MWE-specific Question About Race Change Ritual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durnic

Knight
Original discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17713

There is a question regarding the way that the required levels of Craftsman work for players race changing to a Mystic Wood Elf using the Race Change Ritual. It seems that the text of the scroll is not helpful in resolving this question and we would like ARC's ruling on it.

Quote from Alavatar:

Alavatar said:
What it does not address is what happens if you cannot afford the increased Build Point cost of a skill that happens to be a pre-requisite to other skills.

It also does not address the corner case of a character not meeting a minimum number of ranks of a skill required by the new race (i.e. going to MWE).

As a result of these discussions, without having gone to ARC for clarification, it seems the consensus is that the Spirit of the Rule for these two outliers is:

• The character must have enough free build to cover the increased cost of a skill that is a pre-requisite, or the ritual fails (.
  • The character must meet the minimum number of ranks of a skill required for the new race, or the ritual fails (i.e. must have 5 Craftsman skills when becoming a MWE).
I would add the following questions:

• Do the Craftsman skills, in this instance, function as racial skills even though they are not listed as racial skills in the rulebook but because they are required for the race change?
  • If someone has five levels of Craftsman as a human, race changes to MWE do they immediately gain back 5 BP that I can spend during the ritual on racial skills such as Resist Command?

This post is to inform you that your question is currently being discussed by the ARC and once some clarification has been made will be posted here. Depending on the level of clarification and discussion (and potential involvement of the Owners or other national staff, if needed) this may take time.

As with any Racial Transformation, sufficient build must be available for all racially required changes to skills.

In the case of a MWE, one of the racial requirements is one Craftsman skill per level up to fifth level, at -1 cost per purchase. Thus, if a character is Racially Transformed into a MWE, and they are above fifth level, and they have no Craftsman skills, and they do not have at least five free build, the ritual will fail just like a Human with Read/Write race changing to a High Orc and not having enough build, or any other situation where the Racial Transformation requires more build than the character has available.

A Racial Transformation to a MWE for a character with no Craftsman skills but at least five free build will succeed, but the character must immediately choose applicable skills as these are required racial skills for this race. Note that Craftsman skills (as well as Racial skills) are the only skills which do not require a Teacher card even without a Racial Transformation.

All other build allocation questions are answered within the text of the ritual scroll.

-Bryan Gregory
ARC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back