Question on sword construction.

A

Anonymous

I'm thinking of starting construction on weapons for my character (a long sword and a dagger) specificly my long sword is going to be a sabre which is where the question developes, I intend it to have cup hilt that will cover the exterior of my hand, since it isn't s striking surface I was wondering if i would require padding, depending on the answer I have three ideas on how to accomplish it.
1. I could take a peice of PVC tubing with an inside measurement equal if not larger than my balled fist and cut it to a triangle that would cover the front portion of my hand. (this would be Ideal)

2. If the surface needs to be padded, I could take the same design and cover it in foam and seal it all with duct tape. (this is what I'm expecting to do)

or
3. I could do what I have done in the past and forget the added pvc and just use foam to create the guard, This loses a great deal of rigidity for the hand hold and vaguely defeats the purpose but in the long run the weapon is safer and lighter.

I've read over the weapon requirements and this was the only question I had.
Thank you.

Kazander

I'm most definately not an official weapons inspector, and I haven't been playing for long, but I do know one basic thing: Only the core is core. In other words, a weapon is almost sure to fail if it has core substance sticking out in odd places. I once, (back in my very first event) tried to make a Keyblade out of PVC and foam. Yes, it was stupid. Yes, it was geeky. And yes, it failed utterly in the five different incarnations I made it in. It was always because I had used core as a hilt materiel instead of just going straight through the weapon.

The last suggestion sounds the best, to me. Mostly because you don't ever really need to protect your hand. Plus, the lighter the weapon, the better.

Kazander said:
I could do what I have done in the past and forget the added pvc and just use foam to create the guard, This loses a great deal of rigidity for the hand hold and vaguely defeats the purpose but in the long run the weapon is safer and lighter.

I've read over the weapon requirements and this was the only question I had.
Thank you.

Kazander
this is the one most likly to work, and to be honest the lack of purpose isnt a problem, as weapon hits are not legal on the weapon hand. So you dont actally need it to protect you.

Back