ok so lets go there again .....necromancy

Hi
New to alliance not new to larp. I moved to Portland a few months ago an on the main sight I'm reading the rules of the land an blatantly under crimes it says necromancy is punished by death.
This is interesting to me an some what of a problem. In my last system I played a Nero healer
(Yes I know the idea seams odd ) named Faust who is terrificly insane an is the best representation of true neutral I could come up with for he took no side Fightin off the monsters one minute an healing them the next as such he was also a necromancer now in my old system necromancy was merely frowned upon an was actually a valuable school of magic if attacked by undead now am I to understand that even if I'm not playing an evil character I'm to be branded evil an sentenced to death? Am I going to have to hid the fact that I'm a necro from the general masses ? I really want to bring Faust back an play him again but if I'm going to be on death row right away I might reconsider I'm just trying to get a idea of what people are going to say.
Also I was wondering I had quite a bit of time&experience in my last system put into Faust and I would like to bring him back at above first lvl but I'm not sure if this is possible has anyone ever heard of a character transfer at above first lvl ?
Thanks an curses
Faust Deathlight

You can be whatever you want to be, just remember all actions can have consequences. In the game world, necromancy is a crime, and publicly being a necromancer or even being publicly sympathetic to necromancy is putting a giant target on yourself for immediate death. I know of several characters who openly kill necromancers on sight, and the High Ogre race is specifically designed to be anti-necromancy with the "Resist Necromancy" racial ability.

Pages 101-102 of the Alliance Rulebook explain this further, ending with
"The existence of laws against necromancy
are an unalterable rule of the game. Further,
you cannot complain if your character is caught
casting necromancy and is sentenced to a death
(or worse) because of it. You have been warned,
and it’s the risk you decide to take on your own."

Howdy,

First off, welcome aboard! Second, feel free to ask any chapter-specific questions down in the Oregon boards found here. In the specific, the in-game laws for the Oregon campaign can be found here. Here's the law you're interested in: Necromancy - the most common punishment for the use of necromancy is death. Also, please note: Those empowered to dispense justice hold the authority to mete punishment as they see fit to any degree within their ability. :)

-JP
Oregon Head of Plot

Howdy and welcome!

To answer your first question, yes, Necromancy is always illegal. It's perfectly within the rules to create a necromancer as a character, however casting necromantic spells is illegal in the game world in every chapter. Part of the reason is for game balance: you gain both offensive spells and healing spells at the same time, which is more powerful than Celestial casters, who only have offensive spells and can't switch them around. There's a lot of arguments to be made about how much it does or doesn't impact game balance (and I don't want to start that debate, it's pretty far off topic), but it at least causes a lot of role play.

As far as the impacts of casting Necromancy as a PC, if you get caught by "the law," you'll almost certainly be killed for it. A lot of players play "Good Guys" and will turn you in, but that's not necessarily the case with everyone. If your character did something like you described (casting Necromancy in a big, public fight) you'd pretty much guarantee that you'll be killed for it. On the same token, even if you were running around healing creatures that the "Good Guys" were killing, you'd probably get in a lot of trouble, also (even if there was no Necromancy being cast).

To answer your second question, no, you can't transfer a character in from another game into Alliance. However, that doesn't mean that you have to start at first level! You can try out the game as an NPC, and your character will gain experience as though it was there. You could also donate to your local chapter, and you'd gain what are called Goblin Points, which can be used to advance your character as well. You mentioned that you were in Portland, and Alliance Oregon and Alliance Seattle both award enough Goblin Points for a well-written character history to advance a first level character to second level. Between that and NPCing a game or two, it's not that hard to bring in a new character at 4th level or so.

To answer your implicit questions, I recommend against trying to re-create a character that you've already played in another system. It generally doesn't go very well, since the system and world will undoubtedly be very different. That's not to say that you can't do it, but all of the history and interactions you had with the other version of the character won't apply, and it may not be possible to really represent the character the same way in our game. I recommend making a different character for this game, and keeping the good times you had with another character in another game distinct so that you can create a new story with a new character in a new game that will all fit together in a way that will probably be more fun to play.

Finally, our game is very "group oriented." By this, I mean that the most successful players (those who tend to have the most fun, not necessarily those who are "best" at something) tend to work with a group and play as a team. The game is intentionally built so that no one person can do everything, and encounters are usually geared towards involving an adventuring group or more. Characters with difficult personalities (specifically those that people consider "insane") tend to get left out of the game, left behind in town, or shunned by other players. If you think about it, why would anyone take "that crazy guy" into a life and death sort of situation? There are several archetypes in our game ("Crazy Guy," "Dressed in All Black and Sits Alone in the Tavern Guy," etc) that might work ok in a Table-Top RPG, but don't really work in a Live Action game because no one will trust them or talk to them, and that makes for a really lame weekend. I recommend trying to make a character that will work well with others (even if it's not a 'Good Guy,' 'Bad Guys' need groups too!) and will help you get involved, because that's the best ability you can have when starting a game like this.

~Matt,
Head of Plot,
Alliance Seattle

NECRO BAD!

High Ogre ------->

First off thank you all for your helpful replys an information I value the suggestions an input of alliance veterans as a new player to the system an from the sounds of it I will be making a completely new character an play that for a while before trying if I ever do to reroll Faust

I haven't had a chance to order the rule book yet but am going to this week but I would like to inquire about the magic school of mezomancy or mind/mental magic ? As to its existence and legality ?

The Command effect group contains many effects such as Shun, Sleep, and Charm which are castable spells as well as Berserk, Love, Dominate, Fear and Vampire Charm which follow similar rules but are either alchemical or monster only. Awaken is a spell which removes Command effects. All the Command spells can be learned and used equally by earth and celestial magic users.

Stone elves and Biata have "mental abilities" which are roleplay oriented and fit the card of what you are looking for.

Back