pg. 83 ARB) specifies a bow "...is considered a Two Handed Weapon for attacking purposes." It doesn't say for all purposes. Between that and the previous line I quoted, it seems pretty clear that it counts as a One-Handed Weapon for blocking purposes. Thus, the rules don't need to explicitly call out long bow / short weapon because they already allow any one-handed weapon / short weapon.

-MS
HQ Marshal

Upvote 0
The previous version of the ARB specifically called the Bow (when there was no Long or Short types, check out ARB v1.1 page 84) as the Long weapon and may be used with a Short Weapon. My guess is the ARB v1.2 failed to keep that when it changed versions to add Short Bows.

However, with the rules as written in ARB v1.2 I agree with Evan. It calls out specifically that if you have the Two Weapon skill and are using a Short Bow that you may use a Long Weapon, first on page 68 under the description of Two Weapon and again on page 83 under the description of Bows. Therefore, I recommend an ARC clarification or owner announcement or whatever to verify that a Long Bow can indeed still be used with a Short Weapon.

I am sure this is just a mistake and that the intent was to keep Long Bow / Short Weapon combos, but since it isn't in the ARB (specifically editted out between v1.1 and v1.2) and there isn't an ARC clarification or announcement I don't think I can condone that style.

Seth Bird
SEA/ORE Marshal

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
A bow is a one-handed weapon for blocking.

The skill Two Weapons allows you to fight with one "short" weapon and any other one handed weapon.

Bows are not an exception to this. If you have a long bow in one hand, you may only use a short weapon in the other (or dagger-length). If you have a short bow in one hand, you can use any size weapon in the other. The call out of short bow and long weapon specifically is because short bows are new to the game as of the most recent major rules revision. That sentence does not exist in the most recent PDF version.

Upvote 0
Thanks, Ben.

Dan (and Mike) don't take our (initial) disagreement as personal. :) We on the WC interpret the ARB literally because we don't have the resource of the rules author pool so the ARB and ARC is all we have. If it isn't written down saying it is allowed we tend to err on the safe side and not allow it (when we're made aware.

We aren't naturally antagonistic. :D

Upvote 0
I know that, Seth. My frustration with regional rules interpretation differences is not directed at you or anyone out west, despite that it must surely seem so.

Also, for what it's worth, I made my post before Ben linked the ARC ruling. The time stamp even bears that out. I think that makes me seem a lot more irritated than I was; I was going for directness for clarity, not abruptness for dismissal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is no skin off my back. I'd just feel bad for any player anywhere who was prevented from using a rules legitimate style because of a misunderstanding. Especially given the fact that such a character would probably have build spent specifically for that style and the player would probably have spent real money to get the weapons for that character.

-MS
HQ Marshal

Edit: I found this a good exercise. The ARB explicitly allows this, but piecing together the various lines of the rules to prove that is not easy in the current edit.

Upvote 0
Thanks, Ben.

Dan (and Mike) don't take our (initial) disagreement as personal. :) We on the WC interpret the ARB literally because we don't have the resource of the rules author pool so the ARB and ARC is all we have. If it isn't written down saying it is allowed we tend to err on the safe side and not allow it (when we're made aware.

We aren't naturally antagonistic. :D

Please don't speak for all of the chapters on the West Coast without consulting all of the chapters on the West Coast first.

The distinction between long and short bow was specifically made to allow for the use of a short or long weapon in the other hand, as per the Two Weapons rules. Ergo, if you are using a long bow, you may use a short weapon, and vice verse.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure this thread can be locked now.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back