One last query!

Sheakhan

Adept
Can any weapon with a waylay pommel be used to waylay, or is it, like the last game I played, restricted to one-handed short weapons and blunt weapons only?

IE: Can I waylay with a longsword or greataxe, if it has the proper waylay cushion?

Per page 69:

This skill can be performed with any of the following weapons: one handed edged, one handed blunt, crossbow, small weapon, and any object made entirely of open-cell foam that is not a thrown weapon. It may not be used with two handed weapons, spears, staves, bows, bolts, arrows, thrown weapons, claws, or shields

So a longsword? Sure. Two-handed axe? Nope.

This also seems to suggest that the answer to my last question regarding crossovers between thrown weapons and waylay widgets was mislead. Or is that largely up to the Marshall? For instance, I built a tanto with an open cell pommel and no core, aiming to make both a thrown weapon and a waylay widget. According to the rules on waylay ends, its an acceptable widget, and also according to rules, a lb acceptable throwing weapon, however this reference would require it only be registered as one or the other, somewhat arbitrarily.

Eh?

Your question:
Can thrown weapons/waylay widgets count as both? For instance, the rulebook mentions rocks as both viable waylay and thrown implements, is this true for any thrown weapon that meets both category requirements?

Matt's answer:

An object can be tagged as a thrown weapon and as a waylay legal item separately, but it is possible for a weapon to be both.

-----

So, an item can be both, sure.

Even though the rulebook explicitly states they can't? If Matt is the end of the line authority on the matter, than great! Otherwise I want to be absolutely certain so I don't waste materials building illegal weapons. :p

Actually, our end-of-the-line authority for rules clarifications is the Alliance Rules Committee on the National Alliance Forums. But, for simple stuff we Rules Marshals can clarify.

The answer to your "can thrown weapons be used to waylay" is answered on Page 82 of the rulebook under the description of Thrown Weapons.

All Thrown Weapons may be used to Waylay.

And again on Page 69 in the large write-up on Waylay.

Formatted for clarity

This skill can be performed with any of the following weapons:
  • one handed edged
  • one handed blunt
  • crossbow
  • small weapon
  • thrown weapons
  • and any object made entirely of opencell foam that is not a thrown weapon.

It maynot be used with
  • two handed weapons
  • spears
  • staves
  • bows
  • bolts, arrows
  • claws
  • or shields.

P.S. Evan, are you looking at ARB v1.1? ARB v1.2, page 69 does not contain Thrown Weapon on the exclusion list for Waylay.

I've got the same thing that Evan does in my book (which is 1.2) but also the other bit. IIRC, the exclusion is a typo. (The other option doesn't make any sense.) Somebody who's not on a phone should check ARC, I bet there's an addendum, and if there's not, there should be.
Matt

Here's the secret sauce behind the answers: Thrown Weapons may be used to Waylay *if* they are approved as Waylay-safe.

Recent changes have allowed non-Waylay safe Thrown Weapons to be passed for the first time in Alliance. Thus, a Thrown Weapon is no longer automatically Waylay-safe, but if it's passed as Waylay-safe it can be used to Waylay.

Make sense?

-Bryan
(Seattle Head of Rules, so in this case I guess I'm the "final answer" for the moment)

Whoops, I had quoted from my previous ARB which I apparently failed to delete with the new one.

And now I'm sad, as the new one has Virid waylaying someone.

I'm gonna go now. :(

Yeah, feel that sadness Evan, I told you what would happen if you didn't go to the last event :p

His last words were "If only Zeth were here to life me..."

True story.

obcidian said:
I've got the same thing that Evan does in my book (which is 1.2) but also the other bit. IIRC, the exclusion is a typo. (The other option doesn't make any sense.) Somebody who's not on a phone should check ARC, I bet there's an addendum, and if there's not, there should be.
Matt

I am looking at the PDF. Are you looking at the hard copy? I would check my hard copy, but I don't think I have a hard copy of the v1.2.

Victory! Thank you everyone for the responses. I shall commence operation: Waylay Tomahawk.

I take it back, the wording is slightly different in mine, but it is a 1.2 pdf. Looking at it again, I realize I was searching for references to "thrown weapon" and saw a line saying that waylay may be used with "any object made entirely of opencell foam that is not a thrown weapon." Now that I'm not viewing it on a tiny screen, it is easier to see that the line begins "This skill can be performed with any of the following weapons: one handed edged, one handed blunt, crossbow, small weapon, thrown weapons, and any object made entirely of opencell foam that is not a thrown weapon."
Context!

I also just found this on page 84:
"Thrown Weapons can be of many different shapes and sizes. They must be constructed with no core and may not be internally weighted with hard materials. These weapons can never be used as a melee weapon in a fight; they must be thrown. Because they can be odd sizes and shapes, they must be approved on a case-by-case basis. All Thrown Weapons may be used to Waylay"

Back