Player Generated Guides

Miragel

After some very awesome chats with some of the other players the topic of Civility and Etiquette came up.

As I understand it, the nobility in this chapter will be held to a pretty high standard of action, decorum, and grace. Rivervale is holding Civility classes even! (Which I will certainly be attending) I had some questions about where the standards for courtly behavior come from in Alliance, as well as the honorifics (Your Grace, Your Eminance, Your Honor, etc).

I ask because I'm playing one of the Baron(ess)s, and I want to help create a sense of consistency among my team and potentially others. That said -

* If there is not already a players guide for etiquette and titles?
* If one does not exist, would it be okay for me to create one? (Arguably the cultural norms would only apply to my Barony and would differ outside of Tiatar. Obviously Orc, Dwarf, and maybe even Human standards would be different, but this might be a decent base for others)
* Would anyone else be interested in receiving that kind of document?
* This document could potentially go so far as to cover appropriate language, forms of address, clothing, and maybe court positions relevant to that Barony

The document Id' compose would likely take directly from historical sources and other bits and pieces from other games materials)

Thanks!
-Jules

This is a marvelous idea, and I'm very much interested in a document like this.

Trace

Traceroo said:
This is a marvelous idea, and I'm very much interested in a document like this.

Well this was mostly your idea :)

-Jules

That must be why I like it so much! :wub2:

Not hardly -- But thank you for the kind deflection. A written document is a lovely way to start building our own world within Alliance as a local game. And that idea, m'dear, is definitely all yours!

Trace

Love it!! However, wait for the player's guide to see what is covered in there before duplicating some things. How to address the nobles will be included but I'm not sure about what other etiquette you're referring to... so you probably will want to see what your document can include that the player's guide did not.

As a side note, the more player generated in game documents the better!!! Keep em coming!!
Next year, you might even find it in our next edition of the player's guide!!!

Jesse

Cool,

when is the players guide expected out btw?
-Jules

Concerning Traveling to other lands:
There is not much in the way of Alliance standard, per se. The Alliance Ruleset tries to govern mechanics so that when you show up to another chapter, you know how to play the game. On the other hand, they try to allow for maximum creativity in local world building, so things like nobility are less strict/consistent. Pages 29-31 of the rulebook are going to be your best bet for across chapter play. You can now download version 1.2 for free. http://alliancelarp.com/books.php

Internally to the chapter, a lot of this stuff is up to us. When nobility visits other chapters (and if you visit other chapters) you should remember that the travelling nobility has no authority locally, beyond that of an ambassador (a Duke from San Fran couldn't give you orders). Also, customs vary widely. For example, in SoMN and Chicago, Sheriffs wear the red belt and are lower than squires. Squires are a little more official and important, there. (Basically bump everyone up one rank, and move sheriffs to the bottom. Squires end up a bit more like a knight).

So in short, make sure you understand pages 29-31 for travelers from other lands and for travelling. If you see players making an effort to use proper decorum, but are flubbing it, be gentle and help them along (which I'm sure you'd do anyways, you're awesome!) None of this stuff is natural, it is a fantasy world after all :)

The staff made guides are due this Friday, after which Jesse will grade them (joking). Once he's had time to refine everything, it'll be out!

I think this is an excellent idea for the courts and nobility, the expectations and the like. Are there any racial exceptions or lenience?

I think there should, and there may already, be some of these kinds of goodies available in the racial packets regarding tidbits like:
- Etiquette with the Elderly
- Polite and Rude Behaviours
- Common phrases and sayings
- Any auspicious dates, occasions, or signs
- Are there good or bad omens that are culturally recognized by the races? Can we pull any from the backstory/history?

It's flavor and spice and doesn't have to be observed by everyone, this isn't how to act at game, it's how to be informed and proper, should your character care about such things. Or, on the opposite end, if you want to play the annoying brigand that people would rather just leave town ,it takes all kinds to be appreciative of what you have, then they have a set of guides on what not to do, to be foul and uncouth.

Awesome idea, LOVE IT,
Klandaghi

^^ I nominate this person to write any outstanding racial packets. I like how this one thinks! :wub2:

Trace

Heh, while I appreciate the vote of confidence, I'd have a hard time of it to start. :zonks: For one, I'd have to go about learning about each of the different races to a level befitting a scholar. I'd want to interview players of those races locally. Much like the real world, being in a different region could have different customs and beliefs. So while there is an over-arcing background and culture, the local culture could be different. I like the idea, but I feel like I'd want another character for it. :nerd: I don't think I could play 2 characters at the same time in a weekend, though, is it possible to have a character that does not come to events, or at least not often? It might be fun to have a traveling scholar that is working to document the various races and compile his own book on their culture and quirks. I fear the characters involvement would be more fluff and flavor, with the other items I've spoken above as being the facts extrapolated, while the document the character would produce would be more a compilation of experiences and things learned from the adventures. :sweat:

:grrr: I'm liking that more and more. Should my original character not work out, I might just do this type of character instead. :thumbsup:

Time will tell,
Laters,
Klandaghi

I have a draft of the etiquette document in to Jesse for approval (I can't imagine with all the other stuff going on though that it'll get a stamp of approval before game this weekend). Ray and I will likely print a draft tho. It's intended to be a scholarly document on the code and how it applies in TIatar as well as some rules of etiquette.

Thanks for all the thoughts yall!
-Jules

Back