Lvl and exp question's

Ok so I looked at the leveling table and I am all kinds of confused. How is gaining lvls calculated? And what do you do with build points? What is the build cap?

Level and experience isn't too confusing once you get used to it.

Every character starts with 15 BP (Build points) These are spent to buy whatever skills you would like to have as per the Build table a bit farther in the book.

Every event you attend as an NPC or PC you gain XP equal to your build, so a new player at a one day event would gain 15 XP (as they have 15 build) that experience is then turned into build depending on your level, at level on its 3 XP per build, so you'd gain 5 build (to a total of 20) which you can then use to add skills to your character, perhaps picking up thrown weapons that they learned the last game, or a critical attack. As you go up in levels the additional build you gain per event day slowly goes down (hitting roughly 1 per event day around level 16)

"Levels" are purely an Out of Game measure of how big characters are, you level can be found by taking your build, minus 5, divided by 10 rounded down. We use levels when preparing for events to determine how big the monsters should/can be, as well as the amount of treasure that plot will put out.

A Build Cap is entirely differnt, and is usually for newer campaigns what a build cap is, is a restriction on how big of a character can be played at an event. This is done generally to help a new campaign build up their local base, as well as let the staff get better at running things, without having to stat/prepare for long played characters (not this is a character restriction, not a player restriction, and we have many travelers with 'alts' just for such situations) These caps are usually removed/opened up within a few years.

Ok that makes more sense but one last question I plan on npcing a few more games so since I won't use that bp its at 20 now(I think). It just doubles? So the next event it woult 40 and 3 xp/bp per day for the event?

It doesn't double, you get your current BP in XP, so the next game you'll (or the character you are taking the exp on if npcing) get 20 XP per day, our next event is a weekend event, or two days, so in your case that would be 40 XP total (20 bp times two days), then 15 of that would turn into 5 bp at 3 per, leaving 20, the next 10 build comes at 7 XP per, so of the 25 you have left, 21 of it will turn into 3 additional built at 7 per. So at the end of that event you'll have 28 build and 4 'floating XP' that will be turned into build once you have enough XP to get another build.

XP and Build are seperate numbers, and tracked differntly, but your logistics staff will keep tabs on your XP total for you. An easy way to estimate how much build per day you'll get is to take your build and divide it by the XP per build for your level.

The XP to build conversion is kinda overly complex luckily your friendly (or not friendly) logistics team keeps track of it for you.

Build and XP are seperately tracked. Each logistics period of an event represents one "blanket" (no Idea where the term came from but its what we use) which is your current build awarded as XP. So for a 2 day event as a 20 build character you would recieve 2 blankets worth 40 XP the first 15 of that is converted to 5 build to bring you to 25 build which is level 2 and the point where it takes 7 xp to gain a build. so 21 of the 25 remaining XP is converted at that rate giving 3 more build the remaining 4 XP is kept track of for your next event but has no bearing until you are again awarded your event blankets for another event. Leaving you at 28 build.

Its kinda hard to estimate how much build you get at hte lower levels because you have a fair chance of going up a level and build starting to "cost" more.

Alot of us prefer to just shoot an e-mail off to logistics a bit after an event to get our current build and see if we can afford what we want its easier for them since its coded into the character database.

thank god for alliancelarpohio.net/buildcalc.htm

Or I'd never figure it out. I tried to do it by hand once, in the car... I ended up making a paper airplane and throwing the paper out the window.

Lugo said:
Some of us have been doing this for years, and still dont quite get it.

I actually had someone sit down with me at the last event and for 30 minutes explained it and blanket XP to me. First time I understood it in 15 years - and I've probably already forgot it. :)

Sorry for Necro'ing this thread but I have a question.

Is there a build calculator out there that you can input where you currently are, input where you want to be and then the system can show you how many more event days you need until you reach there? It'd be cool that you could also choose to enter in a random amount of gobbies too but I think that that would add too much difficulty.

I know the Ohio build calculator can show you how many more XP you'll need but if it could show you that via events instead of XP, it'd help a bit more. ;)

That gets sticky, because it depends if you blanket your character (either gobby or Dragon blankets), and when the blanketing is done.

Is it at the end of the month, after the events are over? Is it at the start of the month, before you play?

Those can actually change the math a little.

Best thing I know of is use the Ohio build calculator and just count the number of times you click stuff till it gets to where you wanna be. Annoying, but it works.

While it can make a little difference whether you get 2 day or 3 day blankets before your monthly 1 day or so goblin blankets it doesn't make 100's of xp difference. So it would be pretty straitforward to make a calculator that just modulated 2 day and 1 day blankets, and they told you to total number of xp blankets nessisary before you lvl up or whatever.

To play the devil's advocate though... I just missed a build last event by 7xp, and hence didn't have Blacksmith. lol So it can make a small difference. But not overall like I said.

Ah well, seems the Build Calculator says it'll be another couple of years before I become a Master Trapsmith. Meh. Sort of sucks having the next available chapter 800 miles and half a day away.

markusdark said:
Ah well, seems the Build Calculator says it'll be another couple of years before I become a Master Trapsmith. Meh. Sort of sucks having the next available chapter 800 miles and half a day away.

Send donations over that 800 miles then blanket events with the gobbies!

Back