Multi-Aspect Spellbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandian Ravenscroft

Knight
Chicago Staff
Marshal
A friend asked me a question tonight, and I couldn't seem to find the answer anywhere, so I thought I'd check with others:

You can have a single spellbook rep that contains tags for both an Earth spellbook and a Celestial spellbook so you have one book with both schools of spells in it, correct?

I vaguely recall hearing you cannot for some reason, but we can't find any verbiage in the rulebook to suggest that, nor can I really justify why you could not have a dual-school book.

The closest direct answer to this is on page 88 of the ARB:

Spell Book tags are specific to each school
of magic and must be kept with your spell book
physical representation.

Following the standard of one tag per physrep, this would imply a different physrep for each tag.

Upvote 0
That's not necessarily always true. Multiple elixirs can be mixed into a single drink, for example, so it's not entirely unprecedented. It's a borderline call, and it's not really bad for the game. I can't envision a scenario where it really gives someone an unfair advantage; spellcrafting one Spirit Link instead of two is really the only benefit. Given that it's borderline and not a cheesy leg up move, I would allow it unless specifically told not to.

Upvote 0
Dan Nickname Beshers said:
That's not necessarily always true. Multiple elixirs can be mixed into a single drink, for example, so it's not entirely unprecedented.
Blade coatings on a weapon.
Magic item tag plus an armor tag.
Asset tag for a building and a Ward tag (though I guess now we're tagless on spells, but that used to be a thing).

There are plenty of times when "I've got 2 tags for one item" comes up. I know of several E/C books, and even a few E/C/Alchemy books. I don't see what real benefit requiring multiple physreps for tags that are used almost exclusively OOG at logistics would be. Anyways, multi-tag is common practice, and I don't see anywhere that makes it against the rules.

~Matt,
SEA/OR Marshal

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back