NERO Seattle Page Policy - discussion

Masticon said:
Is it to be understood that Advanced Pages can both throw as well as recieve packets?
Last I looked they still cant receve packets. If you want to dragons breath a page (either color) it is still Page, I call forth a dragon's breath. No packet is thrown, and no need to hit.

Doesn't that create a strange combat scenario?

If a page can throw packets 30+ ft, but you have to get within 5 ft of him to affect him?

Awwww, is Bawy afwaid of da wittle pages? :wiggle: :wiggle:

Hey wait, Xylex is still a page isn't he?

I think I'm scared of the pages! :eek:

Balryn said:
Doesn't that create a strange combat scenario?

If a page can throw packets 30+ ft, but you have to get within 5 ft of him to affect him?
Yep, it is a little strange, but most the pages I have seen cant make a good 30 foot shot, they have reduced body, and you dont have to hit them to effect them with spells/alchemy/weapons/ect (like waylay). So it seems to be a good trade off. In all the time that we have had packet pages I have had NO problem beating them down even when they had packets.

Personaly I like it much better than the old rules where a page could be killed or knocked out with nothing more than "Page a kill you." For some reason any pages with IG money were getting rolled all the time, by PCs.

The following adendums as of now need to be added to these rules -

1. Advanced pages can receive as well as throw packets
2. The headband colors in these rules are reversed. Orange is for advanced, Yellow for basic.

Solomon Maxondaerth said:
Awwww, is Bawy afwaid of da wittle pages? :wiggle: :wiggle:

Hey wait, Xylex is still a page isn't he?

I think I'm scared of the pages! :eek:
Well not really, but given my medical condition over the past six months... being Barry and opting to be a page could make a lethal combination. :laugh:

If not for Dave's change... I can nail things at 30+ feet... and with dodges and resists, I'd just make sure anything within a few paces gets punked. I'd have a five foot bubble of death, considering anything under ten feet is going to get zapped once or twice before they can tag me.

There are other more advanced players who could opt to take the page route for medical reasons.

Dave said:
The following adendums as of now need to be added to these rules -

1. Advanced pages can receive as well as throw packets
2. The headband colors in these rules are reversed. Orange is for advanced, Yellow for basic.

That's the clarification I've been looking for since the rules came out.

Thanks Dave.

I split off the discussion for clarity. The intention of the stickied post is to keep the local chapter policies and rules in a clear spot for reference. I've added a link to Marc's original post for quick reference.

Balryn said:
Well not really, but given my medical condition over the past six months... being Barry and opting to be a page could make a lethal combination. :laugh:

If not for Dave's change... I can nail things at 30+ feet... and with dodges and resists, I'd just make sure anything within a few paces gets punked. I'd have a five foot bubble of death, considering anything under ten feet is going to get zapped once or twice before they can tag me.

There are other more advanced players who could opt to take the page route for medical reasons.
You know, someone played a page, and had no age or medical reason for it, I suspect it would violate the spirit of the rules.

Kauss said:
You know, someone played a page, and had no age or medical reason for it, I suspect it would violate the spirit of the rules.
You know, with wording like:
Page Policy said:
Any player may participate as a page by his or her own choice.
It seems that that's not the case.

Difference between letter and spirit, there Barry. If someone were to abuse the page rules to gain an advantage that would be a violation of the spirit surrounding those rules.

I seriously doubt someone could abuse the page rules as they stand. I read barry's statements as hyperbole. Sure, an experienced player could probably do alright as a page, but so long as those who can throw packets can be hit by them and those who can't throw can't, it's pretty balanced and hard to twink.
I do think that they're much better then the alternative, in any case.

Dave said:
Difference between letter and spirit, there Barry. If someone were to abuse the page rules to gain an advantage that would be a violation of the spirit surrounding those rules.
If a player is allowed to play a page (for whatever reason), especially with the wording as is (Any player may participate as a page by his or her own choice.)

I wouldn't call it a violation of spirit. They'd be playing by a different type of handicap, I'm not going to tell someone else how to play the game. Why would I say it is a violation of the spirit that the player plays within the rules and to his best ability?

I have at times, seen MANY experienced players who have a variety of reasons to use page rules. My brother Daryl is a perfect example. As is any player who sprains an ankle, has allergies, or has asthma. I've seen a lot of exhausted players who should voluntarilly 'page down'tm (like when Shane passed out during a fight)

Again, I'm not going to even go so far as saying what would define a medical condition (if such a clause was in the policy) because I've seen people whine and cry over a pin-prick, and on the other hand I've seen people like JP cut his head off and still call 'game on' (Likewise, I remember this barbecue incident where I was willing to 'game on')

I've seen some experienced players default to page status for costume reasons, either they lacked a specific amount of mobility or they were wearing a really nice costume that they didn't want to roll in the mud with. If the option exist, why would it be a violation of spirit?

Balryn said:
If a player is allowed to play a page (for whatever reason), especially with the wording as is (Any player may participate as a page by his or her own choice.)

I wouldn't call it a violation of spirit. They'd be playing by a different type of handicap, I'm not going to tell someone else how to play the game. Why would I say it is a violation of the spirit that the player plays within the rules and to his best ability?
Let me put it this way. If you decide to be a page just for a combat advantage its a violation of the spirit.
If you lie to plot and say your injured but actally just want an advantage from playing a page, its a violation.
The page rules are, from what I can tell, intended to let underage players play more safely, and allow people who have some need to not be in full combat (Medical is the most common reason) to be at a lower level of combat. In no way are they intended for people to try and get an advantage in combat over their fellow players.

Barry, I think you can agree that there is a difference between someone "paging down" (cute term) for the purpose of taking it easy (whatever the underlying reason), and someone doing so in order to be able to throw packets and not have packets thrown at them. As the system stands, with advanced pages being able to have packets thrown at them (and you do certainly make a good arguement for why they should be), the system is pretty equal to both the page and the person attacking the page.

I do agree that staff should not walk down the road of determining who has a legitimate medical reason and who does not, which is why the policy was written to allow anyone to participate as a page if they desire.

I believe that if someone were to page and it was found that they gained an unbalancing advantage from it (as opposed to the advantage of not being physically hit), that further measures need to be taken. I have not, however, seen such an instance occur.

An interesting thought that came to mind is what to do if someone wants to play as a page, but their character has a weapon spirit-linked or locked to them.... we'll need to figure something out. Not something that has come up yet, but it might, and I'm always for having a rule in place than having to make one up on the fly.

I do agree with people abusing rules/policies, which is why I act like the devil when reading things. In many instances, I'd prefer not to see pages at all. But I also understand the need for pages to involve people who wouldn't normally be able to participate. In the end though, I always prefer obvious flaws corrected in a policy or rule before they become an issue.

jpariury said:
An interesting thought that came to mind is what to do if someone wants to play as a page, but their character has a weapon spirit-linked or locked to them.... we'll need to figure something out. Not something that has come up yet, but it might, and I'm always for having a rule in place than having to make one up on the fly.
I'd actually move this one up, since I was fairly close to using page status if my med stuff was keeping me out any longer, and I know Daryl should probably page (if he plays at events) until his back condition is better. Oddly it seems strange that someone like JP or myself hasn't lopped off a limb playing NERO doing some of the stunts we have.

No limbs, but one severe sets of bruises from a certain bar-b-que I remember a while back (still wince when I think of that one, Barry).

I think we all agree that no one should want/be allowed to page for twinky purposes, but then again I'd pit my packet-fu skills against just about anyone else's pocket defenses any day since they'd have to take everything I call once I get in range.

Back