New entirely to LARP...

Simza

Hello, all!

I am brand new to the concept of LARP, but am not new to role playing as a whole. I am 16, female, and live in the Chicago-land area. I was wondering if someone could break down what I should go about doing as far as getting into the world of LARP!

Thanks for all the help!

Howdy!

I'd say the first thing you should figure out what LARP is right for you, both in terms of genre and play style. The Alliance LARP (us), for instance, is a medieval(ish) fantasy LARP that uses padded weapons and small bean bags to deliver weapon blows and magical effects, and running around in the woods, often in the dark. Our events are typically Friday night through Sunday afternoon, and players are more or less expected to remain in-character for the entire time, even when sleeping. If none of that sounds appealing (maybe you prefer sci-fi, or don't cotton to actually striking people with padded weapons), this one likely isn't for you (though there are other LARPs that might suit you better). If, on the other hand, that sort of thing sounds right up your alley, then your imagination has definitely found a home. :)

The first thing I think anyone looking to play should do is buy a rulebook. You can get it as a downloadable electronic version here for under seven bucks, and peruse through it. You can also purchase a hardcopy through our site. The rulebook has a good introduction to what a game might be like, tips on costuming and designing your character, as well as the nuts and bolts of how to play. Mike V (the owner of the whole shebang) has even posted up some sample pages in this post.

Once you've given that a looksy, you should hit up the Chicago chapter's out-of-game board and introduce yourself. Paul (the chapter owner) and his crew can give you details more specific to your area, both out-of-game (where they play, directions, their event/game day/practice schedules) and in-game (what is the name of the land that they play in, who's who, what kind of baddies to be on the look out for, etc.).

After all that, feel free to ask questions here, in Chicago's boards, or where ever else it might be suitable! Welcome aboard!

-JP

Thanks, JP, that helps a ton. I got a copy of the rule book. The medieval style that you described is exactly what I am looking for!

Admins,

Could one of ya'll be so kind as to sticky this? That was easily the best overview I've read. Ever.

Stephen Duetzmann
Chair
Alliance Publicity Committee

I'll see if I can snip out the generic bit and sticky it - I want to leave this thread intact, while making sure JP gets credit. :)

Or if JP would be kind enough to start a new topic with the first two paragraphs I can sticky that.

Beautiful.

Thank you JP and Michelle.

That's awesome.

Stephen
Chair
National Alliance Publicity Committee

Back