Magic Armor and Item Cosmetic Transformation

Azath

The Item Cosmetic Transformation Ritual allows "alterations which may [...] include such things as scribing new spells or writing in an otherwise Indestructible book, altering the shape and size of a weapon, shield, or suit of armor (within the limits of its type), or adding mundane upgrades to an item such as Silvering or Strengthening a weapon."

ARC has clarified that the target of an item [armor] ritual is "the tag, not the rep, that is the target, not the individual armor physreps," and so that tag cannot be freely changed to an armor tag of a different value.

Would changing the armor value of the tag that is a target of an item [armor] ritual fall under the alterations/mundane upgrades of Item Cosmetic Transformation, or could that only be accomplished with a Transfer Enchantment?

Last edited:
There’s not a way to change the armor value of a tag without it being a new tag.
I’d say that cosmetic alteration would cover changing a 20pt suit of armor from red to green, etc., but not changing a suit of armor from 5 pts to 60, or even 19 to 20.
I think the reference to size and shape of armor is referencing modifications that might be made to have the 20 pt suit fit one person vs another (as a 20 pt suit), not making an alteration to the base production value.

Upvote 0
From page 79 of the rulebook:
If needed, you may remove extra points from an Armor Tag by marking it down in order to use the tag -
but this change is permanent and the lost points may not be “regained” without purchaisng an entirely new armor tag.

You could use an item cosmetic transformation to decrease the size of the armor tag, but not increase it since there is not a way in the rules to increase the size of an armor tag.

Upvote 0
In modifying an Armor Tag down, would y'all personally reissue a new tag, or physically alter the previous one?

Upvote 0
In modifying an Armor Tag down, would y'all personally reissue a new tag, or physically alter the previous one?

Honestly, since tags are not standardized, I suspect the answer varies per chapter. The "old style" tags that were tear-off style, so that a 30 point suit of armor had 30 little boxes, I'd definitely just tear/cut off. If the tag was laminated, I'd probably destroy the old one and issue a replacement.

Upvote 0
Tags might not be standardized, but the mechanics behind them certainly are.

Let's take this inquiry to Marshal Discussion, my fellow marshals, and engage ARC if consensus cannot be reached. :)

Upvote 0
Back