Of Resurrection in The Grimere Expanse: Accounts of Native-born Rathfallians becoming Unbound

Before you is a primly printed Open Account titled “Of Resurrection in The Grimere Expanse” authored by the novice thaumaturgical researcher, Housemother Adlao. She writes from Riftgaurd, in Rathfalll, and the return address is listed as a Mistweaver medical ward in that district. The ivory parchment of the document appears to be of sturdy quality, made from pressed plant fibers. Those familiar with the Housemother’s handwriting notice, however, that her usual flowing script is shaky, as if penned by an unsteady hand. At times, the rows of sentences wander slightly askew, and the weight of the black archival ink fades in and out, perhaps indicating that the pressure applied to the quill must have been strained over the course of her writing. Nevertheless, every "I" is dotted with a star, and every "T" is crossed with a familiar, gentle curl:

Of Resurrection in The Grimere Expanse

Mistweaver Reggie and Adventurer Klack should be celebrated in history as the first Spirits strong enough to experience True Resurrection in the Grimere Expanse in centuries. I had the honour of serving both of them in performing the rite as their spiritual doula, and would like to openly share my documentation of their Rising for posterity and further study. Below are bulleted notes for any researcher to review. I would be happy to answer any questions if I am able, or make any corrections to errors or misunderstandings in the accounts below.

I am also eager to compare my notes to those of her excellency, Lady Asher, and others who have been studying the Fae Courts of the Grimere Expanse, specifically the Court of the Empty Chalice. I hope my notes will be of use in furthering our understanding of why resurrection is so rare among natives of this Mistsphere.

Mistweaver Reggie:
  • Date of Resurrection: Saturnasday of the Market at Mess Hall M near defunct Mistweaver Lab 398.
  • Mistweaver Reggie was a human native to Rathfall; to our knowledge, he has neither passed through the Mists, nor has he been touched by them, and has no other extraordinary traits other than his magus training as a Mistweaver.
  • Reggie was slain the morning of Saturnasday around 9 bells by the wayward fey entity Lantern Jack, and his spirit was drawn into the Lantern shaped Spirit Jar atop his weapon.
    • Upon the Lantern bursting Saturnas evening and the spirits contained being set free by the adventurers who defeated Lantern Jack, Reggie wandered for some time before being drawn to the presence of his forlorn fiance.
    • His spirit was then able to pass through the Eye of the World and manifested in the Greater Earth Circle present in Mess Hall M around 20 bells in the evening.
  • The Brothers, Rolig and Livredande, and I noticed a spirit waiting in the circle near his weeping fiance. Rolig and I were able to initiate the Rite of Resurrection for him.
  • Reggie appeared as most adventuring spirits do during the Ritual: incorporeal, without any equipment, able to understand what was being told to them, but unable to speak.
    • It would be noted that they were in fact fully clothed, though we did procure the ceremonial Resurrection Drape as a comfort to them while materializing.
  • After successfully reforming his body, Reggie did not report seeing anything strange (by our mistwalking standards) during his journey through the Eye of the Earth- no visions or voices, or anything resembling what Unbounded have experienced elsewhere, for example, the Taunts hurled at Spirits by the Five Fingers in Gavaria.
    • His spirit was in fact weakened after returning to life, but no more or less than any spirit would have in either Prademar or Gavaria.
  • There were no extraneous material conditions remarkable enough to note that might have precipitated or affected this phenomenon occurring:
    • Weather: clear sky, chill evening, moderate winds, no precipitation or fog.
    • Astrology: no passing comets, eclipsing celestial bodies, or transiting alignments.
    • Environment: Mess Hall M was largely empty- the only novelty was the presence of his bereaved fiance, Jennie, which leads me to hypothesize that it was, in fact, Love that allowed Reggie to pass through the Circle and Rise from the Dead.
Adventurer Klack:
  • Date of Resurrection: Saturnasday of the Concord Ball.
  • Klack is an Orc who identifies as male and is also native to Rathfall. He also has not traveled the Mists.
  • Both Klack and I were afflicted by the Greater Curse of Transformation forcefully bestowed upon us by the Ocular Mother Aberration during the battle against her in the ruins of Lab 398.
    • Since that Market, Klack suffered various symptoms which included increased irritability, and a dark bruising and cystic growth around his right eye.
      • The affected tissue appeared to be mottled hues of purples, greenish ocre, and black.
      • I, for some reason, did not suffer any symptoms until much, much later after the Concord Ball was over late Saturnas evening; even then, only my right eye was faintly discolored, and the progress of the curse has been much slower.
    • Our diagnosis was confirmed via Celestial Circle by Guildmaster DeSylvia, but no treatment could be discovered by the Unbounded Community.
  • Saturnas morning of Concord Ball, Guidlmaster DeSylvia suggested we look into our illness before the Feast later that evening. There were no Rathfallian Celestialist available to examine us, so he suggested we try some treatments of our own devising, which I will document elsewhere. Needless to say, they were not successful in wholly expelling the Blight’s Influence from our bodies or spirits.
  • Around 10 bells, Klack experienced a terrible pain in his right eye, and a creature explosively emerged from his head, tragically killing him in the process.
  • Passage through the Circle freed him in his new body from a specific instance of influence by the Blight. Though his old body was sadly destroyed by the parturition of the newborn Floating Eye Creature, the Greater Curse did not follow him into his new body.
  • Similar to his counterpart Reggie, Klack did not have any experiences outside of the norm for passing through The Womb of the World, aside from the fact that he is The Second native of the Grimere Expanse and The First mist-touched Rathfallian to Rise from the Dead.
  • It is not clear if either Reggie or Klack have the same amount of Spiritual strength as other Unbounded.
To my knowledge, both are in good health in their new bodies. It is my hope they continue to remain healthy, and need not pass through the Circle again in the future.

May the Way be lit for all of us,
Housemother Adlao- HM

Updates to original article:
- Klack's name was misspelled- corrected
- Klack was reported as having traversed the Mists- corrected

Towards the end of her signature, the woman’s script trails weakly off the edge of the page.

Last edited:
dah, quick correction. I have never travelled da mists.

- Klack.

Last edited:
Housemother Adlao,

Are you well? You seem not yourself.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Back