Looking for input on a new Law

Willem Rivet

Artisan
Heya. I'm not the law here, or able to influence the law. I am, however, hoping to stop the confrontation we had last gathering from happening in the future, and I think we can try the angle of a new Law. This discourse is just to gather ideas so I can bring them before someone who legally matters and not waste their time by not having thought it through.

So I don't want to debate what happened, or who was right. Please please please keep that out of this discussion.

So Assault is defined as attacking someone, and Murder is the target either permanently dying or in the case of an Adventurering Spirit, Resurrection. There is no middle ground, and Avacyn rightly pointed out that is because usually it is one or the other. Knife a peasant, and they'll either die, or they won't. Adventurers are a different animal.

When it comes to adventurers, sometimes one will, as a gesture of intent "put one in the ground" or stab someone until they are dead, but before they dissipate either heal them, or through the actions of another interference will be had resulting in the adventurer stopping short of Resurrection. Under the Law, this is clearly Assault as written, but has a very different intent.

My idea is to create a middle ground between Assault and Murder called Attempted Murder. This would stipulate that the target had been Killing Blowed, Deathed, or was bleeding out but through some means avoided Resurrection. While an excellent remedy and argument for leniency could be made if the aggressor was the one who provided the healing or Life spell, it would not necessarily save them from charges levied.

What do you guys think?

-Joseph Smith

Master Joseph,

While I will need more time to think on this and give a complete answer- I had one thought straight away and it is based off what I had said at the gather and you mentioned here.

The one or the other - murder or assault. And you mentioned how adventures are different animal- you are correct. However we must be careful in asking an entire kingdom to add laws pertaining to adventures. That can become a dangerous precedence.

I will think more on this.

Yours In Service,
Cyn

Guild Mistress of the Earth Guild of Koroshi
Artifact of the Dragon's Claw
Founder of Forgotten Hope
Mother

"My Life For Theirs"
"Defending the Dealings of Time and Space"

Back