New Player Caladonia Pantheon Question and Scholar Weapon Choice.

Aaron_S

Hello everyone,

I'm a new player and currently working on my first character's background story (Huzzah!). My familiarity with role playing is based in Dungeons and Dragons (4th ed. most recently), where there is a pantheon of deities representing the various alignments in the game.

I would like to give my character a hint of religious flare to flesh him out. Is there a pantheon in Caladonia? If not, is there a problem with doing this? Out of game people generally have a faith (if religious) and a profession (gotta pay the mortgage somehow). I would like my in game character to be a member of a faith group of my own imagining (generally pro sun and life and against darkness and death) and also be a member of the Earth Weavers. Any reason I can't (or shouldn't) do this?

Since I've never wielded a padded weapon before, practically speaking, can a person effectively defend themself in melee with a small weapon? In my mind I visualize a staff being better suited to the task.

Looking forward to my first LARP experience!

Aaron.

welp. We can nip that in the bud. Alliance has no religion. There are no religious symbols, pantheons, cults etc. allowed in our game. Other than that, yes joining up with the EW is a great avenue for a new scholar. ;)

Staff is one of the best "bang for your buck" skills for a Scholar. You have a bit of reach, can block with a single hand on the weapon (allowing you to cast) and it is an overall good choice for the build points.

Thanks for the info, Corey.

I've got another one for you. If my character was compelled to sing from time to time, would it be considered inappropriate to sing songs in-game that follow the vocals of recognizable music from out of game but the words would be different? For example, sing the notes of Greensleeves, but by changing tempo and words, it would be unique, but would be familiar to the ear to those who recognize the tune. If not, I'll write new stuff if necessary. :)

Should I be posting these questions under forums/rules/new player questions? Just found that forum. I'm guessing yes.

Last edited:
Sing whatever song you want. Hell, sing "Greeensleeves" it's period or sort of. Just refrain from songs with modern references and don't make electric guitar noises. Added that last bit as a pet peeve

To alter the words/content of a song but keep the same tune was done all the time by bards throughout history- by it meant you could "write something new" that everyone already knew how to sing along to at the inns and taverns. With modern copyright laws you barely see this done today, and mostly it falls into various fandoms who often write parodies (also known as filks, or filking.) The only really modern example of filking that I can think of is Weird Al Yankovic.

Back