Obsidian Kinship Dark Elves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dom

Scout
As a member of the Obsidian kinship of Crossroads Dark Elves (and I think the only one). I've noticed that the travelers guide is very vague when it comes to exactly what the job of the Obsidian kinship is. Quartz family are the celestial casters, Tigers Eye are the warriors, Jasper are the diplomats, and Jade are the earth casters. They hold council with Shadow and handle any issues concerning the Light Well. So in their society, what does that make them? Does that make the Obsidian like the "spiritual" group so to speak? Or are they sort of the Wijdan police? What kind of issues would arise that concern the Light Well? How would the Obsidian family "handle" it? Russian secret police style or or diplomatic scientific approach style?

A lot of questions, I know. It's just, when Will's DE who is not from Kosmara asked, it made it difficult to answer some of his questions because I, myself, did not know the answers.

Or if this is free to interpretation, I'm just curious what some other people would have come up with. I know there was a combined effort when writing this race packet between Lauren, Mike and Tammy. If any of them could chime in with the correct information on this I would love to learn more about it. I really enjoyed playing my Dark Elf and could totally get into the story and history behind them. The more I know about them the better I could accurately represent them.

I've no real in game experience to speak of, but I just read through the whole traveler's guide, and yeah, I came across the same sort of confusion about this ambiguous part. It's part of what deterred me from having my DE be Obsidian kinship, but what I got from it was that they seem to be a microcosm sort of council within DE society in Prashant. Since Shadow holds immense sway/respect/authority from the DEs and the Light Well even more so, they seem like they would be the liaison between Shadow and their society, while ensuring the safety and protection of the Light Well. What I imagined from reading the Obsidian kinship blurb was more like a kind of protective order surrounding the Light Well -- a secret society deal without being secret.

But at the same time I don't know **** about what has been played or said IG, so that's just my interpretation of what I read. :roll:

Yea, I'm pretty sure there has been no dark elf plot so to speak to back any of this or sway it any which way. I know this is getting into some serious meta gaming but I'm just wondering what the thoughts were behind it while it was being written.

The "secret society" idea is pretty strong and makes sense though

I have a similar view of it - a society dedicated to protecting the light well, maybe not secret, but not very much talked about.

I know that, IG, when my DE heard you were Obsidian Kinship, she reacted internally with a significant amount of respect, and aimed to keep you well protected. She also expected you to be a bit more capable of coming through tricky situations, or successfully pulling off rogue-ing. But that's my interpretation.

Shadow saved the Wijdan from certain death at the hands of an enemy that otherwise would have been nearly impossible to predict, and the Obsidian Kinship was literally the eyes of the people. They, in my opinion, were the ones with enough understanding and foresight to correctly use the seemingly strange gift that Shadow gave them: basically a scrying bowl, not as obvious all the other gifts. If it hadn't been used the way it was (in conjunction with Jasper's), the war would have been lost.

They will also be the family, should Shadow ever be called forth again, that the Empress will probably have the current Yamba of at her side (along with the Mistress of the Guard).

The family probably has a wide range of skills, still with the basic education that all DEs get: history, the skill Read/Write (if you don't have it, the elves that you associate with should be questioning how you got out of Prashant as an illiterate, and why your family ignored your education so grievously), and if not the actual purchased skills for celestial or healing magic, an understanding of those skills and the values they hold. I would hazard a guess that a number of Obsidian children probably foster with another of the Royal Families, or going to study with the Manjeet or Houshmand if they better serve to educate in whatever path the child is suited for.

If you want more depth, you can always talk with the plot folks (probably after the Haunted House, most of them will be pretty busy with that), and they might be able to expand more (or if you have ideas, help them to expand it!).

Kate - was I not roguey enough? :)

Lauren - Thank you, that actually clarified quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back