Pipe Insulation Question

Gandian Ravenscroft

Knight
Chicago Staff
Marshal
Since I began my LARPing career two events ago and don't have my own weapons yet, I feel I need to build my own weapons (longsword and short sword for those who are curious). However, upon going to Home Depot to buy supplies for such items, I found the pipe insulation not being helpful at all. The rulebook says that I should use 5/8'' thick, but there was no foam that was that thick there. The thickest one I saw was probably somewhere around 3/8'', which, obvious, is nowhere near enough.

So my question is this: What do I do about it?

I used a pool noodle for my staff, which worked out nicely. A pool noodle has a smaller inner diameter than pipe insulation, so it's really most suitable for thin weapon cores like kite spar, fishing poles and golf club handles.

Howdy.
I too live in an area where most hardware stores don't carry 5/8" thick foam (it just doesn't get cold enough in most of the NW to need it).

You've got a few options. One is pool noodle, as was suggested above, but it tends to be thicker, breaks down faster and can be a pain to work with. (Never try to shave pool noodle down to be thinner, it reduces the life of the foam dramatically!)

Another option is to double up 3/8" inch stuff. Simply put the first layer on, cut another piece lengthwise (easy if the foam comes pre-split, an most does) and put it over the first one. There will probably be a gap down the length of the weapon, which you'll need to fill with another strip of foam. Occasionally you can get really lucky and find one piece of foam that has a large enough inner diameter that it will fit around the piece of foam that fits your core, but that's pretty uncommon.

Finally, you can order foam online (that's what I do). I get mine from McLendon's in Seattle (try this one or this one, depending on pipe thickness.) Stores that specialize in plumbing are more likely to have a wider variety of foam. You can probably find a store more local to you, try calling stores in your area so you don't waste your time driving all over town. When you call, make sure you talk to someone in plumbing and ask for 5/8" Wall insulation (or 3/4" wall, which is more common and perfectly legal.) They'll probably ask you if you're using copper or iron pipe, and you're not using either, but depending on the core you are using, it's probably about the same as either 1/2" or 3/4" copper pipe.

~Matt,
Weapon guy,
Marshal

honestly I'd probably suggest ordering online. While other methods can work, the single correct thickness piece of foam is going to look better, and be a lot less of a headache. ;)

Thank you both! I'll probably go with the double-layering-the-thin-layers option.

Gondola, my man...

There are at least two Menards stores in teh twin cites area that carry 5/8" wall pipe insulation. I'd have a look at the local Menards stores before resorting to double layer foam.

Thaquib, my man....

I shall do that. The double layering doesn't sound fun at all and it probably makes for a cruddier weapon anyway.

Josh is the man when it comes to weapons and other hot reps, I think he just manufactures his own foam and cores from raw materials...

I would call up Menard's, check Google for pluming supply places in the Twin Cities area, and check other hardware stores round the area too. The 2 layer method is ok, but it tends to break down faster from what I hear...and can be a pain in the >.> neck.

If you need help lookin' just let me know, I think I have to dig around for some too pretty soon.

OR just do what I do....Josh....honey....ma man....I has that green paper you like....I want purdy boffer staff! :D (Josh is a sucker for puppy eyes too >.> keep that on the DL though...)

-Brent

Hello All.
I just go to Josh.
He does the best work that i have seen.
And he's pretty cheap.
I have no skill in making weapons or sewing or anything like that.
My armor, staff and dagger were all made by him and done very well.
That and everyone in the area get's their larping stuff from him.
Have fun.
Al

P.S.
Also in case i haven't said it enought.
Great job on the armor Josh.
And thanks

Haha, it seems that we are just a bunch of Marketing Reps for Josh >.>

I think its an awesome idea to make your own rep. So I would try if you got the determination :D Check those stores, and let me know if you find any haha

Okay, I found the proper thickness insulation I need! Yay!

However, I'm not doing do well with the open-cell stuff. Any recommendations there?

Fabric store/craft store or like a Fred Meyer. Look in the camping section for 'camp mattresses.' They're just a big piece of open cell foam, like 6' by 3' by 3". (Not to be confused with the closed cell foam camp pads.)

As long as were putting shameless marketing plugs out there I'm back in MN for college now and I make just about everything to... Josh does great work, but he's not the only one who can make stuff... ;)

Next question: The rulebook says (at step 2): "Take two inch-long pieces of pipe insulation foam (about a quarter circle each) and secure one tightly to each end. Slide the blade foam onto the core, stopping when you reach the foam plug you just affixed. Tape over the end so that the foam cannot slide down."

What does this mean? Do I stop sliding the blade foam so that the tip of the blade foam is level with the bottom of the plug or when the tip is at the same level as the plug's tip? I assume the latter, being as it is a plug, but I thought I'd ask, being as the rulebook is vague on that subject.

The latter. You're plugging the end of the pipe, then sliding the body of the blade foam until the top of of the blade foam (where your tip will be) is relatively flush with the plug.

basically you don't want the core material in your weapon to come to the edge of the closed cell foam, or the weapon will fail.

Well, thank you all for your advice! I have completed my two necessary reps (long and short swords) and will probably finish up my dagger in the near future. Once again, thank you all for your help and guidance! I couldn't have completed my weapons without you!

Now I just hope they pass inspection...

Yep, passing inspection is the trick. I generally bring extra foam, tape and a hacksaw just in case there is an issue with my reps. Even though I've played dozens of games with them there is always a chance someone won't like something and in that situation you want to be able to take the time to build em right.

The best practice is to build a new rep for each game and donate the old one. That's what I have been doing. Started with a heavy foam bat and now my sword is ultralight and pretty sweet.

Back