Obliterate/Choose Flaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draven

Count
Could I cast an Obliterate to put a flaw on someone's spirit, since it has no duration?

If so, could the following scenario occur?

Jimmy Jonesing is a Hobling with a CSS (bottle present), and is paralyzed with an extend battle magic. He also has an Arcanr Armor.

I obliterate him, and Choose Flaw "Cannot be used by Hoblings."

What happens to his spirit?

obcidian_bandit said:
No. Obliterate does have a duration, it is Instantaneous.
You could still flaw him with that with another ritual. The result would follow that of this ARC clarification (the rituals would cease to function).

Matt,
SEA/OR Marshal

I disagree. Sort of.

Draven said:
Could I cast an Obliterate to put a flaw on someone's spirit, since it has no duration?

Depends on the circumstances. If the target has pre-existing rituals on their spirit that will continue to exist after the ritual succeeds, then yes. If there are no pre-existing rituals or no rituals will exist on the target after the rituals succeeds, then no.

Draven said:
If so, could the following scenario occur?

Jimmy Jonesing is a Hobling with a CSS (bottle present), and is paralyzed with an extend battle magic. He also has an Arcanr Armor.

I obliterate him, and Choose Flaw "Cannot be used by Hoblings."

What happens to his spirit?

Given that flaws apply to items, not specific rituals (ARB v1.2 page 138), I believe the scenario outlined above (guy with pre-existing rituals on spirit is targeted with a spirit-targeting ritual with a manipulation that flaws the item) per this ARC clarification (as long as the rituals exist) would result in a flaw.

Per the scenario outlined above, since the Spirit is flawed to not be useable by Hoblings, the person would not use their CSS because they are not the right race to make use of the ritual (since resurrection takes place after the Obliterate succeeds) so they would proceed to an Earth Circle and resurrect per normal resurrection rules. The Extend Battle Magic paralysis would no longer be there since paralysis (and other Battle Magic effects) are removed on death.

If the spirit being targeted by the Obliterate did not have any pre-existing rituals then I would agree with you, Matt.

Seth,
SEA/OR Marshal

P.S. Flawing a Spirit to be "not useable by" or "only useable by" starts to muddy a lot of water, though. What happens if that character is targeted by a Spirit-targeting effect (such as Banish or Transform to Undead) that is cast by a race not allowed by the flaw? Since they can't use their race are the effectively CSS'd without the regenerate abilities? etc., etc.

Upvote 0
I should have clarified my original question with "Assuming my target has other rituals on his person, could I cast an Oblit with Choose Flaw."

Upvote 0
To put it succinctly: Currently, there is nothing in the ruleset to prohibit puting a flaw of any type on an Obliterate. Afaik, the only thing you can't do to manipulate an Oblterate is Quicken it (unrefuseable rituals cannot be Quickened.)

That being said, the plot team always has the right to make any part of a ritual casting succeed or fail, at it's discretion.

Upvote 0
If the debaters would like to continue, please do so in the Rules Theory or Rules Discussion forums, whichever suits the direction of the discussion.

- :zonks:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back