[.11] Potency - Way better for Celestial ?

Eldor

Artisan
According to the description for the ritual effect of "Potency"

"A character may benefit from the Potency ritual of each specific Element (as listed on the scroll) no more than once per Logistics period"

My impression as to what this means, is that Earth casters could only ever benefit from having one potency casting, as they are limited to (Healing), while Celestial could have four castings (Stone, Lightning, Ice and Flame).

This does not seem fair at all. I can understand, wanting to limit the buff to healing, but at least allow the earth casters to get as many uses as a celestial and make it four per logistics.

If the intention of the wording was to mean that you only get one use of the specified element per casting of the Potency ritual per logistics period, then there needs to be some clarification.

The description states there is a 10 minute duration. Not sure if that resolves what you are concerned about.

Potency (General, Body / Item [Any], Daily) - The Potency Ritual pulls elemental forces into the wielder's body to empower all spells of a specific type to deal increased damage for a limited time. This Ritual allows the wielder to, once per Logistics period, add 5 points to any numeric call they make from casting a spell in memory or from a Battle Magic scroll for ten minutes. The 5 points will only be added to the specific Elemental force which is bound into the Ritual by the Ritual Caster at the time it is cast. The Elemental force may only be chosen from the following: Chaos, Healing, Flame, Ice, Stone, Lightning. When this Ritual is cast for the Healing element, it is considered an Earth Ritual; when cast for the Chaos element, it is considered a Necromantic Ritual; and when cast for Flame, Ice, Stone, or Lightning, it is considered a Celestial Ritual. Note that this does not affect Channeling damage or weapon damage. A character may benefit from the Potency ritual of each specific Element (as listed on the scroll) no more than once per Logistics period

It lists the elemental forces as chaos, earth, stone, lightning, ice and fire.

Then at the end of the text states that a person may benefit from the ritual once per day for each elemental force.

The only viable option for healers is earth, meaning they only get to use it once.

Celestial have 4 different elemental option to empower per day.

This means that celestial casters get 40 minutes of +5 damage compared to healers 10 minutes of +5 healing.

With the ability to choose my element on casting, in a lasting fight, I could be at +5 for most if not all of it. As a healer its not possible.

Or the other option, you can only benefit from one potency ritual per logistics period, regardless of element.

I understand the reason that a restriction would exist, as Potency is the only ritual that adds any real power to the game, rather than transforming or modifying existing power.

I also agree that if it should be resurrected, it would be more balanced to just restrict it to once per Logistics Period, rather than once per element per LP.

I guess my question would be why is this a ritual instead of a skill for scholars that would work just like crit attack and back attack? +1 for 10min, can use 5 at a time, etc.

Edit to add: could still keep pick an element restrictions, only one batch active at a time, etc.

Last edited:
Better question, why are we allowing the addition of damage any way? Thought we are trying to stay away from the damage bloat.

I guess my question would be why is this a ritual instead of a skill for scholars that would work just like crit attack and back attack? +1 for 10min, can use 5 at a time, etc.

Edit to add: could still keep pick an element restrictions, only one batch active at a time, etc.

I like idea of potency being a skill for scholars, similar to crit and back attacks, it would allow a caster to be extra effective for brief moments of time (damage or healing) and would follow a game mechanic already in place.

Its use would not add any more complication than crit and back attacks, while allowing more diversity of play style to scholars.

Back