One Winter Night in Deepjug's Tavern...

Raen

((OOG: Jay suggested a while ago that we start a tavern thread for some downtime RP out here in the open, on the forums, where everyone can choose to be involved. I thought it was a fantastic idea, so I'm moving it along a little by randomly scene setting a little...

Is your PC staying in New Acarthia over the winter, or travelling through? Consider participating! Though remember to give the thread a little time as many of us have dayjobs. *smiles*))

Winter at Deepjug's tavern. The short hours of winter daylight have passed, and the cold, quiet New Acarthian night has settled in. Out of doors, the chill is deep, and the moonlight reflected from the snow fills the area with a pale, ambient glow. Inside, though? The hearth is warm and the familiar benches clean...

At the front of the tavern, the doors open and then thud shut. A moment later, a silhouette separates itself from the shadows at the doorway - Tinder, looking pale and hollow, a little shrunken about the eyes, and a little distant in the expression, shuffles into the room wrapped tightly in a pile of fur. Tiny, leafless branches hold her hair in a state of disarray (though there is, perhaps, a small, brown, clinging leaf here and there), as well as a light dusting of of frosty snow. Shaking herself off, she makes her way slowly across the tavern floor, looking for a small space near-ish to the fire. Her cloak falls open, and a small stack of what appears to be letters can be seen in one bony, brown tipped hand.

Stoney Deepjug, owner of the Deepjug tavern, looks across the room and sees the dryad. It's been a slow night, the stock has been counted, put away, and new stock ordered. He has given Hari a few weeks off for vacation, and his old habits of bar-tending and socializing come right back like an old trusty axe. "Need something warm, lass?"

Tinder starts a little and looks about, blinking a she does so, as if surprised to hear someone speaking to her. After a moment, having returned her attention fully to Stoney, that distant expression seems to thaw a little.

She smiles, or tries to. The expression is definitely less than her usual chipper cheer.

"Warm, yes. That would be lovely. If it's no trouble," she answers, voice quiet and somewhat low. Her words start to trail off as she almost absentmindedly finds herself a place to sit. "It's mostly warmth, or about warmth, I forget which." She flashes him another small smile. "I'm sorry. The sun is down," she adds, as if this is the most perfect explanation in the world.

"Hrmm, I am thinking herbal tea for this one..." he says aloud. With a curious glance back at her, he adds, "something with a calming, soothing effect." He puts a pot of water over the iron stove and waits for the boil. He peeks back out a few times to make sure she is still there and still alright. After several minutes, he returns and hands her the cup and a small snack. He recalls her last comment many moments ago... "That is is. That it is. You gonna be alright dear?"

She accepts the cup gratefully, her eyes brightening finally as she wraps her fingers around it. (The letters are now arranged on the table, and she appears to be working her way through them).

"Eventually, yes. It is winter, is all. I may not sleep as others sleep, but I am not as spry as a pine, or a fir, in weather like this." Looking back up at him, she works on finding that smile again, and adds, "As soon as my fingers thaw, I'll get to my coin - it's rather buried at the moment. How are you, sir?"

"More spry than an old horned elf." Lucian takes a few moments to carefully brush the snow from his large horns with the fringe of his scarf before continuing towards the fire and taking a seat closer to the dancing flames than Tinder. "I'm surprised you stayed in New Acarthia over the winter. Figured you'd be tucked away in some tower library."

He smiles up to Stoney, "Master Deepjug, a pleasure to see you and enjoy the hospitality of your tavern on this cold evening."

"I do prefer my tower," she murmurs softly, withdrawing down into her clothes now that Lucian has arrived, "but my tower is not here, and here is where I am, and where I am has reasons." She sighs slightly, as her words trail off slowly to herself. "Dawn will come, and I'll sun myself in a window while Brennan reminds me that open windows let in the chill."

Finally, she draws a hand back out of the folds of her clothing, and gingerly leaves the proper amount of coin to pay for her tea, etc, on the well-loved tabletop.

"Ah reasons!" He grins a bit, "Better than doing things for no reason at all I suppose. The trick with Brennan and leaving windows open is to close the drapes behind you. And being at least modestly dressed."

He takes the coin and smiles in her direction. "I am fine my dear. We have plenty of wood for the fire, and plenty of tea and food for the weary. Welcome Lucian. May I get you something warm?"

Lucian's hand waves over the fire, "You've already provided a great fire to warm old bones. I would appreciate a wine or ale, whichever you have available for the wayward traveler."

Back