MWE head armor

Feldor

Adept
I play a mystic wood elf templar wearing mostly plate and chain, and am trying to figure out a head armor solution that lets my horns and ears show while still having at least the two point armor level. Anyone have any suggestions?

I've tried a chain coif, but it had the problem it slid around or off and it covered and/or removed my ears.
I've tried a leather cap, but it either didn't work well with the horns (needed to sit to low on my forehead) or fell off in combat (plan had been to add studs to it to get it to the 2 point level).

I can't be the only MWE to want head armor. So what have people found to work?

So, I wear my horns on a headband because I have ridiculously sensitive skin and having horns tied to my head the way most folks do would be a migraine trigger (the headband is bad enough) and adhesive isn't an option for me either, so have you thought about doing a dual set of horns? One attached to your headpiece/helm and then pop the other set back on when you're not wearing it?

Note, I have no idea how long you plan on wearing the head armor for during the course of the day or how long it takes you to put your horns on....

I've been using horns attached on a clear stretchy string, since any sort of skin based adhesive on them doesn't work for me owing to the fact that I sweat when fighting. So swapping them on and off is pretty quick and that could be an option. I do want to be careful that if I end up with some sort of horns mounted on helm, that I don't accidentally end up looking like one of those novelty viking helms...

I think ideally, I'd like something I could keep on most of the time for head armor, which is part of why I'm trying to keep it at the 2 point level.

Well technically the vikings never wore horns on their helms, so that wouldn't really be an issue unless your horns are giant and you mount them on the sides - then there's the worry of the american stereotype helmut.... But most of the sylvanborn in our chapter wear them more forward facing on their foreheads. I'm the only one with the headband and I tried to keep them more narrow on the top of skull. Most of us have smaller horns as well.

Plus depending on the type of helm you get, you could under mount them like they pierced through it making it more natural looking, like you had to force them through.

I put a collar around the neck of my chain coif to greatly reduce the sliding around. The ears would still be covered though.

13245345_10154093654495772_7830008118156417582_n.jpg

You could commission someone to make you a leather helm that will fit around your horns and ears. It would be a little pricey more than likely

See about finding a leather crafter in your area (check the Society for Creative Anachronisms) or ask around your local chapter. I did something similar for someone once and we made a duct tape helmet pattern of exactly what would work/look good and then transferred it to leather.

Back