Parry vs Spell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draven

Count
So,

I've seen people talk about using parry to intercept a spell for someone else, but I can't seem to find a posting or a rule that actually allows that. Spell Parry explicitly allows to Cloak a Magic effect within parry range, and uses Parry to "fuel" it, but I can find nothing that actually allows a standard parry to "catch up" to a spell to intercept it. Am I missing something?

Wait, what? This is the first I have heard of someone using just a Parry on a spell. If someone is only using a Parry, with no Spell Parry, to stop a spell then that person needs to be called on it and reminded that Parry by itself cannot be used to stop a spell.

Unless you're talking about someone using a Parry on a Spellstrike to take the effect in lieu of the person hit by the Spellstrike? Because I have seen that.

Upvote 0
Seth is correct. Spell Parry functions can stop any magic delivery, be it full incant, "magic <effect>" or a spellstrike. In addition, Parry (and Riposte, for that matter) can be used to make yourself the target of a spellstrike that hit someone you could otherwise Parry for, however it does not stop the effect. The person who parried would still be able to call defenses, such as Cloak and Bane, Spell Shield or Reflect Magic, any applicable Resists, etc. I am not particularly comfortable with allowing someone to Parry a spellstrike and then Dodge to avoid the effect, although I do not believe it is explicitly disallowed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For reference, Evan,

From the Parry description:

"A Parry allows the character to defend
against any one physical weapon delivered attack,
including arrows, bolts and thrown weapons,
but not a Waylay."

A Spellstrike is a physical weapon delivered attack, so should be Parry-able for another person (though it does not negate the spell's effect, that would require a separate spell defense). Riposte would work the same way, though only insofar as acting like a Parry - a Riposte would NOT "reflect" the Spellstrike back at the wielder, merely make the Riposte'r the target of the Spellstrike instead, and allowing for an applicable defense to be used.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back