Pushing Crossbow construction to the limit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davion

Scholar
Colorado Staff
I'm about to embark on making a latex crossbow with one mission - make it really cool looking. The only limiting factors in the book really seem to be size and materials. It says no string can be attached. Please answer these questions based on YOUR opinions as a marshal. Please don't tell me it'll depend on my local marshal, I already know that. I'd like to hear from several marshals.

1) However, if I want to give the illusion of string, could I have 1" diameter foam tubes built into that part of the weapon?
2) Can the weapon have holes in it? for example, this crossbow's weapon stock. http://gallery.thecrossbowstore.com/Crossbow/Hunting-Crossbow-MK-250A1W-01.jpg
3) I've seen people do lots of duct tape loops on their ranged weapons to hold packets. Has there ever been an official ruling on if this is legal?

Also, I noticed there is a mistake in the book. It says the crossbow can only be made out of closed cell foam. Shouldn't there be a provision allowing for the butt to be open cell foam? The weapon is allowed a waylay tip under the skill, and every other crossbow I've made has had a waylay tip.

The weapon construction guidelines in the book are out of date.

Please see this ARC post for further information:

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=14871&p=157914#p156239

As with all weapons, it is always up to your local chapter's marshals to determine whether the weapon passes construction and safety guidelines.

Upvote 0
I'll second Matt's opinions.

So long as the tubes are secure, and the outside dimensions follow the guidelines, I don't see any reason there couldn't be string repped in foam, and negative space.

As for the securing of packets to the weapon, I've seen it done in many places and no one's ever raised an eyebrow.

Upvote 0
In theory nothing you're proposing would be auto-fail, but like any other weapon I'd have to see and handle the completed rep to give a final yes/no.

toddo
HQ Marshal

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back