Newbie Sword Build

Bigens73

Artisan
Tried to make a two handed sword would love some feed back and if anyone who is a rules Marshal lives near Brooklyn Park and could take a look at it before the event in Feb that would be great.

Attachments

• IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 93
It did not pass Inspection. I had a few places where the super glue hardened on the contacting surface and I had used Fiber glass driveway markers so it was far to whippy.

You can buy weapon cores from here - http://www.warlordsports.com/weapon-cores. There are other places that people buy from as well like Into the Wind. Either buy the .602 or the fiberglass polearm cores.

If you have a Taps Plastic near you, you can buy carbon fiber tubes and spray glue adhesive. No need to use super glue. And you might want to reduce the size of the padded pommel there, no reason for it to be so large.

I had weighted the pommel so I wanted to make sure I had enough padding to cover it.

Don't use superglue. 770 spray adhesive by 3M, Barge or Dap (red can) will give you a much better adhesion. And for Dap, less is more.
I use TAP plastics or Goodwinds extruded fiberglass rod cores. For one handers, 0.25" are good. For two handers, 0.75".

Not sure why you needed a weighted pommel of that size for that size of blade. Maybe youtube a few videos of larp sword making and see how other people do it.

Just the silver part is weighted the brown part is all open cell foam. Wanted to make sure it was safe. I did that's where I found this design, I just didn't execute well. maid an pvc and pipe insolat0r one after this and it passed.

The only truly balenceed sword I've ever seen was a complex design of PVC and kitespar but it have no idea how it was built. Actually making a weighted sword is extremely hard so instead many people (including myself) simply try to make the lightest sword that they can. In that regard kitespar or epoxy tubing is usually your best bet along with appropriate diameter pipe insulation.

I've built several balanced PVC weapons with various lengths of lag bolts epoxied into the core at the butt end. They're honestly a lot easier to fight than hyper-light weapons to me, because most of trying to get good combat speed out of an ultralight twohander is fighting wind resistance. :D

Much happier with my latex two-hander these days.

Back