Post Deleted

Re: Epic Armoury Stuff

I've got their Persian Blade, and I wasn't terribly impressed by it as compared to Calimacil, especially for less than a $30 difference in price. That said, it certainly isn't terrible, just not anywhere near Calimacil's quality.

How are we rating Calamacil's "quality?"

They make very pretty weapons. They're also the makers of the only weapons that have left me bruised for longer than a week. They generally seem to have sacrificed safety for aesthetics. Perhaps you've had more luck with them.

I would shop around online for the weapons. At http://www.darkknightarmoury.com, the same weapons are around $10 cheaper. Not much of a difference, and I don't think that they offer free shipping but it never hurts to look about.

What I do is find a weapon I like, put it into the google search engine under "Images" and then click on the pics to the linked page and comparative shop that way.

As for bruising, I've been hit with wooden swords in class that have hurt less than many boffer fights I've been in. 90% of the damage is in the wielder, not the weapon.

markusdark said:
As for bruising, I've been hit with wooden swords in class that have hurt less than many boffer fights I've been in. 90% of the damage is in the wielder, not the weapon.

qft: same boffer in 1 hand is safe if they are not swinging through the target.

I know that safety relies on the player with the latex weapon, but I will agree that Calimacil's weapons are a little less friendly. They're gorgeous, but I'd rather be hit by one of the weapons from Epic Armoury. My main issue with the Epic stuff is that some of their weapons are just as pretty as Calimacil, but others are just ugly. Look carefully at the weapon before you buy it.

SkollWolfrun said:
markusdark said:

qft: same boffer in 1 hand is safe if they are not swinging through the target.

Exactly. A lot of us, myself included, have picked up some really, really bad habits from the incredibly nice safety margins built into boffers. It took a few practice fights to get a proper feel for the speed and force to use, because the Calimacils are balanced much more like a real sword than a boffer usually is and have a proper sword edge, so they will transmit more felt force than a 2" diameter piece of pipe foam.

That said, they're the de-facto weapon of choice for a large number of other games, who don't seem to have any greater safety problems than we do.

I will go ahead and throw my support behind the people of http://larpwarrior.com

Where you buy does matter when it comes to quality and service. The key word in that sentence being service. These guys recently handled an order for me and were incredibly easy to deal with. They answered my emails promptly (on a holiday!!!), gave me custom shipping options, and were just really helpful in their recommendations and replies.

I fully intend to do business with these guys again and highly recommend them! :thumbsup:

Back