Old school PVC player looking for ultra light tips,

Brooks

okay,
whats the best way to make a ultra light 2 handed swords? I'm good at pvc, but don't know "how you kids make them new fangled devices now" aka no idea where to start. Looking for those tips that come with experience of making many ultra lights.

any thoughts would be appreciated

Brooks
aka Yonkie

I believe Kite Spar is used for the core, everything is your standard open/closed cell foam for the appropriate bits (blade, tip(s), etc.). All appropriate sizes, natch.

http://www.kitebuilder.com/catalog/inde ... 009bd484f1 I think is what you are looking for, probably one of the two down at the very bottom.

Build em exactly the same just with kitespar or carbon fiber cores

If you go carbon fiber & have to cut, tape off areas you are cutting with painters or masking tape to avoid splintering.

You can use liquid latex & standard Citadel paints mixed in a 10:1 ratio & make your own latex paints.

There are some source sites on this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=161&t=9507

Also for cutting fiberglass and carbon fiber, I reccomend a dremel with a cutting wheel over a hacksaw. You will save yourself a lot of time and get a much cleaner cut.

Since kite-spar is far more rigid that PVC, one can often retain rigidity over a longer length with a much small diameter, ie. most 2-Hander PVC pipe needs to be at least 3/4" in order to pass the "whip test", but if you don't mind investing $9-12 a core (for a Diamondridge or other high-carbon material), you can use 1/2" or even 3/8" Kite-spar for a 2-Hander and it still won't whip.

The trick will be to find pipe insulation which fits the core and still meets the 5/8" wall regulations. This can get tricky if you're not using the standard 1/2" or 3/4" core. If you choose to go with a thinner core, you'll have to figure a way to either: find smaller circumference insulation (expensive); resize the foam you have (must have a sure exacto hand); stuff the gap in the core with liquid-foam insulation (will demand more maintenance and add weight).

One last note, when you're looking at which Kite-spar to buy, keep an eye on the Outer-Diameter (which will determine your insulation inner diameter), the total length (some sites only sell thinner spar in 3' lots or shorter), and solid vs hollow core (you'll prolly want hollow core in order to minimize weight).

PS. Brooksy, ¿I thought you'd foresworn UL as demon-spawn? Why the sudden shift?

for finding the right foam size, I recommend taking a small end of the kitespar/carbon fibre rod to the hardware store with you.
Even though the OD might match what is labeled on the foam, that is based upon the interior diameter of the pipe & not the OD of the pipe (which differs for iron, pvc, & copper because of wall thickness, which carbon fiber does not seem to match at all).
One trick I did for my carbon fiber staff was to use 2 layers of tape on the core to fill it out to the foam. There is still a slight give, but it is barely perceptible.

I wouldn't recommend 1/2 kitespar for a 2 hander, however 1/2 carbon fiber is much more rigid and will work. You can also cut a thin strip of closed cell and tape it to the core before wrapping it in foam as you normally would, to take up the excess space between the core and the inner wall of the closed cell foam. I believe for Kitespar, .660 OD is popular for 2 handers and .505 or .525 for 1 handers.

Thanks for all the help! it really points me in the right direction. Hopefully my first build will work, but i have a feeling I might need to try a couple of times.

John, they are demon spaw, and i still use pvc. Although havoc made me a really light pvc 2 handed that I love. This thing is as light at utlra lights, but the nice feel of pvc (I.e. the grips) But they are sorta of a gift.

Brooks

for my quarterstaff, I went 0.840 carbon fiber. It gives almost the same exterior diameter of 3/4 PVC.

My polearm core is 1/2" carbon fiber, It's ridiculous how light it is.

If the part of PVC weapons that you like is the grip, you can take some PVC and split it length-wise and put it around the grip of the weapon. This will not only give you the feel of PVC but some additional weight at the grip end which will allow for better balance of the weapon and faster swings.

thanks Sean, that is exactly what i was about to ask, but now i know. my practice 2 hander is a copper pipe, filled with sand and capped. i can't wait to see how fast i can be, but still maintain that light tap when I strike. My friend was really impressed i could swing so fast with the pipe, but still tap him when i made contact.

now to order, :)

Just a heads up. I know a few people that use 2 Kitespar poles per 2hder.

Usually to reduce the whip factor, if you're using the thinner stuff, right...?

Only "two hander" I've ever made was a staff, and whip isn't a worry so much with those :)

Back