New Wingnight and After event venues?

Danny

There was some talk last night about changing where we go for wings and Sunday sushi (our normal after event Sunday place is closing), does anyone have any suggestions about new places?

The only thing we need to remember is when we have 12 people "sign up" on FB to say they are coming and then 20+ show up, no matter where you go there will be problems. I was actually thinking that we should split up the tables into smaller "groups" if that happens. The tables end up segregated anyway unless you feel like you want to shout all the way across the room.

Next week I will call ahead and reserve some tables (outside the kareoke section!) for whomever signs up on FB. And if you are bringing a freind, you need to let us know as well so we can get an accurate count.

I was thiinking that too about separating the tables. Could have fit more people at fewer tables if we hadn't merged them.

I'm not sure I fully understand their reluctance to give us the tables, though (not upset, just not understanding). Weather 20 people come as a group or as individuals, they're still going to need tables - and this is 20 paying customers that they might not have had otherwise? (And I chose to tip VERY well for their inconvenience.) We averaged 4-5 people per table and there were tables with only 2 people at them (which, granted, is presumably a 'date' and therefore they needed more privacy). It's also not like we stayed al night. It feels like they are potentially turning away a LOT of business by their resistance.

I can completely understand their hesitance. With large groups 1- their computer system is set up for tables of 6-7 max. So they have to break it up. Then they also have to worry about everyone wanting seperate cheques and then they have to worry that everyone pays and doesn't "skip out". There is a big difference between having 3-4 tables of 6 people and one "mamoth" table of 20.

Like I said, I'll go talk to the manager and see what arrangements we can make, BUT people MUST let us know they are coming (and if they are bringing a guest).

Now as for the topic of after game chow.

The main reason I like to schedule supper later after an event is simple: I'm the last person to leave the site. Gwen and I don't even get out of the site until at least 2:30pm or later (last game was 3 pm as we did a "walk through" of the ENTIRE SITE. Luckily, Bob has a little tractor, but we literally drove everywhere to ensure clean up was done properly. There were a few things that had to be "fixed" but they were minor and quick. Then I have to deal with the finances etc.

After that I need to drive my truck and trailer back into town. I'm not a fan of the idea of hitting a parking lot with that trailer in tow. I have a lot of gear that needs to be unpacked back at the store once I get there. Then there is all the stuff we have to unpack at the house (we carry a ton of NPC costumes and laundry that cannot just sit in the back of the truck).

I am a fan of buffet sytle eating when in large groups. The price is pretty much the same for everyone, and people can just go at their leisure and we do not have to wait overly long for drinks. If anyone has some buffet suggestions, I'm all ears. If there is one in Calgary that is not just chinese food that would be grand.

The Taj Mahal Indian Buffet.

mythic said:
I can completely understand their hesitance...

Thanks for that. I honestly wanted to know what the counter-arguments and worries were. I think the serving staff handled it as well as could be expected (having orders done by name - there was no problems when I was ready to pay).

Like I said, I'll go talk to the manager and see what arrangements we can make, BUT people MUST let us know they are coming (and if they are bringing a guest).
Yup, since we're going to be there regularly on Wednesday after you close your store, there's probably an arrangement that can be made. If we're 'regulars' they'll be less worried about the 'skipping out' portion.

I am a fan of buffet sytle eating when in large groups. The price is pretty much the same for everyone, and people can just go at their leisure and we do not have to wait overly long for drinks. If anyone has some buffet suggestions, I'm all ears. If there is one in Calgary that is not just chinese food that would be grand.

Asian Buffet in the SW is a mix of oriental stuff - you can even get a mongolian style grill thing fresh to order where you pick your stuff and the staff chops & heats it on the grill (IDK much about it, since I didn't do that). I don't know if that fits your criteria of 'not just chinese food' or not, because a lot of the menu items are very basic Chinese (or at least the ones I fancy, anyways). I do remember they have calimari. Also lots of fruit on the buffet, and lots of different types of desert.

OOH alternatively, there's an Indian buffet. Selection was a little sparce (not very diverse) but VERY good. My ex took me there for my birthday a few years ago, I've been wanting to to back. Place is called Surahi, it's on Macleod very close to the Co-Op south of Heritage (tucked in behind the Swish Chalet, IIRC - I walk by it so often as I live a block away that I have a 'blind spot' to it.). The Naan bread was so good we ordered a 2nd batch (the first is free, the 2nd costs a little, but it was fresh to order - Naan bread is SOO GOOD when made the traditional way and fresh! But I don't eat Indian very often so I might be easily impressed.)

The staff (actually, there was only 1 waitress the day I went - wasn't super busy) was super friendly and knowledgeable. Lets just say this was my best birthday ever ^-^, but I don't usually celebrate them out so that's not saying a whole lot.

OH, but IIRC it's only a buffet during lunch - I think by the time we arrive they'll be in dinner proper, so maybe that won't work out so well?

Back