Making a polearm questions

psycosword

So, I'm a little unclear on what makes something a polearm besides length.

I assume they can have thrusting tips. Is there any limit on the 'head' of the polearm? Could I make a giant scythe out of open cell foam and used that to get over/around shields?

I was thinking something like a naginata, and I'm guessing it might be 6 inches of open cell as a 'blade' that went over the closed cell around the core at the end?

Any advice/pitfalls I should know of?

Thanks!

To avoid sheering on headed weapons, I'll often cut a small indent out of both sides of the head and the core foam, then lay in a piece of camp mat. It provides more stability for the head without compromising safety. You just have to make sure that you still have a sufficient amount of open cell around the inlaid closed cell.

Dimensions for headed weapons are in the rulebook, right along with the swords and such. So, you pretty much have the right idea. As far as something like a scythe goes, whether they end up getting built legally or not, the heads always end up torn off by nature of the way the "blade" is attached. Just avoid it and save yourself the headache.

The naginata style polearm I built for SF's monster camp ended up getting destroyed from constant use... the NPCs loved it to death. :p

Dimensions for headed weapons are in the rulebook, right along with the swords and such. So, you pretty much have the right idea. As far as something like a scythe goes, whether they end up getting built legally or not, the heads always end up torn off by nature of the way the "blade" is attached. Just avoid it and save yourself the headache.

The naginata style polearm I built for SF's monster camp ended up getting destroyed from constant use... the NPCs loved it to death. :p

Heh, I'm making mine so I can use it while I NPC! How long was your 'blade'? A foot?

And just reread the portion on staffs not being allowed to thrust *adjusts measurements pre-cut!*

Staves no. But polearms can absolutely be thrust with. They're different weapons.

The "blade" was about a foot long, yeah. Came up above the end of the closed cell about 3" (cause I like a little extra when I build stuff that I know is going to be poking me.)

http://alliancelarp.com/photos18.php top right corner picture has a really good example of a headed weapon. Looks like a spear from the weapons comp in the picture, but that should give you a really good idea. I built the head on the naginata the same way... So it was all one piece with the closed-cell "core" placement cut out of the center of the open cell.

Staves no. But polearms can absolutely be thrust with. They're different weapons.

The "blade" was about a foot long, yeah. Came up above the end of the closed cell about 3" (cause I like a little extra when I build stuff that I know is going to be poking me.)

http://alliancelarp.com/photos18.php top right corner picture has a really good example of a headed weapon. Looks like a spear from the weapons comp in the picture, but that should give you a really good idea. I built the head on the naginata the same way... So it was all one piece with the closed-cell "core" placement cut out of the center of the open cell.

Thanks for the help so far! Last question, about how long did you make the grip? I'm looking at almost half (from a bit above the bottom end, to a little above the half way point. The book says most only go about a quarter of the length, but polearms were the exception.

I think I did about a third? Sorry, it's been like 5 or more years. I think I maxed it at the time according to the book.

Thanks for the help so far! Last question, about how long did you make the grip? I'm looking at almost half (from a bit above the bottom end, to a little above the half way point. The book says most only go about a quarter of the length, but polearms were the exception.

Here's an example, the polearm I just got done rebuilding for the event I just attended.

lKDhOMa.jpg

It's 2" longer than minimum, with ~1/3 of the length padded, because that's what gave me a comfortable grip length for my armspan (and was the length of a single tube of pipe foam).

Here's an example, the polearm I just got done rebuilding for the event I just attended.
It's 2" longer than minimum, with ~1/3 of the length padded, because that's what gave me a comfortable grip length for my armspan (and was the length of a single tube of pipe foam).

Ahh, so I made this staff today, 71.5" long (When I made a before I taped it together measurement, it was too close, so I cut off some of the core and made it shorter)
Core is 69.5"
Padding is 18" on each end, 12" in the center
Grips make up the difference, but would be about 23.5" in total between the two.
Also experimented with some colored thing foam for extra feathery biata design in the middle. (Hot glue'd in)

But this gives me enough to make the naginata!

Attachments

• BStaff.jpg
    BStaff.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 30
What's the core material on that staff? Also, per the current rules, that center padding is not explicitly required. It's a matter of personal taste, but I personally would leave it off to make the weapon more versatile in combat.

The biggest worry I find when designing a polearm is core material. Even using standard 3/4" PVC, the weight of an open cell head and all that additional tape can make them get excessively whippy really easily. The one above has ~4" of deflection under moderate pressure, well within safety standards but definitely easy to notice when fighting it. Carbon fiber cores are expensive, but absolutely worth it for making polearms, as they are both lighter and more stiff.

3/4" PVC. It has some wobble when it's done like that, but, since you've gotta hold it in the middle (by the grip areas), it effectively eliminates that problem. And, I've been looking at the carbon fiber stuff! This was just my first run (Since, it'll also be my first game next weekend), and trying out a whole bunch of things (and being an NPC) to find what I like.

Polearms can be very fun and functional. They also allow for a much longer range for parry/riposte.

Back