Question about item rebuild and extenders.

Tantarus

Knight
When we rebuild an item, do we take the extender and make it into points and rebuild it. Or do we set the extender aside, rebuild the item and reapply the same extender it currently has? Regardless of gaining or losing a total number of rituals.

This is up to the person doing the converting. Either option is acceptable. Note that if a batch "overflows" (i.e. creates more Rituals than an Item can have on it), the newly created "overflow" batch that's split off will not have an Extender unless one is explicitly purchased with leftover Ritual Points.

-Bryan Gregory
ARC

I just want to make sure I understand this correctly, so consider the following: Imagine I have a 1/day Bane item that expires in 2 years. Per the "If your item lasts longer than a year but does not have an explicit "Extender" ritual (such as many items generated from Treasure Policy), it is presumed to have a Preserve Duration that lasts until the specified date" inclusion, my item is worth a total of 675 points (350 from the Bane, 325 for a base difficulty Preserve).

Can I then spend my points on, for example, a Spell Store 5 (350 points) and a new Preserve (325 points) to create a 5-year item out of what had been a 2-year item? If so, is there any reason for me not to convert all of my current items with Preserves into brand-new 5-year items rather than letting them carry on their otherwise 2-5 year durations?

I believe the intent is that if the item has a Preserve before conversion and a Preserve after conversion, the logistics periods left on the new Preserve are based on the time left on the old preserve, regardless of what accounting method you used to arrange for that circumstance.

(But I'm not in any way in charge of item conversion stuff, so don't take that as law)

I just want to make sure I understand this correctly, so consider the following: Imagine I have a 1/day Bane item that expires in 2 years. Per the "If your item lasts longer than a year but does not have an explicit "Extender" ritual (such as many items generated from Treasure Policy), it is presumed to have a Preserve Duration that lasts until the specified date" inclusion, my item is worth a total of 675 points (350 from the Bane, 325 for a base difficulty Preserve).

Can I then spend my points on, for example, a Spell Store 5 (350 points) and a new Preserve (325 points) to create a 5-year item out of what had been a 2-year item? If so, is there any reason for me not to convert all of my current items with Preserves into brand-new 5-year items rather than letting them carry on their otherwise 2-5 year durations?

@Stana any insight?

Based off of them item calculator tool, if you are keeping the extender you don’t count its points and the number of logistics periods will be determined when 2.0 goes live.

Check the notes and example towards the bottom.

Maybe I'm still mistaken, but that example isn't clear whether "keeping the original Preserve" is optional or you can buy a new one, especially given the precedent that you can buy a new Preserve (that will presumably last 5 years) for rituals that you move to a new item. If I can make the rituals I move to a new item have a full length Preserve, why wouldn't I be able to apply a full-length Preserve to the rits I kept on the item?

Because you have to pay for that second preserve if you are moving things.

Realistically, I think we should all be able to agree that taking a preserved item that’s going to expire in August, rebuilding it with a “new” preserve, bought using the points from a preserve that is expiring in 5 months, is cheesy as all get out, regardless of whether we interpret the text on the spreadsheet in one way or another.

If that’s our starting point, I think we can work backwards to, “Your preserve stays and the charges left are based off of the expiration date of your preserve.”

It does state that if your old item is preserved and your new one will be preserved, don’t factor in the points from it.

Personally, I think that makes it fairly clear.

Realistically, I think we should all be able to agree that taking a preserved item that’s going to expire in August, rebuilding it with a “new” preserve, bought using the points from a preserve that is expiring in 5 months, is cheesy as all get out, regardless of whether we interpret the text on the spreadsheet in one way or another.
Imagine that you have a ring worth 2000 points that expires in 13 months. You consider it cheesy to change the enchantments on the ring and give it a new 5-year Preserve, but how it any less cheesy for me to switch some of the points over to a longsword and give it a new 5-year Preserve?

Believe me, I agree with that's cheesy to generate a 5-year item from a non-5-year item, and it is rife with opportunities to exploit. If I were the one creating the conversion policy, I honestly don't think any purchased Preserve (new or old) should create an item with a longer duration than what their batch originally was, regardless of whether the ritual points are switching target or not. If that is indeed the intent, I think it needs to be made more explicitly clear by ARC. After all, I wouldn't want some chapters to be interpreting it one way and generating new 5-year items for all its players while another chapter is doing it another and generating items with their existing durations.

Hey @Polare, any clarification on the intent of what duration people should be getting out of their items when buying Preserves?

Stuff like this is why I’m half tempted to just toss out my old MIs and start from scratch. >.>

Imagine that you have a ring worth 2000 points that expires in 13 months. You consider it cheesy to change the enchantments on the ring and give it a new 5-year Preserve, but how it any less cheesy for me to switch some of the points over to a longsword and give it a new 5-year Preserve?

I’d be less concerned about switching some of the rituals over to another item because they are then paying out to buy a new preserve from the rituals that are not on the ring.

I’m sort of with you . I’m buying a lot of items for my team and friends and just changing my style to use less items in the future.
Stuff like this is why I’m half tempted to just toss out my old MIs and start from scratch. >.>

Would it be hard to calculate a preserve's point value based on how many months were left on it? So if people wanted to put a fresh preserve on something it would cost more out of their pool?

I may have missed it but some Rit values are changing. So how is loose change on a MI handled?

It disappears into the mists.

Back