Look for inexpensive "magey" armor

wolfan

I'm looking to buy a piece of armor that is lightweight and suitable for a scholar type of character who may get himself into trouble...sometimes. :funny: But I'm trying to do this on the cheap, I am willing to pay and I will pay what the piece is worth, I just don't have a /huge/ budget.

If you can help me out (or think you might be able to) please drop me an email at wolfanotaku @ gmail.com

Thanks,
Vin

Vin, you might want to define in a dollar amount your definition of "inexpensive". Everyone's definition of that word is different. To one person it might mean $20 and to another it might mean $200. Setting a budget is never a bad idea when starting to shop for anything.

Scott

Also, It can't hurt to give a bit more flavor. What material? what size? Do you have a costuming theme?
Leather lamellar scale might work well for a mage torso. http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/stor ... 28-25.aspx

check this out. If it's outside of your price range you can always see about getting some scrap leather of a similar thickness and cutting your own. A little leather dye to meet your costume color scheme, and you'd have a nice peice for yourself.
The best part about Lam, is that you can buy some, lace it, and then next paycheck, buy more and lace THAT. It's an entirely modular experience. The more you do yourself, the cheaper it will be.

Frankly, I think leather on torso, and some bracers would be close, if not at, max armor for a scholar.

You can lace it while watching TV, Most folks use Leather lace, or Paracord, whichever's cheaper.
Here's a site with instructions, that also sells leather lames if you dig around. http://www.skaldic.com/lamellarlacing.htm

I might be able to help but your email did not post as a link and I am far to lazy to copy it to my gmail on my phone. Depending on what you want I may be able to offer you a fair price on a custom suit. I have gotten quite good at leather work and armor design and always need more to bolster my portfolio. PM me if you want to talk numbers and design.

Alright, fair enough, it seems I didn't give as much info as I could.

I'm probably looking to spend about $50-dollars, I know that that probably won't get me too much but I figured I'd search. I'm really hoping to not construct this my self since I just do not posses those kinds of manual skills.

I'm hoping it will be something non-metallic like leather or whatever, and I really don't have a costuming idea because I'm looking for something I could use in many different situations not just fit into this one costume.

I would be surprised if you can find armor that inexpensive. Even making armor, the supplies are going to run around that price. Unless someone is getting new armor and selling their current instead of trashing it, I doubt anything will come even close - a good in-period shirt will sell around 50$.

The best armor value for price is probably a ring-mesh shirt. It's 2-point metal, light, and no maintenance. It's probably not what your looking for though. To look good, you have to dedicate serious time and/or money. There are a lot of people on here that are full of advice for making costuming and armor, if you want to try to save some money and do the work yourself.

Good luck,

I doubt you can find much in the realm of leather armour for that price, but I couldn't say for certain.

I've done work with padded armour and chain maille before, and neither takes terrible skill to learn. Chain maille was definitely easier, particularly for people who aren't so crafty, but it takes a lot longer. It can also be very versitile, and how much you want to spend mostly depends on what degree of awesome you're looking for. If you get a large enough ring size, it doesn't even take that long. I use http://theringlord.com/.

Padded armour can also be fairly danged cool, although it could wind up being more costly if you aren't much of a sewing person. You can get pre-quilted fabric at places like Joann's, and either make your own pattern, find a free one online (there are some cool and easy ones floating around out there) or modify patterns from the store. Having someone else do it will make the costs increase quickly, unless you have some sewing friends who are willing to work for cheap (as an occasional seamstress myself, I recommend beer as a good form of payment, but make sure to pay AFTER the garment is complete...;D).

For chainmaille, buying everything from theringlord.com is a good way to go, but will still run you about $100 for the bare minimum...there is also a full-sleeved chain shirt (hauberk) for auction as part of the Traverse City oog auction...currently no bids on it last I checked. Will count as 3-point armor and should be a total of about 27 points, depending on your height. Also a full coif with mantle of the same material and quality.

Or you could hire me directly to make your chainmaille. My prices are materials+5% (add extra for difficult weaves or special designs woven into the pattern).

Worst case, you might just get some simple quick studs from Tandy Leather or the like, then go scrounging in the local thrift shop.

Studded leather vest/pants should at least give you a bit of protection without slowing you up much.

Back